Chinese cars to hit U.S. shores (from the guy that brought us theYugo)

Old August 4th 05, 04:40 PM
Brian Stell

Default Chinese cars to hit U.S. shores (from the guy that brought us theYugo)

In the middle of the Chinese rotor debate I stumbled
across this:

From: Bill Vlasic / Detroit News

First Chinese cars to hit U.S. shores

Malcolm Bricklin, the man behind the Yugo, to lead
new import wave in 2007.

NEW YORK -- A newlyformed company led by auto entrepreneur
Malcolm Bricklin and the investment banking firm Allen &
Co. has signed the first-ever deal to import cars made in
China for sale in the United States.

Bricklin, known best for bringing the ultra-cheap Yugo car
to the U.S. market in the 1980s, is expected to announce
the agreement today between New York-based Visionary
Vehicles LLC and Chery Automobile Co., one of the fastest-
growing players in the fledgling Chinese auto industry.

The deal to import up to 250,000 Chinese-made cars annually
beginning in 2007 was finalized Dec. 16 at Chery's
corporate headquarters in Anhui Province in eastern China,
Bricklin told The Detroit News in an interview.
Old August 4th 05, 06:34 PM

Some group, I believe in Houston, also announced plans recently to import
Chinese vehicles into the
USA. Article was in the Houston Chronicle some time ago, but I have heard
no followup.

Should be interesting.

Old August 4th 05, 06:42 PM
sdlomi2

"Brian Stell" > wrote in message
m...
> In the middle of the Chinese rotor debate I stumbled
> across this:
>
> From: Bill Vlasic / Detroit News
>
> First Chinese cars to hit U.S. shores
>
> Malcolm Bricklin, the man behind the Yugo, to lead
> new import wave in 2007.
>
> NEW YORK -- A newlyformed company led by auto entrepreneur
> Malcolm Bricklin and the investment banking firm Allen &
> Co. has signed the first-ever deal to import cars made in
> China for sale in the United States.
>
> Bricklin, known best for bringing the ultra-cheap Yugo car
> to the U.S. market in the 1980s, is expected to announce
> the agreement today between New York-based Visionary
> Vehicles LLC and Chery Automobile Co., one of the fastest-
> growing players in the fledgling Chinese auto industry.
>
> The deal to import up to 250,000 Chinese-made cars annually
> beginning in 2007 was finalized Dec. 16 at Chery's
> corporate headquarters in Anhui Province in eastern China,
> Bricklin told The Detroit News in an interview.

Wonder how much a knock-off of a new Corvette would cost? s

Old August 4th 05, 09:13 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

> Wonder how much a knock-off of a new Corvette would cost

Malcolm Bricklin selling a fiberglas sports car... whoa, there's a
flashback...

--Joe

Old August 4th 05, 10:02 PM

"Ad absurdum per aspera" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> > Wonder how much a knock-off of a new Corvette would cost

> Malcolm Bricklin selling a fiberglas sports car... whoa, there's a
> flashback...
>
> --Joe

I wonder if it would be possible to manufacture a reasonably priced
(fibreglass, maybe) car, cobbled up from some of the better components
around from the major producers?

Fitted to a sturdy chassis frame with strong and accurate suspension.

Shooting for attractive, economical, and long lasting...minimizing
microprocessors
and using robust electrical systems.

Air conditioning systems that dont rot out, and with compressors built to
last...
maybe even using R13 as a refrigerant ;>)

Old August 4th 05, 10:35 PM
Al Bundy

They still need to meet emissions and safety standard so that is a
limiting factor. I'd like to see them put the price squeeze on the Big
Three though. Cars have been overpriced for too long.
Let the usual lackeys flame in now and chide me for not being a homeboy.

Old August 4th 05, 10:36 PM
sdlomi2

> wrote in message
t...

> "Ad absurdum per aspera" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > > Wonder how much a knock-off of a new Corvette would cost

> > Malcolm Bricklin selling a fiberglas sports car... whoa, there's a
> > flashback...
> >
> > --Joe

> I wonder if it would be possible to manufacture a reasonably priced
> (fibreglass, maybe) car, cobbled up from some of the better components
> around from the major producers?
>
> Fitted to a sturdy chassis frame with strong and accurate suspension.
>
> Shooting for attractive, economical, and long lasting...minimizing
> microprocessors
> and using robust electrical systems.
>
> Air conditioning systems that dont rot out, and with compressors built to
> last...
> maybe even using R13 as a refrigerant ;>)

Sounds great to us, as owners. But what about the companies' $-health
which relies on designed obsolescence? s

Old August 4th 05, 11:47 PM
Steve B.

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:40:35 GMT, Brian Stell >
wrote:

>In the middle of the Chinese rotor debate I stumbled
>across this:
>
>From: Bill Vlasic / Detroit News
>
>First Chinese cars to hit U.S. shores

And the already have their "Wal-Mart dealear network" in place with
fully unfuctional service departments!

Steve B.
Old August 5th 05, 02:31 AM
Professor

I fear the Chery might be much better quality than some expect...

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old August 5th 05, 04:26 AM
William R. Watt

Brian Stell ) writes:
> In the middle of the Chinese rotor debate I stumbled
> across this:
>
> From: Bill Vlasic / Detroit News
>
> First Chinese cars to hit U.S. shores
>
> Malcolm Bricklin, the man behind the Yugo, to lead
> new import wave in 2007.
>
> NEW YORK -- A newlyformed company led by auto entrepreneur
> Malcolm Bricklin and the investment banking firm Allen &
> Co. has signed the first-ever deal to import cars made in
> China for sale in the United States.
>
> Bricklin, known best for bringing the ultra-cheap Yugo car
> to the U.S. market in the 1980s, is expected to announce

The Yugo was made in Yugoslavia which disintigrated into civil war in the
1990's. Any connection? Should someone inform the Chinese?

> the agreement today between New York-based Visionary
> Vehicles LLC and Chery Automobile Co., one of the fastest-
> growing players in the fledgling Chinese auto industry.
>
> The deal to import up to 250,000 Chinese-made cars annually
> beginning in 2007 was finalized Dec. 16 at Chery's
> corporate headquarters in Anhui Province in eastern China,
> Bricklin told The Detroit News in an interview.

Let's see if I've go this right, they'll be sold by WalMart in the US as
"Bricklin's" to demonstrate the Chinese can make cars with as few
problems as the Big Three. I don't know. I bought tires at WalMart and
they've lasted really well.

Maybe Malcolm B has some drug debt left over from one of his previous
autombile enterprises to pay off.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Street smarts: high-powered cars less likely to crash, insurer finds spinfire Driving 7 April 29th 05 08:21 AM
YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
European Cars Least Reliable Richard Schulman VW water cooled 3 November 11th 04 09:41 AM
Women driven cars aniram General 43 April 8th 04 06:51 AM
Dream Cars, The Best Cars in the World Rare Old Things Antique cars 0 February 14th 04 04:38 AM