Offboard hybridization

Old September 17th 11, 02:10 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
hls

Default Offboard hybridization

> wrote in message >
> Anything that reduces engine compression can make a diesel difficult
> to start. Twisting the crank is a theoretical possibilty - but it
> ranks up there pretty close to getting to the moon without a rocket.

But, that was apparently what had happened.
Old September 17th 11, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J R[_2_]

Starting fluid is good for setting the bead on stubborn old tires too.
cuhulin

Old September 17th 11, 04:50 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/17/2011 06:10 AM, useless uselessness wrote:

> > wrote in message >
>> Anything that reduces engine compression can make a diesel difficult
>> to start. Twisting the crank is a theoretical possibilty - but it
>> ranks up there pretty close to getting to the moon without a rocket.

> But, that was apparently what had happened.

no, it's what you were /told/ was happened. told by someone who didn't
want to deal with idiots who couldn't maintain their vehicle properly
and were compounding the problem by abusing it when it started to fail.

as for the possibility of bending a crank, have you the slightest clue
what kind of force that would require? hint - it's more than it would
take to burst through an aluminum cylinder crown. even if you're
filling the cylinder with tnt, and by no means are you doing that with
ether whose energy yield is only 31.7MJ/kg vs 45.7MJ/kg for diesel,
you'd sure need one heck of a lot to get there. as opposed of course to
metal fatigue which is a known issue with any high hours engine, and
diesels are absolutely no exception, especially the cheaper ones.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 18th 11, 12:31 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 08:10:08 -0500, "hls" > wrote:

> wrote in message >
>> Anything that reduces engine compression can make a diesel difficult
>> to start. Twisting the crank is a theoretical possibilty - but it
>> ranks up there pretty close to getting to the moon without a rocket.

>But, that was apparently what had happened.

Was it ever confirmed? because bending the crank would cause a whole
lot of other issues - like extreme rough running etc - and MOST cranks
would break before they would bend. Like 99.9999% or better.

My bet is the engine lost compression for one reason or another -
scored cyl or broken rings being the most likely.
Old September 18th 11, 02:04 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 08:10:08 -0500, "hls" > wrote:
>

> wrote in message >
>>> Anything that reduces engine compression can make a diesel difficult
>>> to start. Twisting the crank is a theoretical possibilty - but it
>>> ranks up there pretty close to getting to the moon without a rocket.

>>But, that was apparently what had happened.

> Was it ever confirmed? because bending the crank would cause a whole
> lot of other issues - like extreme rough running etc - and MOST cranks
> would break before they would bend. Like 99.9999% or better.
>
> My bet is the engine lost compression for one reason or another -
> scored cyl or broken rings being the most likely.

Why would you think we called in a local diesel mechanic?
Yes, the forklift was repaired, and this was the diagnosis.

Old September 18th 11, 03:34 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/17/2011 06:04 PM, hls wrote:

> > wrote in message

>>> But, that was apparently what had happened.

>> Was it ever confirmed? because bending the crank would cause a whole
>> lot of other issues - like extreme rough running etc - and MOST cranks
>> would break before they would bend. Like 99.9999% or better.
>>
>> My bet is the engine lost compression for one reason or another -
>> scored cyl or broken rings being the most likely.

> Why would you think we called in a local diesel mechanic?
> Yes, the forklift was repaired, and this was the diagnosis.

iow, you got sold a new engine. because you don't straighten cranks -
they're too hard to bend. and the mechanic didn't want to deal with the
problems the abuse had caused.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 19th 11, 10:20 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
AD[_2_]

On Sep 16, 5:50*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> On 09/16/2011 04:02 AM, AD wrote:

> >> no. and i didn't decide to demonstrate my low i.q. either.

> > Don't be hard on yourself. You seem to be smarter than
> > you try to appear with the claim that a cheap ass passenger car
> > that detroit bean counters worked tirelessly on could ever match
> > the sophistication and all weather performance of a quarter million
> > "nearly everything is heated" rig delivering a trailerful of diapers
> > to the frigid parts of the canada.

> > I have no problem with an idea of a $40k+ diesel. But I hardly doubt
> > FHI could build a sub $30k one
> > with the corner cases (frigid weather) handled properly.

> rather than baselessly speculate from in front of a tv that
> drip-drip-drip's you anti-diesel propaganda because it's in the
> interests of the controlling oligarchy to keep selling you inefficient
> vehicles that consume way more fuel than necessary, buy yourself a plane
> ticket and go to sweden, norway, finland, russia, or any other frigid
> country where they actually run diesels in the winter. *there you will
> see all kinds of cheap diesel cars making mockery of our propaganda.

Yes, some diesels here run fine most of the time. But they are not
without a problems.
They *do* get stuck when it;'s below -25C (around -10F I'd guess)
and primarily because the cheapasses who don't want to pay for gas
neglected
the maintenance as well. Of course starting a gas engine at -25C takes
a toll
on a gas engine as well.

Another reason diesels are bought here is because some folk at the
public transit, etc
have a side "business" selling the diesel that belongs to their
employer to the
above mentioned cheapskates.

I'd have no problem buying a diesel as a second car in the family for
long demiseason trips,
having a gasoline fallback for a harsh winter month. If I had the
money that is.
That and needing to take long trips often.

And, then, there are folks who install gas equipment turning the car
into a bomb on wheels:
luckily, they have to repay their savings at the technical inspection
time.

If you want to run the car on the same fuel that heats your home and
forego spare tire and
half of the trunk then by all means you can join them.
Old September 19th 11, 04:53 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/19/2011 02:20 AM, AD wrote:
> On Sep 16, 5:50�pm, jim > wrote:

>>> Don't be hard on yourself. You seem to be smarter than
>>> you try to appear with the claim that a cheap ass passenger car
>>> that detroit bean counters worked tirelessly on could ever match
>>> the sophistication and all weather performance of a quarter million
>>> "nearly everything is heated" rig delivering a trailerful of diapers
>>> to the frigid parts of the canada.

>>> I have no problem with an idea of a $40k+ diesel. But I hardly doubt
>>> FHI could build a sub $30k one
>>> with the corner cases (frigid weather) handled properly.

>> rather than baselessly speculate from in front of a tv that
>> drip-drip-drip's you anti-diesel propaganda because it's in the
>> interests of the controlling oligarchy to keep selling you inefficient
>> vehicles that consume way more fuel than necessary, buy yourself a plane
>> ticket and go to sweden, norway, finland, russia, or any other frigid
>> country where they actually run diesels in the winter. �there you will
>> see all kinds of cheap diesel cars making mockery of our propaganda.
>>

> Yes, some diesels here run fine most of the time. But they are not
> without a problems.
> They *do* get stuck when it;'s below -25C (around -10F I'd guess)
> and primarily because the cheapasses who don't want to pay for gas
> neglected
> the maintenance as well. Of course starting a gas engine at -25C takes
> a toll
> on a gas engine as well.
>
> Another reason diesels are bought here is because some folk at the
> public transit, etc
> have a side "business" selling the diesel that belongs to their
> employer to the
> above mentioned cheapskates.
>
> I'd have no problem buying a diesel as a second car in the family for
> long demiseason trips,
> having a gasoline fallback for a harsh winter month. If I had the
> money that is.
> That and needing to take long trips often.

apart from working on diesels professionally, i've owned diesels, and
one thing i definitely dislike about them is the fueling process. if
you get it on your hands, the stink stays for ages.

and in the old days of mechanical pumps and glow plugs, they were
clattery, noisy, and yes, sometimes hard to start. but modern
electronically controlled common rail direct injection diesels are a
whole different matter. fast, torquey, quiet, reliable, economical...
they're just awesome. really, oiligopilies aside, it's hard to
comprehend why we don't all use them.

Old September 20th 11, 08:49 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
AD[_2_]

On Sep 19, 6:53*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> On 09/19/2011 02:20 AM, AD wrote:

> >> rather than baselessly speculate from in front of a tv that
> >> drip-drip-drip's you anti-diesel propaganda because it's in the
> >> interests of the controlling oligarchy to keep selling you inefficient
> >> vehicles that consume way more fuel than necessary, buy yourself a plane
> >> ticket and go to sweden, norway, finland, russia, or any other frigid
> >> country where they actually run diesels in the winter. there you will
> >> see all kinds of cheap diesel cars making mockery of our propaganda.

> > Yes, some diesels here run fine most of the time. But they are not
> > without a problems.
> > They *do* get stuck when it;'s below -25C (around -10F I'd guess)
> > and primarily because the cheapasses who don't want to pay for gas
> > neglected
> > the maintenance as well. Of course starting a gas engine at -25C takes
> > a toll
> > on a gas engine as well.

> > Another reason diesels are bought here is because some folk at the
> > public transit, etc
> > have a side "business" selling the diesel that belongs to their
> > employer to the
> > above mentioned cheapskates.

> > I'd have no problem buying a diesel as a second car in the family for
> > long demiseason trips,
> > having a gasoline fallback for a harsh winter month. If I had the
> > money that is.
> > That and needing to take long trips often.

> apart from working on diesels professionally, i've owned diesels, and

I take it that you drive 500+ newton-meters monster of an engine in
bmw 335d
as opposed to doing a 105 hp euro diesel penance in vw

that engine would be awful in the most areas in the states in anything
heavier than rabbit/golf
given that 2.0 liter 4 pot is considered "low displacement"

to clarify the context: are you residing in a snow or a sunbelt state
and what is the minimum temperature you are seeing in winter.