Dark or blackout tail lamps

Old February 22nd 05, 08:11 PM

Default Dark or blackout tail lamps

Is anyone familiar with a tail lamp that creates a "blackout" or high
contrast tail lamp using a polarizer or liquid crystal or some other
approach to create a high contrast of off to on with a brake lamp?

Old February 22nd 05, 11:58 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 wrote:
>

>>Is anyone familiar with a tail lamp that creates a "blackout" or high
>>contrast tail lamp using a polarizer or liquid crystal or some other
>>approach to create a high contrast of off to on with a brake lamp?

> No such device currently exists, to my knowledge. There are Federal and
> international standards for all vehicle signal and lighting functions,
> including minimum and maximum allowable intensity, minimum intensity ratio
> between dim "tail" mode and bright "brake" mode, specific color, angles of
> visibility, etc.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish? Sounds like maybe you are trying to
> increase the daytime contrast between the "off" and "on" state of a
> vehicle signal (brake lamp, turn signal, etc.) to try and alleviate
> sunlight-induced low contrast. If that's a correct guess, and you can
> implement it without running afoul of the standards mentioned above, it
> would be a good contribution to the performance of vehicle signal lights.
> Loss of on/off contrast due to external light (sunlight) is a problem that
> has not really been addressed yet.
>
> DS

This is just a guess, but wouldn't a matte finish on the taillamps
accomplish that rather nicely? Along with a nice smoke tint, ASSuming
of course that one could produce same while still maintaining
appropriate light output.

Of course, a matte finish anything is a cast iron biotch to maintain,
'cause you can't polish it when it's scratched...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 23rd 05, 04:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:

> >>Is anyone familiar with a tail lamp that creates a "blackout" or high
> >>contrast tail lamp using a polarizer or liquid crystal or some other
> >>approach to create a high contrast of off to on with a brake lamp?

> > Maybe you are trying to increase the daytime contrast between the
> > "off" and "on" state of a vehicle signal (brake lamp, turn signal,
> > etc.) to try and alleviate sunlight-induced low contrast. This would
> > be a good contribution to the performance of vehicle signal lights.
> > Loss of on/off contrast due to external light (sunlight) is a problem
> > that has not really been addressed yet.

> This is just a guess, but wouldn't a matte finish on the taillamps
> accomplish that rather nicely? along with a nice smoke tint

Not really. Matte or glossy finish has nothing to do with the question at
hand; we're talking about sunlight making the signals look as though
they're on when they're not -- not about simple specular reflection off
the outermost lens surface. As far as smoke or other tints or matrices:
No, not without exacting a very high toll on efficiency/overall output. If
you've enough extra output that you can afford to throw away a significant
amount of it on transmissivity losses from a smoke tint, jolly good, but
if you have that much extra output, and you're an automaker, you had
better believe that a beancounter is going to take away your extra output
and get himself a promotion with the parts cost savings.

> ASSuming of course that one could produce same while still maintaining
> appropriate light output.

Depends on what you mean by "appropriate". Most of the factory smoke-tint
lights I can think of are at the low end of allowable intensity (Jaguar
sedans and hardtops of the '80s, current Mercedes C-klasse, '90s Saab
9000, assorted VWs, etc.). There have been some brighter-than-bare-minimum
smoked lights (certain GM sedans of the '90s) but these were LARGE lights
with relatively high-intensity light sources.

DS
Old February 23rd 05, 05:16 AM

You are right on the money. The reason for my question is that my
group is doing a project for the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety
Administration). Through our research, we have determined that the
large majority of rear end accidents for tractor trailor trucks are
daytime accidents. With that thought in mind, we are looking for
numerous conspicuity improvements. One of them would be high intensity
stop lights during the day and part of that might be contributed by
high contrast stop lights. Thus, my question. I thought that this
newsgroup might have some ideas to contribute.

Old February 23rd 05, 11:38 AM

LED's are already one of the features we are going to use. They are
used in a fairly high percentage of lighting functions for trucks now.
The reason we are using them is that they are instantaneous turning
on. This has a theoretical advantage in giving extra time for the
following vehicle to stop.

Dark or blackout tail lamps [email protected] Technology 0 February 22nd 05 08:11 PM
tail light guard installation instructions [email protected] Jeep 1 February 12th 05 08:51 PM
electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
selecting our next vehices lighting system rubenoff Technology 4 January 31st 05 10:26 PM
What the heck is Dark Khaki Roy Jeep 3 January 25th 05 02:54 PM