High-Voltage Coil Creates Hole in Pistons?

Old March 28th 05, 06:41 PM
Steve

64bird wrote:

> I have a 64 Thunderbird with a rebuilt 390 (stock) with aftermarket
> intake, carb, and cam. I read a post somewhere that adding a
> high-voltage coil can cause the spark to jump and thus burning a hole
> in stock pistons. The idea is that the engines were not designed to
> handle more than 30,000 volts. I just want to know if anyone has an
> opinion about this? Do you agree with this assessment?

Complete horsefeathers.

However, there's no need for these "super duper monster mega coils!"
that the speed shops like to sell. A number of years ago, we were
looking for an automotive coil to use in a piece of research equipment
(completely non automobile related) and we bought an measured quite a
few to see what the peak voltage they could put out was. The best
performer? A generic stock-looking coil from K-mart. The worst
performer? That gigantic bright yellow plastic cased coil Accel used to
sell.

Old March 28th 05, 08:30 PM
John S.

Not possible. And those high-voltage Pep Boys special coils are
nothing more that a way to separate you from your money.

Old June 16th 05, 05:18 AM

We used auto coils for a ESD torture test box several years ago. We
found that the best thing for our purpose was a double-top-tit round
coil used on Onan stationary engines. One of the guys in the shop had a
homemade air boat with a four cylinder Continental with a homemade
ignition that used four of these. Each cylinder had two plugs, but
instead of one coil per jug, he found that a arrangement using one coil
for two cylinders each,doubled, and fired in pairs (the 'wasted spark')
worked best. The stock magnetoes were almost a thousand dollars
each-his homemade arrangement cost $100.