Bluetooth

Old December 29th 04, 04:22 AM
John E Yurkon

Default Bluetooth

I tried a Treo 650 smartphone, after intalling the latest carkit update for
it, with a 2005 525i. It worked flawlessly. Of course I only used it for a
short time at the dealership but all the functions I tried worked well. It
also downloaded the quickdial list from the phone. Before installing the
carkit update on the Treo things weren't so nice.

I hope this is true for 2004 vehicles as well because I now plan on
installing a bluetooth kit in an M3.

I was told by the dealership that there are no plans for making a bluetooth
install kit that is compatible with assist for 2004 and earlier vehicles.
Can anyone verify this?

John

Old December 29th 04, 05:02 AM
Pete M

In ,
John E Yurkon > decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with
a rant as follows
> I tried a Treo 650 smartphone, after intalling the latest carkit
> update for it, with a 2005 525i. It worked flawlessly. Of course I
> only used it for a short time at the dealership but all the functions
> I tried worked well. It also downloaded the quickdial list from the
> phone. Before installing the carkit update on the Treo things
> weren't so nice.
> I hope this is true for 2004 vehicles as well because I now plan on
> installing a bluetooth kit in an M3.
>
> I was told by the dealership that there are no plans for making a
> bluetooth install kit that is compatible with assist for 2004 and
> earlier vehicles. Can anyone verify this?

Someone I know has a 2003 530d and the bluetooth car kit has caused
monumental problems with the iDrive system, it was fitted by a BMW main
agent and since fitting the car has suffered from some pretty serious
problems, eg iDrive has crashed a few times and at one point the bluetooth
system caused the headlights to switch off at random times. Since the
bluetooth install the iDrive set up has been very unreliable.

Maybe this is why BMW are avoiding bluetooth setups?

--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E, BMW 730iSE (not as good as the Merc)
Ford Capri (ressurection started)
"Never moon a werewolf"

COSOC #5
Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain

Old December 29th 04, 12:52 PM
John Carrier

"Pete M" > wrote in message
> In ,
> John E Yurkon > decided to enlighten our sheltered souls
> with a rant as follows
>> I tried a Treo 650 smartphone, after intalling the latest carkit
>> update for it, with a 2005 525i. It worked flawlessly. Of course I
>> only used it for a short time at the dealership but all the functions
>> I tried worked well. It also downloaded the quickdial list from the
>> phone. Before installing the carkit update on the Treo things
>> weren't so nice.
>> I hope this is true for 2004 vehicles as well because I now plan on
>> installing a bluetooth kit in an M3.
>>
>> I was told by the dealership that there are no plans for making a
>> bluetooth install kit that is compatible with assist for 2004 and
>> earlier vehicles. Can anyone verify this?

> Someone I know has a 2003 530d and the bluetooth car kit has caused
> monumental problems with the iDrive system, it was fitted by a BMW main
> agent and since fitting the car has suffered from some pretty serious
> problems, eg iDrive has crashed a few times and at one point the bluetooth
> system caused the headlights to switch off at random times. Since the
> bluetooth install the iDrive set up has been very unreliable.

Was the E60 marketed as a 2003 in Europe? Don't think so.

R / John

Old December 29th 04, 02:09 PM
Pete M

In news John Carrier > decided to enlighten our sheltered souls
with a rant as follows
> "Pete M" > wrote in
> message ...
>> In ,
>> John E Yurkon > decided to enlighten our sheltered
>> souls with a rant as follows
>>> I tried a Treo 650 smartphone, after intalling the latest carkit
>>> update for it, with a 2005 525i. It worked flawlessly. Of course I
>>> only used it for a short time at the dealership but all the
>>> functions I tried worked well. It also downloaded the quickdial list
>>> from the
>>> phone. Before installing the carkit update on the Treo things
>>> weren't so nice.
>>> I hope this is true for 2004 vehicles as well because I now plan on
>>> installing a bluetooth kit in an M3.
>>>
>>> I was told by the dealership that there are no plans for making a
>>> bluetooth install kit that is compatible with assist for 2004 and
>>> earlier vehicles. Can anyone verify this?

>> Someone I know has a 2003 530d and the bluetooth car kit has caused
>> monumental problems with the iDrive system, it was fitted by a BMW
>> main agent and since fitting the car has suffered from some pretty
>> serious problems, eg iDrive has crashed a few times and at one point
>> the bluetooth system caused the headlights to switch off at random
>> times. Since the bluetooth install the iDrive set up has been very
>> unreliable.

> Was the E60 marketed as a 2003 in Europe? Don't think so.

Might be early 2004. It's a UK "53" plate. Which means between Sept 03 and
March 04.

It's an E60 anyway, it's got iDrive - or did you miss that bit?

Jeez.

--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E - BMW 730iSE (nowhere near as good as the Merc)

Old December 29th 04, 07:47 PM
Andrew Thomas

John Carrier wrote:
> "Pete M" > wrote in

message
> > In ,
> > John E Yurkon > decided to enlighten our sheltered

souls
> > with a rant as follows
> >> I tried a Treo 650 smartphone, after intalling the latest carkit
> >> update for it, with a 2005 525i. It worked flawlessly. Of course

> >> only used it for a short time at the dealership but all the

functions
> >> I tried worked well. It also downloaded the quickdial list from

the
> >> phone. Before installing the carkit update on the Treo things
> >> weren't so nice.
> >> I hope this is true for 2004 vehicles as well because I now plan

on
> >> installing a bluetooth kit in an M3.
> >>
> >> I was told by the dealership that there are no plans for making a
> >> bluetooth install kit that is compatible with assist for 2004 and
> >> earlier vehicles. Can anyone verify this?

> > Someone I know has a 2003 530d and the bluetooth car kit has caused

> > monumental problems with the iDrive system, it was fitted by a BMW

main
> > agent and since fitting the car has suffered from some pretty

serious
> > problems, eg iDrive has crashed a few times and at one point the

bluetooth
> > system caused the headlights to switch off at random times. Since

the
> > bluetooth install the iDrive set up has been very unreliable.

> Was the E60 marketed as a 2003 in Europe? Don't think so.

Cars are not marketed as "model years" in most European countries. If
the car was built and delivered in the 2,003rd Year of Our Lord, then
it's generally a 2003 car. (This neatly gets around the mild idiocy in
having a "2004 model year" car launched in March of the previous year
and that model "year" lasting for up to 18 months.) "Model year" does
not seem to be used as as selling tool by any manufacturers outside of
Detroit, come to think of it.

Old December 29th 04, 11:02 PM
Pete M

In oups.com,
Andrew Thomas > decided to enlighten our
sheltered souls with a rant as follows
> John Carrier wrote:
>> "Pete M" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> In ,
>>> John E Yurkon > decided to enlighten our sheltered
>>> souls with a rant as follows

>>> Someone I know has a 2003 530d and the bluetooth car kit has caused

>>> monumental problems with the iDrive system, it was fitted by a BMW
>>> main agent and since fitting the car has suffered from some pretty
>>> serious problems, eg iDrive has crashed a few times and at one
>>> point the bluetooth system caused the headlights to switch off at
>>> random times. Since the bluetooth install the iDrive set up has
>>> been very unreliable.

>> Was the E60 marketed as a 2003 in Europe? Don't think so.

> Cars are not marketed as "model years" in most European countries. If
> the car was built and delivered in the 2,003rd Year of Our Lord, then
> it's generally a 2003 car. (This neatly gets around the mild idiocy
> in having a "2004 model year" car launched in March of the previous
> year and that model "year" lasting for up to 18 months.) "Model
> year" does not seem to be used as as selling tool by any
> manufacturers outside of Detroit, come to think of it.

Leave him be. He's one of the reasons why BMW drivers have the reputation
they do.

--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E, BMW 730iSE - For Sale.

Old December 30th 04, 12:23 PM
Andrew Thomas

Pete M wrote:

> >> Was the E60 marketed as a 2003 in Europe? Don't think so.

> > Cars are not marketed as "model years" in most European countries.

If
> > the car was built and delivered in the 2,003rd Year of Our Lord,

then
> > it's generally a 2003 car. (This neatly gets around the mild

idiocy
> > in having a "2004 model year" car launched in March of the previous
> > year and that model "year" lasting for up to 18 months.) "Model
> > year" does not seem to be used as as selling tool by any
> > manufacturers outside of Detroit, come to think of it.

> Leave him be. He's one of the reasons why BMW drivers have the

reputation
> they do.

Hunh? I was merely detailing the different nomenclature used outside
of the US (where model year is used frequently - if not exclusively -
as a differentiator). For "Detroit", read "the U.S. car industry",
since Japanese manufacturers building cars in the U.S. also use
flexible "model years" to differentiate their models. Perhaps you
wereupset by this colloqualism (used, incidentally, by the world's
motoring press to describe same?).

And how this relates to my driving style can only come from the fruits
of your expansive imagination. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me .

Old December 30th 04, 12:27 PM
Andrew Thomas

Pete M wrote:

> >> Was the E60 marketed as a 2003 in Europe? Don't think so.

> > Cars are not marketed as "model years" in most European countries.

If
> > the car was built and delivered in the 2,003rd Year of Our Lord,

then
> > it's generally a 2003 car. (This neatly gets around the mild

idiocy
> > in having a "2004 model year" car launched in March of the previous
> > year and that model "year" lasting for up to 18 months.) "Model
> > year" does not seem to be used as as selling tool by any
> > manufacturers outside of Detroit, come to think of it.

> Leave him be. He's one of the reasons why BMW drivers have the

reputation
> they do.

Hunh? I was merely detailing the different nomenclature used outside
of the US motor industry (colloq. "Detroit") where the flexible model
year merely serves to confuse (as highlighted by this thread). Or were
you advising me instead?

Old December 30th 04, 03:48 PM
Pete M

In oups.com,
Andrew Thomas > decided to enlighten our
sheltered souls with a rant as follows

>>> Cars are not marketed as "model years" in most European countries.
>>> If the car was built and delivered in the 2,003rd Year of Our Lord,
>>> then it's generally a 2003 car. (This neatly gets around the mild
>>> idiocy in having a "2004 model year" car launched in March of the
>>> previous year and that model "year" lasting for up to 18 months.)
>>> "Model year" does not seem to be used as as selling tool by any
>>> manufacturers outside of Detroit, come to think of it.

>> Leave him be. He's one of the reasons why BMW drivers have the
>> reputation they do.

> Hunh? I was merely detailing the different nomenclature used outside
> of the US motor industry (colloq. "Detroit") where the flexible model
> year merely serves to confuse (as highlighted by this thread). Or
> were you advising me instead?

What you stated was entirely correct.

My reason for saying "leave him be" was that he appears to be one of the
strange breed of motorists, particularly BMW driving ones unfortunately,
that jump down the throat of anyone saying things that aren't favourable to
their particular "ultimate brand".

The kind of person that gets BMW drivers the reputation of being know
nothing, whining gob****es, who lease a car purely to impress other people.

You, on the other hand, were merely advising him as to how the real world
regards model years. Something which I take for granted.

--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E, BMW 730iSE - For Sale.
Ford Capri (ressurection started)
"Never moon a werewolf"

COSOC #5
Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain

list of phone bluetooth with 530D luxe pack 2004 m@x BMW 0 November 19th 04 12:56 PM
Bluetooth Manual for 2005 325i Robert Spike BMW 6 November 19th 04 05:31 AM
Bluetooth Hatman BMW 2 October 17th 04 03:31 PM
Microsoft Bluetooth phones Frank BMW 2 October 12th 04 09:14 PM
Buying BMW Bluetooth snap-in adapters online Nicholas F Hodder BMW 0 October 8th 04 02:33 PM