1998 528i 5 speed

Old August 27th 09, 11:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
ReddDawg

Default 1998 528i 5 speed

207000 miles. Just got the car and going through the cooling system,
etc.
Metal impeller water pump
New fan clutch
New coolant switch (the one in the radiator)
If I jump the fan over (center prong to one side) the fan works. A/C
on or not. New switch. No auxillary fan, even when a/c is turned on,
car up to temp, etc. Fuses look good and since I can jump one side of
the connector at the radiator switch I assume the relay is good?

Ideas?

Thanks
Old August 28th 09, 05:11 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
ReddDawg

And... is the climate control unit programmed? Had the battery out
for a few days while I worked on a few things in the trunk and I have
nice cool air through the vents but hot air through the floor vent.

Thanks
Old August 28th 09, 09:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article
ReddDawg > wrote:
> And... is the climate control unit programmed? Had the battery out
> for a few days while I worked on a few things in the trunk and I have
> nice cool air through the vents but hot air through the floor vent.

Nothing on an E39 528 of that age normally gets effected by a complete
power down apart from the radio station memory.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 28th 09, 09:50 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article
ReddDawg > wrote:
> If I jump the fan over (center prong to one side) the fan works. A/C
> on or not. New switch. No auxillary fan, even when a/c is turned on,
> car up to temp, etc. Fuses look good and since I can jump one side of
> the connector at the radiator switch I assume the relay is good?

The fan should run all the time the AC is selected and if the rad switch
calls for it too. You need to check the relay block is getting a signal
when the AC is switched on. But I think both this and the signal from
the rad switch come via the main engine ECU.

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop*

1998 528i problems Alex BMW 1 April 29th 06 10:38 AM
Center Console Cup Holder 1998 528i HooKooKaDoo BMW 0 October 30th 05 12:20 AM
FA/FS: 1998 Wrangler TJ Sport 5-speed Malt_Hound Jeep 0 August 17th 05 02:29 PM
lookink for gearbox ratios for automatic gearbox bmw 528i 1998 RS BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:26 PM
FS: 1998 C5 Z51 6 speed Torch Red Nobody Special Corvette 26 September 22nd 04 09:25 PM