98 528 trunk latch issue

Old November 18th 09, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
ReddDawg

Default 98 528 trunk latch issue

When I got the car the trunk could not be opened by pressing on the
contact pad just above the license plate.
This last weekend the button on the interior of the car (by the
pedals) stopped working.
I can still open the trunk via the button on the key which tells me
that it is (probably) not actuator or solenoid related.

I originally assumed that the micro switch or whatever is under the
contact pad had gone bad. It would seem a bit quirky for that switch
AND the button under the dash to both have gone bad.

Ideas?

Thanks
Old November 18th 09, 12:43 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"ReddDawg" > wrote in message
> When I got the car the trunk could not be opened by pressing on the
> contact pad just above the license plate.
> This last weekend the button on the interior of the car (by the
> pedals) stopped working.
> I can still open the trunk via the button on the key which tells me
> that it is (probably) not actuator or solenoid related.
>
> I originally assumed that the micro switch or whatever is under the
> contact pad had gone bad. It would seem a bit quirky for that switch
> AND the button under the dash to both have gone bad.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks

My guess is that you have put the car into Valet Mode.

In valet mode, you can put your camera and a K of heroin in the trunk, and
the valet can't go party with your ****, and take pictures. I know how to
put my car in valet mode, but I'm not sure how to do it in yours. If there
is a key hole in the trunk lid, try turning it full clockwise, then back to
the center and take the key out, then see if the trunk returns ot normal
operation. Valet is set by using the key and turning it full counter
clockwise then taking it out, leaving the key hole sideways. If the key hole
is verticle, then the car is not in valet mode, if the key hole is
horizontal, then the car is in valet mode.

Old November 18th 09, 12:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
ReddDawg

> My guess is that you have put the car into Valet Mode.
>
> In valet mode, you can put your camera and a K of heroin in the trunk, and
> the valet can't go party with your ****, and take pictures. I know how to
> put my car in valet mode, but I'm not sure how to do it in yours. If there
> is a key hole in the trunk lid, try turning it full clockwise, then back to
> the center and take the key out, then see if the trunk returns ot normal
> operation. Valet is set by using the key and turning it full counter
> clockwise then taking it out, leaving the key hole sideways. If the key hole
> is verticle, then the car is not in valet mode, if the key hole is
> horizontal, then the car is in valet mode.

Actually... SPOT ON! I had dropped it off at the tire shop Saturday
for the r&b thing so they must (assume) have gotten into the trunk to
check the spare. ANYWAY I was doing some other stuff to her tonight
and went to open the trunk. I tried the key manually. Now the switch
under the dash works but still nothing from the contact pad. Now maybe
that switch really is bad?
Old November 18th 09, 12:54 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"ReddDawg" > wrote in message

>> My guess is that you have put the car into Valet Mode.
>>
>> In valet mode, you can put your camera and a K of heroin in the trunk,
>> and
>> the valet can't go party with your ****, and take pictures. I know how to
>> put my car in valet mode, but I'm not sure how to do it in yours. If
>> there
>> is a key hole in the trunk lid, try turning it full clockwise, then back
>> the center and take the key out, then see if the trunk returns ot normal
>> operation. Valet is set by using the key and turning it full counter
>> clockwise then taking it out, leaving the key hole sideways. If the key
>> hole
>> is verticle, then the car is not in valet mode, if the key hole is
>> horizontal, then the car is in valet mode.

> Actually... SPOT ON! I had dropped it off at the tire shop Saturday
> for the r&b thing so they must (assume) have gotten into the trunk to
> check the spare. ANYWAY I was doing some other stuff to her tonight
> and went to open the trunk. I tried the key manually. Now the switch
> under the dash works but still nothing from the contact pad. Now maybe
> that switch really is bad?

That sounds plausible, maybe.

How does the trunk open if you are outside of the car? Can you use the key
and then press the button? If so, the button sounds like it works. If you
can never open the trunk without using the button that is inside, then I'd
go with the button on the trunk lid itself as being a failure item.

Old November 18th 09, 10:12 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article
ReddDawg > wrote:
> Actually... SPOT ON! I had dropped it off at the tire shop Saturday
> for the r&b thing so they must (assume) have gotten into the trunk to
> check the spare. ANYWAY I was doing some other stuff to her tonight
> and went to open the trunk. I tried the key manually. Now the switch
> under the dash works but still nothing from the contact pad. Now maybe
> that switch really is bad?

If you use too much force on the rubber pad it's possible to dislodge the
switch. Can you 'feel' it operating normally? It removes easily - try
doing that and operating it while removed.

That happened to me when my central locking motor died - the natural
reaction is to apply more force to the button.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 19th 09, 02:55 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Alan B. Mac Farlane

with these electric trunks (electric boots as they say across the pond)
it is important to ride around with them CLOSED.

DO NOT EVER run the auto down the street with the trunk lid slightly
open or tied down on some packages ... or holding down large items ...
close the trunk lid always when in auto operation.

They do last a bit longer when done this way.

BMW have to drive with a two foot bubble around them or tear up the
undercarriage on concrete curbage.

Soooo ... welcome to the quirky world of BMW repair from poor operation.

When it is done right they stick around a long time.

:?

Old November 19th 09, 10:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Alan B. Mac Farlane > wrote:
> with these electric trunks (electric boots as they say across the pond)
> it is important to ride around with them CLOSED.

> DO NOT EVER run the auto down the street with the trunk lid slightly
> open or tied down on some packages ... or holding down large items ...
> close the trunk lid always when in auto operation.

> They do last a bit longer when done this way.

Why? You can hear the motor operate. It doesn't do anything with the lid
open. It motors one way when the switch is made then returns under spring
action to set the latch again.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.