1998 Mustang Convertible

Old July 15th 08, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ReddDawg

Default 1998 Mustang Convertible

Just brought it home. 163000 on it, has some issues but for 1500
can't complain. Needs a new rack, tires, air conditioning, ABS light
on and Check Engine light on. It also has a top issue. I will spend
most of a weekend pulling all of the wiring out of the thing from the
previous owner's over use of massive speaker wire! I am good with most
everything but this top is something new to me.

I got it to go down tonight. Windows down, parking brake up, held the
switch down for several seconds and then heard the motor. The top
finally moved and went all the way down. 10 minutes later I had to
manually pull the top up because no matter how much I played with the
parking brake and switch (drove the car) it would not move. Is there a
test for the switch and then the motor? Is the parking brake relay a
possible failure point to also be tested?

Thanks to all in advance!
Old July 15th 08, 11:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kruse

On Jul 14, 11:54 pm, ReddDawg > wrote:
Is there a
> test for the switch and then the motor? Is the parking brake relay a
> possible failure point to also be tested?

Be it from a dealer or a good aftermarket manual, you need a wiring
diagram.
Old July 15th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dan[_30_]

On Jul 14, 9:54*pm, ReddDawg > wrote:
> *Just brought it home. 163000 on it, has some issues but for 1500
> can't complain. Needs a new rack, tires, air conditioning, ABS light
> on and Check Engine light on. It also has a top issue. I will spend
> most of a weekend pulling all of the wiring out of the thing from the
> previous owner's over use of massive speaker wire! I am good with most
> everything but this top is something new to me.
>
> *I got it to go down tonight. Windows down, parking brake up, held the
> switch down for several seconds and then heard the motor. The top
> finally moved and went all the way down. 10 minutes later I had to
> manually pull the top up because no matter how much I played with the
> parking brake and switch (drove the car) it would not move. Is there a
> test for the switch and then the motor? Is the parking brake relay a
> possible failure point to also be tested?
>
> *Thanks to all in advance!

Here's the list of possible sources for that particular trouble:

- Convertible top switch
- Central junction box (CJB) fuse 20 (15A)
- Parking brake switch
- Lower relay
- Raise relay
- Circuitry (basically wiring faults)

Here's a link to the shop manual's diagnostic process (it's an awful
link, I know, but it's all I've got at the moment ):

http://www.planettalso.com/controls/...F8hDQ&tabid=58

Dan
P49Y83+
Old July 16th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ReddDawg

On Jul 15, 5:34 am, Kruse > wrote:
> On Jul 14, 11:54 pm, ReddDawg > wrote:
> Is there a
>
> > test for the switch and then the motor? Is the parking brake relay a
> > possible failure point to also be tested?

> Be it from a dealer or a good aftermarket manual, you need a wiring
> diagram.

A wiring diagram only gives you a schematic of the system(s). I asked
for a test for the switch and then the motor.

Thanks anyway
Old July 16th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ReddDawg

On Jul 15, 11:17 am, Dan > wrote:
> On Jul 14, 9:54 pm, ReddDawg > wrote:
>

> > Just brought it home. 163000 on it, has some issues but for 1500
> > can't complain. Needs a new rack, tires, air conditioning, ABS light
> > on and Check Engine light on. It also has a top issue. I will spend
> > most of a weekend pulling all of the wiring out of the thing from the
> > previous owner's over use of massive speaker wire! I am good with most
> > everything but this top is something new to me.

> > I got it to go down tonight. Windows down, parking brake up, held the
> > switch down for several seconds and then heard the motor. The top
> > finally moved and went all the way down. 10 minutes later I had to
> > manually pull the top up because no matter how much I played with the
> > parking brake and switch (drove the car) it would not move. Is there a
> > test for the switch and then the motor? Is the parking brake relay a
> > possible failure point to also be tested?

> > Thanks to all in advance!

> Here's the list of possible sources for that particular trouble:
>
> - Convertible top switch
> - Central junction box (CJB) fuse 20 (15A)
> - Parking brake switch
> - Lower relay
> - Raise relay
> - Circuitry (basically wiring faults)
>
> Here's a link to the shop manual's diagnostic process (it's an awful
> link, I know, but it's all I've got at the moment ):
>
> http://www.planettalso.com/controls/...enderContent.a...
>
> Dan
> P49Y83+

Dan, golden link! Good stuff most definitely. I will have to dive
into it either Wednesday or this weekend. I went out to wash it
tonight (entire engine compartment is brown from gravel roads) and for
sh!ts and grins I loosened the handles and hit the button a couple of
times - it did work once - started up so I reversed it and it went
back down to the starting point. A few SECONDS later I tried it again
and... well... nothing.

Leads me to assume the switch may be going bad but with it being
intermittent it may be easy (switch not working) or when I test it
voltage passes through and makes me beat my head against the steering
wheel. :-)
Old July 16th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dan[_30_]

On Jul 15, 8:50*pm, ReddDawg > wrote:
> On Jul 15, 11:17 am, Dan > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 14, 9:54 pm, ReddDawg > wrote:

> > > *Just brought it home. 163000 on it, has some issues but for 1500
> > > can't complain. Needs a new rack, tires, air conditioning, ABS light
> > > on and Check Engine light on. It also has a top issue. I will spend
> > > most of a weekend pulling all of the wiring out of the thing from the
> > > previous owner's over use of massive speaker wire! I am good with most
> > > everything but this top is something new to me.

> > > *I got it to go down tonight. Windows down, parking brake up, held the
> > > switch down for several seconds and then heard the motor. The top
> > > finally moved and went all the way down. 10 minutes later I had to
> > > manually pull the top up because no matter how much I played with the
> > > parking brake and switch (drove the car) it would not move. Is there a
> > > test for the switch and then the motor? Is the parking brake relay a
> > > possible failure point to also be tested?

> > > *Thanks to all in advance!

> > Here's the list of possible sources for that particular trouble:

> > - Convertible top switch
> > - Central junction box (CJB) fuse 20 (15A)
> > - Parking brake switch
> > - Lower relay
> > - Raise relay
> > - Circuitry (basically wiring faults)

> > Here's a link to the shop manual's diagnostic process (it's an awful
> > link, I know, but it's all I've got at the moment ):

> >http://www.planettalso.com/controls/...enderContent.a...

> > Dan
> > P49Y83+

> *Dan, golden link! Good stuff most definitely. I will have to dive
> into it either Wednesday or this weekend. I went out to wash it
> tonight (entire engine compartment is brown from gravel roads) and for
> sh!ts and grins I loosened the handles and hit the button a couple of
> times - it did work once - started up so I reversed it and it went
> back down to the starting point. A few SECONDS later I tried it again
> and... well... nothing.
>
> *Leads me to assume the switch may be going bad but with it being
> intermittent it may be easy (switch not working) or when I test it
> voltage passes through and makes me beat my head against the steering
> wheel. :-)- Hide quoted text -

Have you checked the fluid level in the pump? I assumed when you said
that nothing happens that you don't hear the motor, and fluid level
shouldn't effect that, however, it's worth checking .

Dan
P49Y83+
Old July 16th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ReddDawg

> Have you checked the fluid level in the pump? I assumed when you said
> that nothing happens that you don't hear the motor, and fluid level
> shouldn't effect that, however, it's worth checking .
>
> Dan
> P49Y83+- Hide quoted text -

The game plan at this point is to start at the switch and check it
and the parking brake switch while am there - two birds one stone. I
need to pull the console out anyway because some cretin spray painted
some of it blue for accents. (along with the upper vent panel, places
on the door panels)

Anyway, after checking those two and applying contact cleaner to them
if they are good I will move on to the trunk where I get to remove all
of the panels and de-fuse what is left of the monster cable collection
from the previous radio. Do a little spring cleaning and check the
fluid while I am at it.

The feeling I have is that I am going to find it in the top switch or
maybe... maybe a flakey ground. No experience with the pumps but am
assuming/hoping that the intermittant problem is in the switch.
Old July 17th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ReddDawg

On Jul 16, 9:21 am, Dan > wrote:
> On Jul 15, 8:50 pm, ReddDawg > wrote:

> > > Here's the list of possible sources for that particular trouble:

> > > - Convertible top switch
> > > - Central junction box (CJB) fuse 20 (15A)
> > > - Parking brake switch
> > > - Lower relay
> > > - Raise relay
> > > - Circuitry (basically wiring faults)

> > > Here's a link to the shop manual's diagnostic process (it's an awful
> > > link, I know, but it's all I've got at the moment ):

> > >http://www.planettalso.com/controls/...enderContent.a...

> > > Dan
> > > P49Y83+

> > Dan, golden link! Good stuff most definitely. I will have to dive
> > into it either Wednesday or this weekend. I went out to wash it
> > tonight (entire engine compartment is brown from gravel roads) and for
> > sh!ts and grins I loosened the handles and hit the button a couple of
> > times - it did work once - started up so I reversed it and it went
> > back down to the starting point. A few SECONDS later I tried it again
> > and... well... nothing.

> > Leads me to assume the switch may be going bad but with it being
> > intermittent it may be easy (switch not working) or when I test it
> > voltage passes through and makes me beat my head against the steering
> > wheel. :-)- Hide quoted text -

> Have you checked the fluid level in the pump? I assumed when you said
> that nothing happens that you don't hear the motor, and fluid level
> shouldn't effect that, however, it's worth checking .
>
> Dan
> P49Y83+

Update.

Did two baths on the motor last night. When starting it (now) pedal
has to be depressed and then it spits and sputters for several
seconds, then runs. New plugs and wires - old plugs were black. New
air filter. Same situation. Can't find anything not plugged up so
apparently I soaked something. ANYWAY hit the top switch and straight
down she went. Drive it (air must be turned on for the cooling fan to
run - found that out) and when I got back - hit the button and
nothing. 30 seconds later hit the button and the top came right up.

Go figure.
Old July 20th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ah[_3_]

"Dan" > wrote in message
On Jul 14, 9:54 pm, ReddDawg > wrote:
> Just brought it home. 163000 on it, has some issues but for 1500
> can't complain. Needs a new rack, tires, air conditioning, ABS light
> on and Check Engine light on. It also has a top issue. I will spend
> most of a weekend pulling all of the wiring out of the thing from the
> previous owner's over use of massive speaker wire! I am good with most
> everything but this top is something new to me.
>
> I got it to go down tonight. Windows down, parking brake up, held the
> switch down for several seconds and then heard the motor. The top
> finally moved and went all the way down. 10 minutes later I had to
> manually pull the top up because no matter how much I played with the
> parking brake and switch (drove the car) it would not move. Is there a
> test for the switch and then the motor? Is the parking brake relay a
> possible failure point to also be tested?
>
> Thanks to all in advance!

Here's the list of possible sources for that particular trouble:

- Convertible top switch
- Central junction box (CJB) fuse 20 (15A)
- Parking brake switch
- Lower relay
- Raise relay
- Circuitry (basically wiring faults)

Here's a link to the shop manual's diagnostic process (it's an awful
link, I know, but it's all I've got at the moment ):

http://www.planettalso.com/controls/...F8hDQ&tabid=58

Dan
P49Y83+

Dan,
Tiny URL is your friend:
http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Old August 7th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ReddDawg

Traced the top back to the parking brake switch.

On to bigger and better things. Chasing another problem I pulled the
air bag filter and now have the stupid flashing airbag light. I will
pull the glove box and take a swing at resetting that this weekend.

Air conditioning compressor clutch does not engage. I tried jumping
the relay on the top side (close to the firewall) and got the fan to
come onto high but did not get the clutch to engage. I am not getting
power to the compressor. I am assuming the CCRM has given up the ghost?