Crazy driving laws in your state or country

Old July 13th 12, 07:22 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Arklin K.

Default Crazy driving laws in your state or country

In another thread, we were discussing crazy California laws and I got to
wondering what crazy laws are in your state or country.
Old July 13th 12, 07:30 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving
Arklin K.

One weird law I find is that in New York state, you can't transport more
than 25 gallons of fuel in your trunk or pickup bed ... but in
California, that limit is 600 pounds (yes pounds) of gasoline (not
including the gas tank of the vehicle).

Another weird law is that the state of California prohibits putting the
GPS on the windshield (except in the far passenger side corner, which
nobody on the planet would do).
Old July 13th 12, 09:42 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving
NM

On Jul 13, 7:30*am, "Arklin K." > wrote:
> One weird law I find is that in New York state, you can't transport more
> than 25 gallons of fuel in your trunk or pickup bed ... but in
> California, that limit is 600 pounds (yes pounds) of gasoline (not
> including the gas tank of the vehicle).
>
> Another weird law is that the state of California prohibits putting the
> GPS on the windshield (except in the far passenger side corner, which
> nobody on the planet would do).

Moe somewhere less oppressive then, like Mexico, it's just down the
road.
Old July 13th 12, 01:44 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

On 7/13/2012 2:22 AM, Arklin K. wrote:
> In another thread, we were discussing crazy California laws and I got to
> wondering what crazy laws are in your state or country.

1. Driving more than 75 or 80 mph on most interstates is considered
reckless driving

2. Radar Detectors are illegal (it's the only state in the country where
this is the case ...)

Old July 13th 12, 04:58 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_3_]

On 13/07/2012 09:42, NM wrote:

> On Jul 13, 7:30 am, "Arklin K." > wrote:

>> One weird law I find is that in New York state, you can't transport more
>> than 25 gallons of fuel in your trunk or pickup bed ... but in
>> California, that limit is 600 pounds (yes pounds) of gasoline (not
>> including the gas tank of the vehicle).

>> Another weird law is that the state of California prohibits putting the
>> GPS on the windshield (except in the far passenger side corner, which
>> nobody on the planet would do).

> Moe somewhere less oppressive then, like Mexico, it's just down the
> road.

The first time I hired a car in Los Angeles, I took my own satnav with me
(loaded with USA maps). The man at the check-out post told me about the
California state law when he saw the satnav mounted just below the interior
mirror. I moved it over to the top left and have never had any trouble from
the CHP on that or any of my several subsequent trips there.

I suppose that what I really need is one of those little sandbag efforts like
the car-hire firms give you with a rented GPS. Mind you, they charge $15 a
day for a GPS, meaning that a two week holiday costs $210 extra...

Driving in Los Angeles, Orange County or the San Francisco bay area without a
satnav would be foolhardy, IMHO. But once out of those areas and on the more
rural parts of the interstate, it's just like anywhere else. Driving to Las
Vegas, for instance, doesn't require GPS.

Old July 13th 12, 05:13 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving
Mike P[_5_]

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 16:58:48 +0100, JNugent wrote:

> On 13/07/2012 09:42, NM wrote:
>
>> On Jul 13, 7:30 am, "Arklin K." > wrote:

>>> One weird law I find is that in New York state, you can't transport
>>> more than 25 gallons of fuel in your trunk or pickup bed ... but in
>>> California, that limit is 600 pounds (yes pounds) of gasoline (not
>>> including the gas tank of the vehicle).

>>> Another weird law is that the state of California prohibits putting
>>> the GPS on the windshield (except in the far passenger side corner,
>>> which nobody on the planet would do).

>> Moe somewhere less oppressive then, like Mexico, it's just down the
>> road.

> The first time I hired a car in Los Angeles, I took my own satnav with
> me (loaded with USA maps). The man at the check-out post told me about
> the California state law when he saw the satnav mounted just below the
> interior mirror.

Do you really mount it just below the interior mirror? FFS. Talk about a
distraction!

--
Mike P
Old July 13th 12, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

What we need over here are laws that will keep the crazies off the streets.

Old July 13th 12, 08:08 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_3_]

On 13/07/2012 17:13, Mike P wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 16:58:48 +0100, JNugent wrote:

>>> Moe somewhere less oppressive then, like Mexico, it's just down the
>>> road.

>> The first time I hired a car in Los Angeles, I took my own satnav with
>> me (loaded with USA maps). The man at the check-out post told me about
>> the California state law when he saw the satnav mounted just below the
>> interior mirror.

> Do you really mount it just below the interior mirror? FFS. Talk about a
> distraction!

Yes. It's quite a normal place to mount a satnav, being both visible and
reachable and close enough to be able to run the charging cable into the
cigar-lighter socket.

Look about you as you drive around. You will find that it is the most often
seen location for a removable satnav.
Old July 13th 12, 08:19 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving
jgar the jorrible

On Jul 13, 8:58*am, JNugent > wrote:
> On 13/07/2012 09:42, NM wrote:
>
> > On Jul 13, 7:30 am, "Arklin K." > wrote:
> >> One weird law I find is that in New York state, you can't transport more
> >> than 25 gallons of fuel in your trunk or pickup bed ... but in
> >> California, that limit is 600 pounds (yes pounds) of gasoline (not
> >> including the gas tank of the vehicle).
> >> Another weird law is that the state of California prohibits putting the
> >> GPS on the windshield (except in the far passenger side corner, which
> >> nobody on the planet would do).

> > Moe somewhere less oppressive then, like Mexico, it's just down the
> > road.

> The first time I hired a car in Los Angeles, I took my own satnav with me
> (loaded with USA maps). The man at the check-out post told me about the
> California state law when he saw the satnav mounted just below the interior
> mirror. I moved it over to the top left and have never had any trouble from
> the CHP on that or any of my several subsequent trips there.
>
> I suppose that what I really need is one of those little sandbag efforts like
> the car-hire firms give you with a rented GPS. Mind you, they charge $15 a
> day for a GPS, meaning that a two week holiday costs $210 extra...
>
> Driving in Los Angeles, Orange County or the San Francisco bay area without a
> satnav would be foolhardy, IMHO. But once out of those areas and on the more
> rural parts of the interstate, it's just like anywhere else. Driving to Las
> Vegas, for instance, doesn't require GPS.

A few weeks ago, company picnic, satnav tried to tell me to drive in
the "will destroy your tires" exit at the park lol. Good job as
usual, Microsoft Sync! I admit, it has done a good job for me in SF.
But it blows donkeys out in the Sierras, where you could be the next
http://www.traditionalmountaineering...t_JamesKim.htm .

Not so sure I agree with that about LV, man, you get out in the
desert, you could drive miles in the wrong direction.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...YNCMuseum.aspx
Old July 13th 12, 08:28 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_3_]

On 13/07/2012 20:19, jgar the jorrible wrote:
> On Jul 13, 8:58 am, JNugent > wrote:

>>> Moe somewhere less oppressive then, like Mexico, it's just down the
>>> road.

>> The first time I hired a car in Los Angeles, I took my own satnav with me
>> (loaded with USA maps). The man at the check-out post told me about the
>> California state law when he saw the satnav mounted just below the interior
>> mirror. I moved it over to the top left and have never had any trouble from
>> the CHP on that or any of my several subsequent trips there.
>>
>> I suppose that what I really need is one of those little sandbag efforts like
>> the car-hire firms give you with a rented GPS. Mind you, they charge $15 a
>> day for a GPS, meaning that a two week holiday costs $210 extra...
>>
>> Driving in Los Angeles, Orange County or the San Francisco bay area without a
>> satnav would be foolhardy, IMHO. But once out of those areas and on the more
>> rural parts of the interstate, it's just like anywhere else. Driving to Las
>> Vegas, for instance, doesn't require GPS.

> A few weeks ago, company picnic, satnav tried to tell me to drive in
> the "will destroy your tires" exit at the park lol. Good job as
> usual, Microsoft Sync! I admit, it has done a good job for me in SF.
> But it blows donkeys out in the Sierras, where you could be the next
> http://www.traditionalmountaineering...t_JamesKim.htm .
>
> Not so sure I agree with that about LV, man, you get out in the
> desert, you could drive miles in the wrong direction.

:-) What? On I15?