Crazy driving laws in your state or country

Old July 14th 12, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

Default Crazy driving laws in your state or country

Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 06:22:35 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
> > wrote:
>
>> In another thread, we were discussing crazy California laws and I got to
>> wondering what crazy laws are in your state or country.

> In NY and at least one or two other eastern states, they mandate that
> you MUST have your headlights on anytime you use your wipers.

That's for dummies who don't know you must turn on your lights on in bad
weather, which in pa both rules apply. I still see people driving with no
lights, bad weather, windshield wipers on. The problem, I sometimes forget
myself, because I have Chevys. But, I need to also turn on marker lights.
Trouble is, sometimes I clean my windshield going down the road, but the
weather is fine.

Greg
Old July 14th 12, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

jim beam > wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 08:18 AM, richard wrote:

>>> 1. Driving more than 75 or 80 mph on most interstates is considered
>>> reckless driving
>>>
>>> 2. Radar Detectors are illegal (it's the only state in the country where
>>> this is the case ...)

>> Virginia has banned radar detectors for years.

> radar detectors are not illegal in ca any more.
>
> the story goes that the former sf mayor and california legislator, willie
> brown, got a ticket driving his acura nsx to the state capital late one
> night. his radar detector helped him avoid the speeding trap, but they
> stopped him anyway and gave him a ticket for having a detector. willie
> saw red at this and petitioned to legalize them, successfully apparently.

Chp never used radar when I was there. They were out looking for trouble on
the highways, what their supposed to be doing, not setting on the side of
the road.

Greg
Old July 14th 12, 03:40 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Orval Fairbairn

In article >,
Ashton Crusher > wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 06:22:35 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
> > wrote:
>
> >In another thread, we were discussing crazy California laws and I got to
> >wondering what crazy laws are in your state or country.

> In NY and at least one or two other eastern states, they mandate that
> you MUST have your headlights on anytime you use your wipers.

Actually, this is not a bad idea, since headlights greatly improve your
visibility in reduced-visibility conditions (rain, snow, etc.)

It is just as important to be seen as it is to see other traffic.
Old July 14th 12, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/13/2012 07:32 PM, gregz wrote:
> jim > wrote:

>>> Virginia has banned radar detectors for years.

>> radar detectors are not illegal in ca any more.
>>
>> the story goes that the former sf mayor and california legislator, willie
>> brown, got a ticket driving his acura nsx to the state capital late one
>> night. his radar detector helped him avoid the speeding trap, but they
>> stopped him anyway and gave him a ticket for having a detector. willie
>> saw red at this and petitioned to legalize them, successfully apparently.
>>

> Chp never used radar when I was there. They were out looking for trouble on
> the highways, what their supposed to be doing, not setting on the side of
> the road.
>
> Greg

wow, that must have been the golden age. not so now. here in the bay
area, they openly sit about at the side of the road with shiny new laser
detectors merrily "raising revenue"* for cash-strapped cities and
counties as hard as they can go. they even fly about in choppers
lasering you too.

it's much easier than doing the dirty dangerous stuff like policing the
streets of oaktown where the murder rate is currently averaging two per
week.

* i really have a problem with this revenue generation policy. apart
from the illegality, if you do the math, it's bull**** financially too.
let's say a ticket is $250. it takes 20 minutes for the officer to
stop you, give you the mandatory slow time "cool off", write the ticket,
and give you the lecture before you're on your way. then he needs to
get back into his hidey hole before he can go do it again. so let's say
he writes two tickets per hour for $500 per hour.

each vehicular officer costs say $150k per year. that's roughly $78 per
hour. their overhead in terms of hardware and admin is roughly 3x that
for $234 per hour. now add the court costs, and ticket processing. at
least $50 per hour for the no contests. multiply that to at least 10x
for the contested ones which must be at least 5% of the overhead. now,
add in the costs of the chopper guys, the freeway cameras, the on-road
speed detector loops, etc. pretty soon, your $500 per hour is costing
quite a bit more to collect than they're actually writing.

the whole thing is bull**** and completely misguided.

--
fact check required
Old July 14th 12, 04:24 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 7/13/2012 7:44 AM, Arif Khokar wrote:
> On 7/13/2012 2:22 AM, Arklin K. wrote:
>> In another thread, we were discussing crazy California laws and I got to
>> wondering what crazy laws are in your state or country.

> 1. Driving more than 75 or 80 mph on most interstates is considered
> reckless driving
>[...]

75 mph is only 5-mph over the legal limit on rural freeways here in Iowa.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!

Old July 14th 12, 04:26 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 7/13/2012 9:40 PM, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
> In article >,
> Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 06:22:35 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> In another thread, we were discussing crazy California laws and I got to
>>> wondering what crazy laws are in your state or country.

>> In NY and at least one or two other eastern states, they mandate that
>> you MUST have your headlights on anytime you use your wipers.

> Actually, this is not a bad idea, since headlights greatly improve your
> visibility in reduced-visibility conditions (rain, snow, etc.)
>
> It is just as important to be seen as it is to see other traffic.

Unless you are using the wipers to clean off a squished bug before it
dries on the windshield - turning on the headlights just for that makes
no sense.

Old July 14th 12, 04:27 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 7/13/2012 1:22 AM, Arklin K. wrote:
> In another thread, we were discussing crazy California laws and I got to
> wondering what crazy laws are in your state or country.

On the other hand, California is the only state in the US sensible
enough to allow filtering on a scooter/motorcycle.

Old July 14th 12, 05:24 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jul 13, 8:24*pm, "Tom $herman (-_-)" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net"> wrote:
> On 7/13/2012 7:44 AM, Arif Khokar wrote:
>
> > On 7/13/2012 2:22 AM, Arklin K. wrote:
> >> In another thread, we were discussing crazy California laws and I got to
> >> wondering what crazy laws are in your state or country.

> > 1. Driving more than 75 or 80 mph on most interstates is considered
> > reckless driving
> >[...]

> 75 mph is only 5-mph over the legal limit on rural freeways here in Iowa.
>
> --
> Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
> Post Free or Die!

And 5 mph over with posted at 70 is well within the usual 'allowance'
before ticketing.

Harry K
Old July 14th 12, 05:27 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jul 13, 6:25*pm, (Brian Gordon) wrote:
> In article >,
> Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 06:22:35 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
> > wrote:

> >>In another thread, we were discussing crazy California laws and I got to
> >>wondering what crazy laws are in your state or country.

> >In NY and at least one or two other eastern states, they mandate that
> >you MUST have your headlights on anytime you use your wipers.

> True in at least NC and SC. *I don't see anything crazy about it, though. *Most cars, except for the cops, seem to comply.
>
> --
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++*++++
> | Brian Gordon * * <-- * * brian dot gordon at cox dot net |
> + * Bass: Lexington "Main Street Harmonizers" chorus +
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----

Sorta OT. Was an article in the auto section of my newspaper
recently. Discussion of about DRLs. Oddly what was never mentioned
as to why people didn't like them:

The stupidity of making them the high beam.

Harry K
Old July 14th 12, 01:10 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 07/14/2012 12:24 AM, Harry K wrote:
> On Jul 13, 8:24 pm, "Tom $herman (-_-)" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
> $southslope.net"> wrote:

>>> 1. Driving more than 75 or 80 mph on most interstates is considered
>>> reckless driving
>>> [...]

>> 75 mph is only 5-mph over the legal limit on rural freeways here in Iowa.
>>
>> --
>> Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
>> Post Free or Die!

> And 5 mph over with posted at 70 is well within the usual 'allowance'
> before ticketing.
>
> Harry K

Virginia is dumb like that. Speed limit on I-81 (and now other
highways?) is 70, but 80 MPH gets you a "reckless driving" ticket.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel