Electric cars head toward another dead end

Old February 14th 13, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,comp.cad.solidworks,rec.autos.tech
jon_banquer[_2_]

Default Electric cars head toward another dead end

On Feb 10, 11:16*am, jon_banquer > wrote:
> [...]

> > energy would help restore the power lost overnight as a result of the
> > cold weather, and after an hour they cleared me to resume the trip to
> > Milford.

> > Looking back, I should have bought a membership to Butch’s and spent a
> > few hours there while the car charged. The displayed range never
> > reached the number of miles remaining to Milford, and as I limped
> > along at about 45 miles per hour I saw increasingly dire dashboard
> > warnings to recharge immediately. Mr. Merendino, the product planner,
> > found an E.V. charging station about five miles away.

> > But the Model S had other ideas. “Car is shutting down,” the computer
> > informed me. I was able to coast down an exit ramp in Branford, Conn.,
> > before the car made good on its threat.

> > Tesla’s New York service manager, Adam Williams, found a towing
> > service in Milford that sent a skilled and very patient driver, Rick
> > Ibsen, to rescue me with a flatbed truck. Not so quick: the car’s
> > electrically actuated parking brake would not release without battery
> > power, and hooking the car’s 12-volt charging post behind the front
> > grille to the tow truck’s portable charger would not release the
> > brake. So he had to drag it onto the flatbed, a painstaking process
> > that took 45 minutes. Fortunately, the cab of the tow truck was
> > toasty.

> > At 2:40 p.m., we pulled into the Milford rest stop, five hours after I
> > had left Groton on a trip that should have taken less than an hour.
> > Mr. Ibsen carefully maneuvered the flatbed close to the charging
> > kiosk, and 25 minutes later, with the battery sufficiently charged to
> > release the parking brake and drive off the truck, the car was back on
> > the ground. A Model S owner who had taken delivery the previous day
> > watched with interest."
> > ================================================== =============

> > My reading comprehension is a little low..... *So what did the Tesla finally
> > wind up with, as a range?

> > I'm gathering about 100 miles?? *Which is about what the Leaf claims. *But
> > indeed, temp. dependent.

> > Tesla was claiming 240, 300 miles. *Downhill with a tailwind?? *lol

> > They have an 85 kW-hr battery. *15 hp (for about 60 mph) is about 10 kW,
> > which should last 8.5 hrs.
> > 8.5 hrs x 60 mph is pert near a 500 mi range.... * ???

> > I also read that Tesla will not let reviewers actually take the car home,
> > they can only test under supervision -- which apparently changed in this
> > NYTimes article -- and if the range is only 100 mi, now we know why.

> > The Tesla makes the Volt look like a bargain. *I wonder what Tesla's
> > batteries cost, and how long they last. *Dat super-fast charging doesn't
> > help batt life, either.
> > --
> > EA

> I'm left with the feeling that Tesla Motors didn't do anywhere near
> enough testing of the Model S in the cold.

Tesla Motors Chairman, Product Architect & CEO Elon Musk says they
have done plenty of testing in the cold for the Model S and that they
got screwed by the New York Times:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most...iar-test-drive
Old February 15th 13, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,comp.cad.solidworks,rec.autos.tech
jon_banquer[_2_]

On Feb 14, 11:20*am, jon_banquer > wrote:
> [...]

> > > which should last 8.5 hrs.
> > > 8.5 hrs x 60 mph is pert near a 500 mi range.... * ???

> > > I also read that Tesla will not let reviewers actually take the car home,
> > > they can only test under supervision -- which apparently changed in this
> > > NYTimes article -- and if the range is only 100 mi, now we know why.

> > > The Tesla makes the Volt look like a bargain. *I wonder what Tesla's
> > > batteries cost, and how long they last. *Dat super-fast charging doesn't
> > > help batt life, either.
> > > --
> > > EA

> > I'm left with the feeling that Tesla Motors didn't do anywhere near
> > enough testing of the Model S in the cold.

> Tesla Motors Chairman, Product Architect & CEO *Elon Musk says they
> have done plenty of testing in the cold for the Model S and that they

Mo

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...155525527.html
Old February 16th 13, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:55:30 PM UTC-6, jon_banquer wrote:
> On Feb 14, 11:20*am, jon_banquer > wrote:

> > > I'm left with the feeling that Tesla Motors didn't do anywhere near

> > > enough testing of the Model S in the cold.

> > Tesla Motors Chairman, Product Architect & CEO *Elon Musk says they

> > have done plenty of testing in the cold for the Model S and that they

> > got screwed by the New York Times:

> > http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most...iar-test-drive

> Mo
>

> http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...155525527.html

Google,,, 1898 Munson Electric Gasoline Hybrid
Old February 18th 13, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,comp.cad.solidworks,rec.autos.tech
jon_banquer[_2_]

On Feb 14, 4:55*pm, jon_banquer > wrote:
> On Feb 14, 11:20*am, jon_banquer > wrote:

> > > I'm left with the feeling that Tesla Motors didn't do anywhere near
> > > enough testing of the Model S in the cold.

> > Tesla Motors Chairman, Product Architect & CEO *Elon Musk says they
> > have done plenty of testing in the cold for the Model S and that they
> > got screwed by the New York Times:

> >http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most...iar-test-drive

> Mo
>
> http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...es-story-secre...

Mo

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6759/t...ency-and-range
Old February 18th 13, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,comp.cad.solidworks,rec.autos.tech
Jim Wilkins[_2_]

"jon_banquer" > wrote in message
>http://www.anandtech.com/show/6759/t...ency-and-range

http://www.hbingham.com/humor/new-england-weather.htm
"40 F: Italian and English cars won't start."

I do drive with the windows open at 40F.