97 voyager - catalytic efficiency failure

Old July 19th 05, 10:42 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Glendon" > wrote in message
news:1_629473_3ffcac4d085bd124711a9b87f8909aed@aut oforumz.com...

> Without finding
> > the reason
> > that this
> > catcon failed, a new one will be destroyed in short order.
> >
> > Ted

> The car has about 200k miles on it.

Have o2 sensors ever been replaced?

> The flashing dash light gives me
> the codes: 12 - 33 - 72 - 55

Don't know that one, but maybe you can find it he

http://www.troublecodes.net/

There is also an article on there titled "Catalyst Efficiency Failures"
might be interesting reading.

Ted

Old July 19th 05, 10:53 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message

> True, but you can't economically produce gasoline that is 100% free of
> contamination. Eve trace levels add up over time. That was my point.
> You seemed to be implying that unless something goes amiss with the
> engine, a catcon will last indefinitely. That simply isn't true.

I was making a statement based on what I assumed the mileage was, and
yes I implied that the OP's catcon shouldn't have failed. But that was
based on an assumed mileage which I felt reasonable. Unfortunately that
is the danger of reasonable assumptions, they are often wrong. Sigh.

In reality the OP's putting 25k miles a year on this van - quite a different
issue.

> > rich

reason

> They fail for other reasons also, that was my point.

Well, I don't really consider an age-triggered failure to be an unexpected
maintainence expense. Anything that doesen't die prematurely due to
defect or other outside influence is going to naturally fail at the end of
it's
service life. You can hardly expect otherwise.

Ted

Old July 19th 05, 09:07 PM
maxpower

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> "Glendon" > wrote in message
> news:1_629473_3ffcac4d085bd124711a9b87f8909aed@aut oforumz.com...
>
> > Without finding
> > > the reason
> > > that this
> > > catcon failed, a new one will be destroyed in short order.
> > >
> > > Ted

> > The car has about 200k miles on it.

> Have o2 sensors ever been replaced?
>
> > The flashing dash light gives me
> > the codes: 12 - 33 - 72 - 55
> >

> Don't know that one, but maybe you can find it he
>
> http://www.troublecodes.net/
>
> There is also an article on there titled "Catalyst Efficiency Failures"
> might be interesting reading.
>
> Ted

There is no 72, try again, I would bet its 52 (02 sensor)

Old July 20th 05, 01:19 AM
Matt Whiting

maxpower wrote:

> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message
>
>>"Glendon" > wrote in message
>>news:1_629473_3ffcac4d085bd124711a9b87f8909aed@a utoforumz.com...
>>

>>>Without finding

>>>The car has about 200k miles on it.

>>Have o2 sensors ever been replaced?
>>

>>>The flashing dash light gives me
>>>the codes: 12 - 33 - 72 - 55
>>>

>>Don't know that one, but maybe you can find it he
>>
>>http://www.troublecodes.net/
>>
>>There is also an article on there titled "Catalyst Efficiency Failures"
>>might be interesting reading.
>>
>>Ted
>>

> There is no 72, try again, I would bet its 52 (02 sensor)

Actually, I'm pretty sure that 72 is the code that my 96 Grand Voyager
flashed when the catcon went bad. The funny thing was, this code isn't
even in the table of the FSM! However, when the dealer read it with the
scan tool, it said the issue was catcon efficiency not being in spec.

Matt
Old July 20th 05, 09:22 PM
maxpower

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
>
> > "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message
> >
> >>"Glendon" > wrote in message
> >>news:1_629473_3ffcac4d085bd124711a9b87f8909aed@a utoforumz.com...

> >>Have o2 sensors ever been replaced?

> >>Don't know that one, but maybe you can find it he
> >>
> >>http://www.troublecodes.net/
> >>
> >>There is also an article on there titled "Catalyst Efficiency Failures"
> >>might be interesting reading.
> >>
> >>Ted
> >>

> > There is no 72, try again, I would bet its 52 (02 sensor)
> >

> Actually, I'm pretty sure that 72 is the code that my 96 Grand Voyager
> flashed when the catcon went bad. The funny thing was, this code isn't
> even in the table of the FSM! However, when the dealer read it with the
> scan tool, it said the issue was catcon efficiency not being in spec.
>
> Matt

Matt you could be right, I was told back in 96 that on the newer
vehicles cycling the key was not an acuate way of retreiving fault codes,
On the older vehicles 1994 earlier there was no such thing as a code 72

Old July 20th 05, 10:44 PM
Matt Whiting

maxpower wrote:
> "Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
>
>>maxpower wrote:

>>>There is no 72, try again, I would bet its 52 (02 sensor)
>>>

>>Actually, I'm pretty sure that 72 is the code that my 96 Grand Voyager
>>flashed when the catcon went bad. The funny thing was, this code isn't
>>even in the table of the FSM! However, when the dealer read it with the
>>scan tool, it said the issue was catcon efficiency not being in spec.
>>
>>Matt

> Matt you could be right, I was told back in 96 that on the newer
> vehicles cycling the key was not an acuate way of retreiving fault codes,
> On the older vehicles 1994 earlier there was no such thing as a code 72

The MIL light did flash out code 72, but my code table in the factory
manual didn't go that high. I found 72 via a Google search and it said
it was catalytic convertor efficiency and this agreed with the scan tool
at the dealer so I figured it was correct. And since replacing the
converter, the MIL hasn't reactivated.

Matt
Old July 23rd 05, 01:47 AM
tim bur

just like i stated hmmmmm

Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
Interesting failure mode. [email protected] Audi 8 April 8th 05 06:55 PM
Replace catalytic converter? Matthew Technology 12 March 4th 05 06:53 PM
Catalytic Failure Glenn Morton VW water cooled 1 November 5th 04 10:30 PM
Catalytic Convertor Lambda Probe Ian Gaskell Audi 0 May 21st 04 05:14 PM