GM's automatic headlights, again...

Old July 22nd 05, 03:29 AM
Chuck Tomlinson

"N8N" > wrote:
>Just got an Impala last night (company car... not actually mine, mine
>is at a dealership somewhere because someone who was supposed to do
>some paperwork was on vacation... but I digress) ANYWAY... any doubt
>in my mind that the automatic headlights are a bad idea has now been
>erased. When you leave the vehicle, the lights stay on for 30 seconds
>or so...

AFAIK, the Impala owner's manual has instructions on how to
disable the headlamp delay (or extend it to 60 seconds...).

Maybe GM enables the "feature" by default so that owners who
are not inclined to read the manual are aware that the
feature exists (as John S mentioned, some people actually
*prefer* the headlamp delay).
--
Chuck Tomlinson

Old July 22nd 05, 11:23 AM
N8N

Chuck Tomlinson wrote:
> "N8N" > wrote:
> >Just got an Impala last night (company car... not actually mine, mine
> >is at a dealership somewhere because someone who was supposed to do
> >some paperwork was on vacation... but I digress) ANYWAY... any doubt
> >in my mind that the automatic headlights are a bad idea has now been
> >erased. When you leave the vehicle, the lights stay on for 30 seconds
> >or so...

> AFAIK, the Impala owner's manual has instructions on how to
> disable the headlamp delay (or extend it to 60 seconds...).
>
> Maybe GM enables the "feature" by default so that owners who
> are not inclined to read the manual are aware that the
> feature exists (as John S mentioned, some people actually
> *prefer* the headlamp delay).
> --
> Chuck Tomlinson

Well, I get "my" car today... hopefully this one comes with the manual
so I can figure out which features I can't defeat and which ones are
just factory set by default!

nate

Old July 23rd 05, 12:34 AM
James C. Reeves

"Chuck Tomlinson" > wrote in message

> AFAIK, the Impala owner's manual has instructions on how to
> disable the headlamp delay (or extend it to 60 seconds...).

When one *has* to read the owner manual in order to know how to work the
lights, perhaps the control system is just a wee-bit "over-engineered".

Old July 23rd 05, 03:16 AM
Arif Khokar

James C. Reeves wrote:

> It is curious why GM engineered the lights to remain on for a period of time
> by default after cutting the engine. The Chrysler products I own now have
> the off delay as a option. IF you turn the lights off before cutting the
> engine, the lights go out immediately. If you turn the lights off *after*
> cutting the engine, they will stay on for a minute or so, then go out. So
> if you need the illumination, you have it. Otherwise cut the lights
> immediately.

I don't know about current model Subarus, but the '92 model I have has
the best solution. The lights would immediatly shut off when the
ignition was switched off if you failed to switch them off beforehand.
The lights were the manual kind as well.

My Audi will shut the low beams off, but leave the sidemarker lights
illuminated if I shut the ignition off without switching the lights off.

I'm now trying to figure out how to disable the DRLs on my dad's Acura
RL. Pulling the fuse has the desired result except for the "Check DRL
system" message that won't go away ...
Old July 23rd 05, 07:25 AM
Chuck Tomlinson

"James C. Reeves" > wrote:
>"Chuck Tomlinson" > wrote in message
>>
>> AFAIK, the Impala owner's manual has instructions on how to
>> disable the headlamp delay (or extend it to 60 seconds...).

>When one *has* to read the owner manual in order to know how to work the
>lights, perhaps the control system is just a wee-bit "over-engineered".

Perhaps. I downloaded a 2005 Impala owner's manual from
the Chevrolet Owner's Center: various customization settings
(including the headlamp delays) are changed via the _radio_.
The procedure is probably impossible to figure out unless
the owner's manual is consulted. But if the owner does
choose to RTFM, the procedure is quite easy to follow.

I can't say whether GM made a reasonable decision when they
decided to "overload" frequently-used buttons for seldom-
(or rarely-)used features.

But FWIW, I don't have a problem with having to read an
owner's manual (whether electronic or paper) for a setup
procedure that I would probably use exactly once.
--
Chuck Tomlinson

Old July 23rd 05, 07:12 PM
Eric Near

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:

> There is a manual override. RTFM.

Notice I said my _wife's_ car.

Old July 24th 05, 02:30 AM
Dave

Chuck Tomlinson wrote:

> Perhaps. I downloaded a 2005 Impala owner's manual from
> the Chevrolet Owner's Center: various customization settings
> (including the headlamp delays) are changed via the _radio_.

Ummmm, what if you want an aftermarket radio?

Dave

Old July 24th 05, 06:40 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 7/23/2005 6:30 PM, Dave wrote:

> Chuck Tomlinson wrote:
>

>>Perhaps. I downloaded a 2005 Impala owner's manual from
>>the Chevrolet Owner's Center: various customization settings
>>(including the headlamp delays) are changed via the _radio_.

> Ummmm, what if you want an aftermarket radio?

I'll bet that's not the only way to do it, just the only way easily
available at home. The dealership could probably be persuaded to
(grudgingly) plug your car into their computer and reprogram it's
"features."

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old July 24th 05, 10:43 PM
Dave

Garth Almgren wrote:
> Around 7/23/2005 6:30 PM, Dave wrote:
>
> > Chuck Tomlinson wrote:
> >

> >>Perhaps. I downloaded a 2005 Impala owner's manual from
> >>the Chevrolet Owner's Center: various customization settings
> >>(including the headlamp delays) are changed via the _radio_.

> > Ummmm, what if you want an aftermarket radio?

> I'll bet that's not the only way to do it, just the only way easily
> available at home. The dealership could probably be persuaded to
> (grudgingly) plug your car into their computer and reprogram it's
> "features."

Too much hassle, I'll stick with Honda/Toyota.

Dave

Old July 25th 05, 12:08 AM
James C. Reeves

"Dave" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Chuck Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> Perhaps. I downloaded a 2005 Impala owner's manual from
>> the Chevrolet Owner's Center: various customization settings
>> (including the headlamp delays) are changed via the _radio_.

> Ummmm, what if you want an aftermarket radio?
>
> Dave

You'll loose the "chimes" too....those also are generated by the radio.