Just got an insurance quote for a 75 V6 for a giggle.

Old May 27th 04, 08:36 AM
MeatballTurbo

Default Just got an insurance quote for a 75 V6 for a giggle.

Used confused.com and got a quote for my Saab T16S and for a 75 V6.

I had the Value of the 75 set higher than the value of the Saab.

Got a few quotes back for a change, better still, the 75 V6 was =A310 a=20
year cheaper than the Saab T16S. So a 2 litre should be relative=20
pennies.

Now, could I resist the need to floor it.

Thing is, the Saab is supposed to be a respectable professionals car,=20
and the Alfa a hooligan sporting rocket, so how come the alfa is cheaper=20
to insure.
--=20
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Old May 27th 04, 08:50 AM
SteveH

MeatballTurbo > wrote:

> Used confused.com and got a quote for my Saab T16S and for a 75 V6.
>
> I had the Value of the 75 set higher than the value of the Saab.
>
> Got a few quotes back for a change, better still, the 75 V6 was £10 a
> year cheaper than the Saab T16S. So a 2 litre should be relative
> pennies.
>
> Now, could I resist the need to floor it.
>
> Thing is, the Saab is supposed to be a respectable professionals car,
> and the Alfa a hooligan sporting rocket, so how come the alfa is cheaper
> to insure.

Alfas of that sort of age are rarely stolen (a joyrider would stand out
far too much in a 75), and tend to be driven by the mature enthusiast
rather than a boy-racer.

It helps that there's no 'turbo' in the model name.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old May 27th 04, 09:47 AM
Ian Riches

MeatballTurbo ) wrote...
> Used confused.com and got a quote for my Saab T16S and for a 75 V6.
>=20
> I had the Value of the 75 set higher than the value of the Saab.
>=20
> Got a few quotes back for a change, better still, the 75 V6 was =A310 a=

=20
> year cheaper than the Saab T16S. So a 2 litre should be relative=20
> pennies.

I've just done a quick run through Tesco Insurance, and a V6 works=20
out at only about UKP 30 more than a twinspark for me. About UKP 420=20
vs UKP 450 a year (33 years, full no claims, no points)

> Now, could I resist the need to floor it.

I'm sure I couldn't. My "null points" current licence status is most=20
definitely helped by driving a 68bhp Skoda! I can (have to?) thrash=20
the thing to bits on the open road and still keep to legal speeds.
=20
> Thing is, the Saab is supposed to be a respectable professionals car,=20
> and the Alfa a hooligan sporting rocket, so how come the alfa is cheaper=

=20
> to insure.

Insurance companies are some of the odder entities in the universe.

Ian
--=20
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK
Old May 27th 04, 09:53 AM
SteveH

MeatballTurbo > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>

> > It helps that there's no 'turbo' in the model name.
> >

> yeah, there is that
>
> But surely the nice burly 2.5 V6 can't be that far down on performance
> (not actual power) compared to 2 litre turbo Saab that doesn't rev past
> 6k by design?

Ahhh, 2.5V6 - I wouldn't bother with that one, if I were you.

OK, you get the lovely V6 sound, but the performance isn't any better
than a 2lt TSpark, due to the extra weight of the V6 engine. [1]

This might also explain the insurance quote - I find quotes for the 3lt
V6 are a tad on the high side.

> BTW, found this site
http://phantom.urbis.net.il/alfa75/technical2.html

Not loading for me :-(

[1] The 75 TSpark has the same power/weight ratio as a 156 V6 24v, ffs!

Old May 27th 04, 10:07 AM
MeatballTurbo

In article > ,
says...

> > BTW, found this site
http://phantom.urbis.net.il/alfa75/technical2.html

> Not loading for me :-(

Ah right, they have Zips of a load of the 75/milano manuals as Zips of
JPegs.

Just PDFing the owners manual now.
Old May 27th 04, 10:17 AM
MeatballTurbo

In article > ,
says...

> > BTW, found this site
http://phantom.urbis.net.il/alfa75/technical2.html

> Not loading for me :-(

Just checked it and still working.

And I've just about PDF'd the owners manual.
Old May 27th 04, 08:14 PM
Tony Rickard

"SteveH" wrote:

> OK, you get the lovely V6 sound, but the performance isn't any better
> than a 2lt TSpark, due to the extra weight of the V6 engine. [1]

> [1] The 75 TSpark has the same power/weight ratio as a 156 V6 24v, ffs!

Not sure on your source. UKCar.com lists the 75 2.0TS as 133 bhp/tonne and
the 156 V6 2.5 as 146. 7.3 vs 8.8s to 60.

The 2.5 V6 is significantly quicker than the 2.0TS IMHO though a lot
thirstier!

Cheers
Tony

Old May 27th 04, 08:18 PM
SteveH

Tony Rickard > wrote:

> "SteveH" wrote:
>
> > OK, you get the lovely V6 sound, but the performance isn't any better
> > than a 2lt TSpark, due to the extra weight of the V6 engine. [1]

> > [1] The 75 TSpark has the same power/weight ratio as a 156 V6 24v, ffs!

> Not sure on your source. UKCar.com lists the 75 2.0TS as 133 bhp/tonne and
> the 156 V6 2.5 as 146. 7.3 vs 8.8s to 60.
>
> The 2.5 V6 is significantly quicker than the 2.0TS IMHO though a lot
> thirstier!

I got my info from Carfolio - but obviously there's some inaccuracies
somewhere.

However, cars have got fat these days (even Alfas), so the 75 'feels'
more sprightly than newer cars (my 155 is positively sluggish compared
to the 75 with the same engine)
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL