VW Electric Window Switch Funny Behaviour

Old June 1st 04, 10:25 PM
Chris

Default VW Electric Window Switch Funny Behaviour

Hi Group,

I just bought a Passat, and found the driver's window switch behave
strangely, the soft down press is now behaving exactly the same as soft up,
i.e.window wind up until switch release.

So, the only way to close the window is to hard pull the switch.

A friend of mine got a MkIV Golf, it's soft down switch feature is working
fine but intermittently.

Please let me know if you come across the same problem, or have a fix for
it.

Many thanks,
~ Chris

Old June 1st 04, 11:37 PM
Chris

More to that, it was started this morning, last night has a heavy rain fall,
but I've checked the foot wells for both sides, can't spot any dampness.

~ Chris

Old June 2nd 04, 03:34 AM
DubDriver

"Chris" > wrote in message
> Hi Group,
>
> I just bought a Passat, and found the driver's window switch behave
> strangely, the soft down press is now behaving exactly the same as soft

up,
> i.e.window wind up until switch release.
>
> So, the only way to close the window is to hard pull the switch.
>
> A friend of mine got a MkIV Golf, it's soft down switch feature is working
> fine but intermittently.
>
> Please let me know if you come across the same problem, or have a fix for
> it.

Hold the switch up untill the window is closed - once closed keep on holding
the switch up for say a further 10 seconds. This should reset it.

Old June 2nd 04, 09:36 AM
Christoph Bollig

> I just bought a Passat, and found the driver's window switch behave
> strangely, the soft down press is now behaving exactly the same as soft up,
> i.e.window wind up until switch release.
>
> So, the only way to close the window is to hard pull the switch.
>
> A friend of mine got a MkIV Golf, it's soft down switch feature is working
> fine but intermittently.
>
> Please let me know if you come across the same problem, or have a fix for
> it.

I don't know about your Passat (which year?), but in my old Audi
(1988), I had a problem with the control unit, which is in charge of
these things. It also disables the windows 30s after the key was
pulled and the drivers door opened and closed.

I just took the unit out and put a strong wire across one or two
cables on the connector. Now the windows work all the time, but
without any fancy features. The drivers window just winds up or down
as long as I hold the switch, which is fine for me.

One side-effect: Since the system is on all the time now, the little
LEDs in the switches started to drain the battery. I opened all
switches and cut the LEDs, so that's not a problem any more either.

That was all done before I read about bad solder joints. Resoldering
the boards on the control unit might have done the job as well. Maybe
I will try one day, more out of couriosity.

Christoph

--
Important: Emails sent to me which contain my full name
in the "to:" or "cc:" field will bypass my spam filter.
Old June 2nd 04, 07:26 PM
Chris

Sorry, I've tried a few times, still doing it.

~ Chris