PT Cruiser diagnostic question?

Old March 23rd 12, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default PT Cruiser diagnostic question?

WHile driving my 2001 PT Ltd 5 Spd home tonight all of a sudden the
warning chime went off and my engine shut down.

I had to leave the car and get a ride home so I don't have any OBD
code(s) yet.

Prior to this its been running great. It has 95K on it, I had the
plugs changed about 4 months ago and the oil level is good. The
coolant temp was also normal.

I let it sit for a couple of hours assuming it would reset itself but
even though it cranked over fine it would not start. My guess is that
there is either no ignition, no fuel or both. I read that there is an
auto shutdown relay that cuts off both these things.

I know this is a low activity site but I thought I would post just in
case someone had any ideas as to what the cause might be and other
than having to have it towed, what I might be able to do to get it
restarted.

Thanks
Old March 25th 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
CopperTop[_19_]

wrote in newsqlnm7hq0patm308s7992kvh8p9m28pc5t@
4ax.com:

> WHile driving my 2001 PT Ltd 5 Spd home tonight all of a sudden the
> warning chime went off and my engine shut down.
>
> I had to leave the car and get a ride home so I don't have any OBD
> code(s) yet.
>
> Prior to this its been running great. It has 95K on it, I had the
> plugs changed about 4 months ago and the oil level is good. The
> coolant temp was also normal.
>
> I let it sit for a couple of hours assuming it would reset itself but
> even though it cranked over fine it would not start. My guess is that
> there is either no ignition, no fuel or both. I read that there is an
> auto shutdown relay that cuts off both these things.
>
> I know this is a low activity site but I thought I would post just in
> case someone had any ideas as to what the cause might be and other
> than having to have it towed, what I might be able to do to get it
> restarted.
>
> Thanks

Possible problem is the timing belt, symptoms are the same.. Chrysler
suggests having it replaced by 90k miles. I've seen some fail earlier
and some drive well into the 100k range. I replaced mine at 104k. It's
not a cheap fix. I've seen prices from USD750 to USD1400. If this is,
definitely replace your water pump while in there, very common practice.
If this is the problem and the garage you get quotes from doesn't
suggest the water pump as well, go someplace else.