Do they still offer Ford Cougar in North America

Old March 28th 04, 04:02 AM
aniram

Default Do they still offer Ford Cougar in North America

I found Ford Cougar (2 door coupe, late 1990s to early 2000s) is one
of the most beautiful cars. I know that beauty is in the eye of the
beholder. So, some people may not like it at all. I seem also to
notice that they do not sell very well in north america.
Do they still offer the new model in 2003 or 2004 in north american
market? I never heard about it. But again, Ford Cougar and their close
sibling - Ford Thunderbird are always on and off the market.
Do they sell similar style in Europe?
What I also found interesting when it came out for the first time was
the back lights, which have those sphere shape bumps. I thought at
that time it was quite unique.
This Ford cougar style was more compact and completely has different
styling than the old monster that they used to make. Did they change
the group of people who designed it? Where was this particular style
designed ?? In North America, Europe or anywhere else ?
Thanks for info
Old March 28th 04, 05:02 AM
nospam

The Cougar was discontinued after the 2002 model year. That was the 35th
anniversary.

nospam

om...

Old March 28th 04, 05:13 AM
C. Vaughan

It's a Mercury. And it was the sister to the Thunderbird for many years.

om...

Old March 28th 04, 07:12 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
aniram > wrote:
>I found Ford Cougar (2 door coupe, late 1990s to early 2000s) is one
>of the most beautiful cars. I know that beauty is in the eye of the
>beholder. So, some people may not like it at all. I seem also to
>notice that they do not sell very well in north america.
>Do they still offer the new model in 2003 or 2004 in north american
>market? I never heard about it. But again, Ford Cougar and their close
>sibling - Ford Thunderbird are always on and off the market.
>Do they sell similar style in Europe?

The late 1990s Ford / Mercury Cougar was a 2-door hatchback version
of the first generation Ford Mondeo (Europe) / Ford Contour / Mercury
Mystique. The second generation Mondeo is now being sold in Europe,
but the entire line has been discontinued in North America, except for
a Jaguar that shares the platform with the second generation Mondeo.

Timothy J. Lee
Old April 17th 04, 02:41 AM
EMTurbo

The Mondeo is a seperate car. More like the American Escort than Cougar. In
fact when I was Germany we rented a Mondeo station wagon. Fast as hell
little 4 cylinder turbo deisel. I had it up to 160 MPH on Autobahn. What a
rush. Didn't have any take off but top end was all good!!

Old April 17th 04, 09:58 PM
Tom

there was never a car called a ford cougar offered in north america
newsX%fc.155527$K91.408524@attbi_s02...

Old April 19th 04, 02:24 PM
Stephen H. Westin

"EMTurbo" > writes:

> The Mondeo is a seperate car. More like the American Escort than Cougar.

Sigh. The original Mondeo was program CDW27, common with the North
American Contour/Mystique. They were identical under the skin, and
only some late-hours waffling gave the Contour different exterior
sheetmetal than the Mondeo. All of these were updated as CDW162, as I
recall, and the Mondeo has been updated as CDW126, I think.

SW164, the last car to bear the name Mercury Cougar, was program
SW164, which was based directly off the CDW27. If you look closely,
you will see that the wheelbases are identical, rather long for a 2+2
of that class. This car replaced the ST44 Ford Probe at the
AutoAlliance assembly plant in Flat Rock, Michigan, and as the Ford
Cougar, replaced the Probe as an export model to Europe.

Anyway, neither Mondeo nor Cougar is based on any Escort. The Escort
ZX2 was available with a version of the 16-valve Zetec 2.0 engie that
was the base for Contour/Mystique and optional in Mondeo. I believe
that Zetec's were also offered in later-year European Escorts, which
are totally unrelated to the North American Escorts.

> In
> fact when I was Germany we rented a Mondeo station wagon. Fast as hell
> little 4 cylinder turbo deisel. I had it up to 160 MPH on Autobahn. What a
> rush. Didn't have any take off but top end was all good!!

Mondeos have always been offered with a wider range of engines than
the Contour/Mystique. While the North Americans got a choice of
2-liter Zetec or 2.5-liter Duratec V6, there are 1.6 and 1.8 Zetec's in
Europe. I suspect you got a 1.6 in your rental car.

--
-Stephen H. Westin