1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

Old January 14th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

Default 1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

hange the oil every
> 3-4,000 miles. Enjoy it. Then kiss it goodbye when it throws a rod...

If I get this project finished, I intend to keep it running for as long as
I'm around - if I have to rebuild the engine, it's not such a big deal
considering how much work I've already put into the car.
I hate the look of modern vehicles and would never want to drive one, with
the possible exception of the Jeep Cherokee. I like these old cars,
particularly Japanese ones, and I believe it is my mission in life to
preserve as many of them as possible.

Old January 14th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:12:03 -0800, Chris F. wrote:

> hange the oil every
>> 3-4,000 miles. Enjoy it. Then kiss it goodbye when it throws a rod...
>>

> If I get this project finished, I intend to keep it running for as long
> as
> I'm around - if I have to rebuild the engine, it's not such a big deal
> considering how much work I've already put into the car.
> I hate the look of modern vehicles and would never want to drive one,
> with
> the possible exception of the Jeep Cherokee. I like these old cars,
> particularly Japanese ones, and I believe it is my mission in life to
> preserve as many of them as possible.

I hear ya!

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/5319...ta-Corolla.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....tch_subaru.jpg
http://jeff.supramania.com/exterior_.../exterior3.jpg
http://images02.olx.com/ui/1/89/39/2638039_1.jpg
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0001_large.jpg

Old January 14th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
> wrote in news >
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:12:36 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>>

>>> Why don't you drain the old oil out and see what it looks like?

>> And if it's attracted to magnets...

> Or if it doesn't come out at all...

This reminds me of a story a friend told me - he is not prone to
exaggerate, so I assume it is true.

A girl drives her Mazda into the shop to have them diagnose a ticking
noise. The mechanics assume the valves need adjustemnt. When they pull
the valve cover, it is like they didn't pull it at all. There is a
black mass molded to the inside of the valve cover. The worst sludge
they had ever seen. They asked the girl when she last had the oil
changed She told them she didn't know she needed to have it changed
it, she just made sure it always had plenty.....

Ed

Old January 14th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Chris F. wrote:
> hange the oil every
>> 3-4,000 miles. Enjoy it. Then kiss it goodbye when it throws a rod...
>>

> If I get this project finished, I intend to keep it running for as long as
> I'm around - if I have to rebuild the engine, it's not such a big deal
> considering how much work I've already put into the car.
> I hate the look of modern vehicles and would never want to drive one, with
> the possible exception of the Jeep Cherokee. I like these old cars,
> particularly Japanese ones, and I believe it is my mission in life to
> preserve as many of them as possible.

Just dang. When did a 1980 Civic become an "old" car??

Answer: when I got old :-(

For me the 80s were a dark pit of automotive crappiness that I'd never
even think about preserving (with the possible exception of a Buick
GNX). But I still can't bring myself to think of 80s cars as
particularly "old."
Old January 14th 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> A girl drives her Mazda into the shop to have them diagnose a ticking
> noise. The mechanics assume the valves need adjustemnt. When they pull
> the valve cover, it is like they didn't pull it at all. There is a
> black mass molded to the inside of the valve cover. The worst sludge
> they had ever seen. They asked the girl when she last had the oil
> changed She told them she didn't know she needed to have it changed
> it, she just made sure it always had plenty.....
>
> Ed

So he met my daughter.....
Old January 14th 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 02:32:26 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> Steve > wrote in
> :
>
>> Chris F. wrote:
>>> hange the oil every
>>>>
>>> If I get this project finished, I intend to keep it running for as
>>> long as
>>> I'm around - if I have to rebuild the engine, it's not such a big deal
>>> considering how much work I've already put into the car.
>>> I hate the look of modern vehicles and would never want to drive one,
>>> with
>>> the possible exception of the Jeep Cherokee. I like these old cars,
>>> particularly Japanese ones, and I believe it is my mission in life to
>>> preserve as many of them as possible.
>>>

>> Just dang. When did a 1980 Civic become an "old" car??
>>
>> Answer: when I got old :-(

> It'll never be valuable like a '57 Bel Air is. But it will definitely be
> cool in a quirky sort of way, like a Crosley. I'd say it's worth
> restoring. When was the last time you saw one on the road?
>
> There were a couple of late-'70s Civics at Hershey when I was there in
> 2008. I was the only one studying them. Nobody else cared, it seemed.
>

>> For me the 80s were a dark pit of automotive crappiness that I'd never
>> even think about preserving (with the possible exception of a Buick
>> GNX). But I still can't bring myself to think of 80s cars as
>> particularly "old."

> Hemmings is regularly covering '70s cars as future collectibles. It's only
> a matter of time before they get around to '80s cars.
>
> Remember, '57 Chevs weren't very valuable once either. They were rusty,
> smoky crap-boxes when I was a kid.

For yuou Jap car fans...

http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/

Old January 15th 10, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

Steve > wrote in
:

--
Tegger

Old January 15th 10, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"C. E. White" > wrote in news:hinilj$69h$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
>> wrote in news >>

>>> And if it's attracted to magnets...

>> Or if it doesn't come out at all...

> This reminds me of a story a friend told me - he is not prone to
> exaggerate, so I assume it is true.
>
> A girl drives her Mazda into the shop to have them diagnose a ticking
> noise. The mechanics assume the valves need adjustemnt. When they pull
> the valve cover, it is like they didn't pull it at all. There is a
> black mass molded to the inside of the valve cover. The worst sludge
> they had ever seen.

I've got a few photographs of exactly that. Pretty yucky.

> They asked the girl when she last had the oil
> changed She told them she didn't know she needed to have it changed
> it, she just made sure it always had plenty.....

My wife had no idea she was supposed to change her oil until we met. The
stupid thing is, her father is a mechanical engineer, a P. Eng., in fact.

--
Tegger

Old January 15th 10, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
wrote in news

> For yuou Jap car fans...
>
> http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/

Inneresting. But too many of the pictures look like wide-angle magazine-
cover art with the owners as models, instead of just being depictions of
the cars themselves. And too many modified cars. I prefer the history
that's embodied in bone-stock.

--
Tegger

Old January 15th 10, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "C. E. White" > wrote in news:hinilj$69h$1
> @news.eternal-september.org:
>

>> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>>> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?=
>>> >
>>> wrote in news >>>

>>> Or if it doesn't come out at all...

>> This reminds me of a story a friend told me - he is not prone to
>> exaggerate, so I assume it is true.
>>
>> A girl drives her Mazda into the shop to have them diagnose a
>> ticking
>> noise. The mechanics assume the valves need adjustemnt. When they
>> pull
>> the valve cover, it is like they didn't pull it at all. There is a
>> black mass molded to the inside of the valve cover. The worst
>> sludge
>> they had ever seen.

> I've got a few photographs of exactly that. Pretty yucky.
>

>> They asked the girl when she last had the oil
>> changed She told them she didn't know she needed to have it changed
>> it, she just made sure it always had plenty.....
>>

> My wife had no idea she was supposed to change her oil until we met.
> The
> stupid thing is, her father is a mechanical engineer, a P. Eng., in
> fact.

Being a Professional Engineer doesn't make you immune from
stupidity....and engineering knowledge is not passed through the
genes. I hear about as many silly theories out of the mouths of PEs as
from any other group. I'd estimate that most "professional engineers"
outside of the automotive industry know no more about cars than your
average tax accountant. I suppose they had the sort of training that
would allow them to understand cars better than most, but once you
start working in a particular field you tend to narrow your focus and
lose sight of other diciplines. And these days, I am not even sure
which area of engineering would be the most suitable for understanding
modern cars - maybe computer engineering.

Ed

Honda 1980 Civic Fuel Tank Connections Tegger[_2_] Technology 8 November 19th 09 12:00 AM
Triumphs - File 18 of 20 - 1980 VW Rabbit cabriolet (1980-93) 1024x.jpg (1/1) guest Auto Photos 0 March 9th 07 10:26 PM
What burns cleaner? DB General 0 December 24th 06 03:59 AM
Adding XM to 05 Civic [email protected] Honda 5 November 16th 05 01:58 AM
Wiper fluid ... it burns it burns!! Caden Mazda 5 September 14th 04 08:16 PM