1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

Old January 15th 10, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

Default 1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Chris F. wrote:
>> hange the oil every
>>> 3-4,000 miles. Enjoy it. Then kiss it goodbye when it throws a
>>> rod...
>>>

>> If I get this project finished, I intend to keep it running for
>> as long as I'm around - if I have to rebuild the engine, it's not
>> such a big deal considering how much work I've already put into the
>> car.
>> I hate the look of modern vehicles and would never want to drive
>> one, with the possible exception of the Jeep Cherokee. I like these
>> old cars, particularly Japanese ones, and I believe it is my
>> mission in life to preserve as many of them as possible.
>>

> Just dang. When did a 1980 Civic become an "old" car??
>
> Answer: when I got old :-(
>
> For me the 80s were a dark pit of automotive crappiness that I'd
> never even think about preserving (with the possible exception of a
> Buick GNX). But I still can't bring myself to think of 80s cars as
> particularly "old."

Shows that you are getting old! When I was 16 (1969) I thought a 1961
Ford Starliner was an ancient piece of junk (a freind had one). I
can't even imagine what I would ahve though of a 1939 Ford back then.

Ed

Old January 15th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:44:27 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> On 1/14/2010 1:04 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
>
>> For yuou Jap car fans...
>>
>> http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/
>>

> I'll bet you'd dig a RX-2 coupe like the one I used to have. It was a 2400
> lb car with a smooth engine that had the power of a 6. Pretty good
> handling too and I thought it had a beautiful body - especially the rear
> end.
>
> It had two vents that blew air through the steering wheel into your face
> and a vent directly below that to cool or heat up your genitals. Those
> Mazda engineers thought of everything!
>
> When we left CA, I sold it to our friend's son for $500. What a deal for
> him. I think he probably blew it up or trashed it. That's the way it goes
> when you're leaving a state. I used to have a nice VW Rabbit that I sold
> to my in-law's son. I think he trashed it and then blew it up and I'm
> still waiting for my token price of $200 after 20 years. :-)

I have always liked Japanese cars. I remember those, and it's predecessor
as well.

Even when I was a kid I liked Japanese cars, even though you didn't see
too many around here. But I remember one old guy's Mazda "Rotary Power"
Pickup (the tailgate said "Rotary Power" instead of Mazda!)

Old January 15th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 06:31:22 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= > wrote
> in news >
>

>> For yuou Jap car fans...
>>
>> http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/
>>

> Inneresting. But too many of the pictures look like wide-angle magazine-
> cover art with the owners as models, instead of just being depictions of
> the cars themselves. And too many modified cars. I prefer the history
> that's embodied in bone-stock.

Same here, especially the TE72 Corolla that's WAY overdone.
But there are people who say, "There's no such thing as a Japanese Classic.
To them I say...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...OTA_2000GT.jpg

Old January 15th 10, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

Old January 15th 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:25:28 -0800, Chris F. wrote:

> The first-gen Toyota Tercel (1980-83), for example, is
> probably one of the hardest to find

Should have told me you were interested; I sent an '83 AWD Tercel wagon to
scrap a couple years ago.

It still ran quite well, with 210,000 on the clock, but I had already
repaired the rust once, and wasn't into it a second time...

Thing was like a TANK, though!

Old January 15th 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 02:15:21 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> And last week I saw a Hyundai Pony.

Now I know you're pulling our leg!

These were actually pretty cool little cars. The Stellar wasn't quite so
cool. It was basically the same car with a slightly larger body that
wallowed in the corners.

Old January 15th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:59:47 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> On 1/15/2010 8:14 AM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
>> Even when I was a kid I liked Japanese cars, even though you didn't see
>> too many around here. But I remember one old guy's Mazda "Rotary Power"
>> Pickup (the tailgate said "Rotary Power" instead of Mazda!)
>>

> I'd like to have one of those, it was a ballsy move for Mazda to emblazon
> the tailgate with that proclamation. They also had neat trick-looking
> round taillights. Ford put out their version of this truck with a plain
> old piston engine. That was just another forgettable small pickup with
> "Ford" on the gate. The rotary however, must have been a real bomb - I
> mean that in a good way. :-) As far as I know, nothing else like that was
> sold in N. America.
>
> In addition to the RX-2, I had a RX-3 station wagon which was somewhat
> embarrassing for me as far as the way it looked. The styling was cluttered
> with some space age cliches thrown-on but the effect was not sleek - just
> ill-proportioned. As an added incentive to keep buyers away, it was
> painted a horrible florescent lime green. No matter, the appeal of the
> rotary engine even with the automatic was undeniable. :-)

There is some really cool (if you're into Jap cars) stuff on this page,
with an RX-3 wagon and...and...a Rotary Power truck! Same color as the one
in town. Also a bunch of 510's Corollas, etc.

Old January 15th 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:30:32 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= > wrote
> in news >
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 06:31:22 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>>
>>> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
>>> wrote in news >>>

>>> Inneresting. But too many of the pictures look like wide-angle
>>> magazine- cover art with the owners as models, instead of just being
>>> depictions of the cars themselves. And too many modified cars. I prefer
>>> the history that's embodied in bone-stock.

>> Same here, especially the TE72 Corolla that's WAY overdone.

> I had two of those, an '81 and an '82. Both were Liftbacks, just one of a
> staggering SIX body-styles for that generation.

I was going to get a Liftback (1980) but went with the Coupe, which in
Japan was the Treuno (and the same model as my 1985 "Hachiroku" Corolla
GTS) and was the first Toyota I took over 200,000 miles...WELL over. In
Japan it got an earlier version of the DOHC engine asan option.

Old January 16th 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

> For me the 80s were a dark pit of automotive crappiness that I'd never
> even think about preserving (with the possible exception of a Buick GNX).
> But I still can't bring myself to think of 80s cars as particularly "old."

They might not be "old" compared to most classic cars, but it's the
scarcity of some of these cars, particularly imports, that makes them worth
preserving. The first-gen Toyota Tercel (1980-83), for example, is probably
one of the hardest to find (it's very similar to the Civics of the same era,
which is why I have any interest in it)
Sentiment is largely what fuels my interest in these old Hondas. My
parents and grandmother each drove second-gen Civics when I was a kid, and
those two cars helped make a lot of happy memories. Had it not been for
that, I'd probably be resting comfortably rather than trying to save
something that otherwise would have been turned into beer cans or something
by now.

Old January 16th 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

> It'll never be valuable like a '57 Bel Air is. But it will definitely be
> cool in a quirky sort of way, like a Crosley. I'd say it's worth
> restoring.
> When was the last time you saw one on the road?

In 1991, the day my parents traded in our 1982 4-speed 1300FE. Come to
think of it, I don't remember seeing many of them around in the 80's either.
If one of these were to be prominently featured in a movie, they'd
probably become a hot collectible. I mean, look what Back to the Future did
for the Delorean.....

Honda 1980 Civic Fuel Tank Connections Tegger[_2_] Technology 8 November 19th 09 12:00 AM
Triumphs - File 18 of 20 - 1980 VW Rabbit cabriolet (1980-93) 1024x.jpg (1/1) guest Auto Photos 0 March 9th 07 10:26 PM
What burns cleaner? DB General 0 December 24th 06 03:59 AM
Adding XM to 05 Civic [email protected] Honda 5 November 16th 05 01:58 AM
Wiper fluid ... it burns it burns!! Caden Mazda 5 September 14th 04 08:16 PM