honda hoses replacement

Old January 16th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Jones

Default honda hoses replacement

> It's normally the rad hoses that fail early and catastrophically, so you
> should change those. But the other hoses are a lot smaller and don't
> suffer
> nearly the same stresses. You can leave them alone for a few years yet.
>
> However, this issue partly hinges on how diligent you've been with your
> coolant changes. All the hoses just /might/ be damaged if you're still
> running nine-year-old coolant, or are using aftermarket coolant that is
> incompatible with your Honda.

On newer models, the first coolant change is not needed until 120,000 miles
or 10 years. I suppose the hoses will last at least that long.

Old January 16th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Some hose clamps have hex head screws on them.With a socket on a socket
wrench, you can cramp them down really tight.No screwdriver needed.
cuhulin

Old January 16th 10, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:08:54 -0800, lora wrote:

> location is metro atlanta. How are the Goodyear shops?

They'll install the hoses no problem.

Then tell you your tires are getting bare.

Then tell you your brakes are shot.

They'll do the hoses for about $45, the tires for $300, and the brakes for
$550...

Old January 17th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:47:15 -0800, lora wrote:

> Ok, I went in to the Goodyear that is AAA certified for a 2nd opinion.
> They said the hoses were getting dry, but does NOT need to be done right
> away. Also, he showed me the oil pan gasket and found that it was indeed a
> bit wet, but not leaking just yet. Again, he said the gasket didn't need
> to be changed, just yet, not until it starts dripping. But it was WET.
>
> BTW, I have changed the coolant back in March 2005. the car is only at 65K
> now. I don't think it needs to be changed again.
>
> About the hoses, for peace of mind, I'm thinking about just geting the
> radiator hoses like yall recommend. How about the other hoses? If any
> other ones have problems, the car would still be driveable, right?
>
> btw, I was quoted $200 for the radiator hoses job and almost $200 for the
> oil pan gasket. They give 10% discount for aaa members. do you think this
> price is reasonable? Still seems high to me, but they do match
> competitor's written estimates.
>
> they only use GOODYEAR PARTS. how do the goodyear hoses fare? anyone used
> them?
>
> again, I welcome all your valuable comments. we only have 1 car for 4
> people so I need the job done properly and also none of us are
> particularly handy.
>
> many thanks.

LOL! I was being facetious about Goodyear.

But they do manufacture their own hoses and they are good.

Try to find a good garage that charges an honest $45 an hour, and it will
run you about $100 or so. And have him check the bolts on the oil pan.
They may be a bit loose and causing the seeping.

Also, removing the bottom hose from the radiator is going to cause a LOT
of coolant to be lost, so that pretty much takes care of the coolant
replacement for this time.

Too bad no one is handy, these are all easy jobs. I'd do something like
this in my back yard for parts and a carton of ciggies. (Butts are REAL
expensive in Mass...probably cheaper to pay a mechanic $45 an hour!!!)

Old January 18th 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
lora

Old January 18th 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

lora wrote:

> About the hoses, for peace of mind, I'm thinking about just geting the
> radiator hoses like yall recommend. How about the other hoses? If any
> other ones have problems, the car would still be driveable, right?

yes and no. If a heater hose or other hose went you could bypass the
heater at the side of the road and keep driving, but any hose failure
means you have to stop and address it right away.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 18th 10, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_39_]

lora wrote:
> Ok, I went in to the Goodyear that is AAA certified for a 2nd opinion.
> They said the hoses were getting dry, but does NOT need to be done
> right away. Also, he showed me the oil pan gasket and found that it
> was indeed a bit wet, but not leaking just yet. Again, he said the
> gasket didn't need to be changed, just yet, not until it starts
> dripping. But it was WET.
>
> BTW, I have changed the coolant back in March 2005. the car is only at
> 65K now. I don't think it needs to be changed again.
>
> About the hoses, for peace of mind, I'm thinking about just geting the
> radiator hoses like yall recommend. How about the other hoses? If any
> other ones have problems, the car would still be driveable, right?
>
> btw, I was quoted $200 for the radiator hoses job and almost $200 for
> the oil pan gasket. They give 10% discount for aaa members. do you
> think this price is reasonable? Still seems high to me, but they do
> match competitor's written estimates.
>
> they only use GOODYEAR PARTS. how do the goodyear hoses fare? anyone
> used them?
>
> again, I welcome all your valuable comments. we only have 1 car for 4
> people so I need the job done properly and also none of us are
> particularly handy.
>
> many thanks.

This is a 2001 car. If those hoses are original, get them all replaced
asap. All of them. If ANY of them blow out then you are stranded and
maybe with a blown engine as well. Me personally... I carry tools and
can temp repair a hose long enough to get some where safe... or home.
Forget the oil pan gasket. They all seep. If your state requires
no leaks for its yearly inspection, like Texas, then use some
surfactant and a water hose a day before the inspection.

And get the coolant replaced. 5 years is a too long unless you have
been adding additional anti-corrosion agents every year.

I don't know Goodyear hoses. Goodyear either makes them or renames
a oem version. I would imagine they are good.
Old January 18th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Check around your neighborhood, see if there is somebody who does his or
her own auto maintnance/repair work.If so, ask him or her how much money
to replace the hoses on your car.I think Goodyear hoses are just as good
as any, you can buy hoses at your local area auto parts stores.
cuhulin