honda hoses replacement

Old January 18th 10, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
E. Meyer[_3_]

Default honda hoses replacement

On 1/17/10 7:50 PM, in article ,
"Paul" > wrote:

> lora wrote:
>> Ok, I went in to the Goodyear that is AAA certified for a 2nd opinion.
>> They said the hoses were getting dry, but does NOT need to be done
>> right away. Also, he showed me the oil pan gasket and found that it
>> was indeed a bit wet, but not leaking just yet. Again, he said the
>> gasket didn't need to be changed, just yet, not until it starts
>> dripping. But it was WET.
>>
>> BTW, I have changed the coolant back in March 2005. the car is only at
>> 65K now. I don't think it needs to be changed again.
>>
>> About the hoses, for peace of mind, I'm thinking about just geting the
>> radiator hoses like yall recommend. How about the other hoses? If any
>> other ones have problems, the car would still be driveable, right?
>>
>> btw, I was quoted $200 for the radiator hoses job and almost $200 for
>> the oil pan gasket. They give 10% discount for aaa members. do you
>> think this price is reasonable? Still seems high to me, but they do
>> match competitor's written estimates.
>>
>> they only use GOODYEAR PARTS. how do the goodyear hoses fare? anyone
>> used them?
>>
>> again, I welcome all your valuable comments. we only have 1 car for 4
>> people so I need the job done properly and also none of us are
>> particularly handy.
>>
>> many thanks.
>>

> This is a 2001 car. If those hoses are original, get them all replaced
> asap. All of them. If ANY of them blow out then you are stranded and
> maybe with a blown engine as well. Me personally... I carry tools and
> can temp repair a hose long enough to get some where safe... or home.
> Forget the oil pan gasket. They all seep. If your state requires
> no leaks for its yearly inspection, like Texas, then use some
> surfactant and a water hose a day before the inspection.

Like Texas????? I've never heard that one before & I've been having cars
inspected in Texas for more than 30 years, El Paso, Houston & Dallas. I
have yet to see an inspector even look under a car much less mention
anything about leaks. I think you need to find a different place to get
your inspections.

Old January 18th 10, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_39_]

E. Meyer wrote:
> On 1/17/10 7:50 PM, in article ,
> "Paul" > wrote:

>> This is a 2001 car. If those hoses are original, get them all replaced
>> asap. All of them. If ANY of them blow out then you are stranded and
>> maybe with a blown engine as well. Me personally... I carry tools and
>> can temp repair a hose long enough to get some where safe... or home.
>> Forget the oil pan gasket. They all seep. If your state requires
>> no leaks for its yearly inspection, like Texas, then use some
>> surfactant and a water hose a day before the inspection.

> Like Texas????? I've never heard that one before & I've been having cars
> inspected in Texas for more than 30 years, El Paso, Houston & Dallas. I
> have yet to see an inspector even look under a car much less mention
> anything about leaks. I think you need to find a different place to get
> your inspections.

They seem to be pretty thorough out in West Houston / Katy.
Perhaps they just wanted to sell me a $600 oil pan gasket
replacement job.
Old January 18th 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
E. Meyer[_3_]

On 1/18/10 2:22 PM, in article ,
"Paul" > wrote:

> E. Meyer wrote:
>> On 1/17/10 7:50 PM, in article ,
>> "Paul" > wrote:

>>> This is a 2001 car. If those hoses are original, get them all replaced
>>> asap. All of them. If ANY of them blow out then you are stranded and
>>> maybe with a blown engine as well. Me personally... I carry tools and
>>> can temp repair a hose long enough to get some where safe... or home.
>>> Forget the oil pan gasket. They all seep. If your state requires
>>> no leaks for its yearly inspection, like Texas, then use some
>>> surfactant and a water hose a day before the inspection.

>> Like Texas????? I've never heard that one before & I've been having cars
>> inspected in Texas for more than 30 years, El Paso, Houston & Dallas. I
>> have yet to see an inspector even look under a car much less mention
>> anything about leaks. I think you need to find a different place to get
>> your inspections.

> They seem to be pretty thorough out in West Houston / Katy.
> Perhaps they just wanted to sell me a $600 oil pan gasket
> replacement job.

That'd be my guess.

Old January 23rd 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"E. Meyer" > wrote in message news:C7793B4E.1627C%

> Like Texas????? I've never heard that one before & I've been having cars
> inspected in Texas for more than 30 years, El Paso, Houston & Dallas. I
> have yet to see an inspector even look under a car much less mention
> anything about leaks. I think you need to find a different place to get
> your inspections.

********
Depends on exactly where you are in Texas...
Some areas under EPA watch require more stringent maintenance than
other areas, I am told. Even so, "Goober" might well just slap a
sticker on your car.

I live in Dogpatch, and you could get an elephant safety stickered here.

I have a friend who owns a shop in Houston (West side, near Tomball)
and he tells me that the actual regulations are a bit more stiff than are
normally applied in practice.