New Battery and Tire Recommendations

Old January 16th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve L[_1_]

Default New Battery and Tire Recommendations

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy with 55K miles. It is a 2nd vehicle and doesn't see
a lot of miles lately. I think this hasn't helped the battery too much, as
it has been so cold here in New England. I've had to jump it twice lately.

So anyway, time for a new battery I think. I can have an Interstate
installed for $100 or a Sears Diehard for ~$85.

Any suggestions. Could be other brands too.

I also need new tires on the vehicle. They are 245/65-17 The vehicle is used
for road use so I'm looking for mileage, quiet, traction and long life.
Since it's northern Mass and southern NH they need to have decent all
weather traction. It's a 2W/4W GMC Envoy.

peace out! and thanks for any suggestions and/or experience

Steve

Old January 16th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

About a year and three months ago, I bought a new battery at the
Autozone store.The battery was manufactured by Johnson Controls.
http://www.johnsoncontrols.com
Johnson Controls also manufactures batteries for U.S.Submarines.
That is Good enough for me.

Tires? I reccomend Cooper Tires.
cuhulin

Old January 16th 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Steve L" > wrote in message
>I have a 2005 GMC Envoy with 55K miles. It is a 2nd vehicle and doesn't see
>a lot of miles lately. I think this hasn't helped the battery too much, as
>it has been so cold here in New England. I've had to jump it twice lately.
>
> So anyway, time for a new battery I think. I can have an Interstate
> installed for $100 or a Sears Diehard for ~$85.
>
> Any suggestions. Could be other brands too.
>
> I also need new tires on the vehicle. They are 245/65-17 The vehicle is
> used for road use so I'm looking for mileage, quiet, traction and long
> life. Since it's northern Mass and southern NH they need to have decent
> all weather traction. It's a 2W/4W GMC Envoy.
>
> peace out! and thanks for any suggestions and/or experience
>
> Steve

I have no recommendations on the battery. I have had Diehards, and others,
and none are great, most are adequate. Sears used to have a good warranty,
and
are just about everywhere, so that is a good point IMO. WalMart is also
everywhere,
and their batteries are not any worse than most others.

As far as the tires, go to www.tirerack.com
and research the tires. You may be surprised with some of the reviews.
Some
well known names get crap reviews, and some lesser known ones get great
reviews. Just because you buy a Michelin, for example, doesnt mean you are
getting a great tire (although they certainly make GREAT tires)..

Old January 16th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> About a year and three months ago, I bought a new battery at the
> Autozone store.The battery was manufactured by Johnson Controls.
> http://www.johnsoncontrols.com
> Johnson Controls also manufactures batteries for U.S.Submarines.
> That is Good enough for me.
>
> Tires? I reccomend Cooper Tires.
> cuhulin

I have bought Cooper tires in the last few years and, IMO, they are good
enough
but not great. May depend on the series.

Old January 16th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I remember reading an article by Tom McCahill from back in the 1950s, in
Mechanix Illustrated magazine.He was road testing a Lincoln car, or
maybe it was an Imperial car.The car was equiped with General Twin Tread
tires.Tom McCahill sure was bragging about those General twin tread
tires.It was like he couldn't tear those tires up.

http://www.devilfinder.com
General Twin Tread Tires Tom McCahill

Hairier than a Borneo gorilla in a racoon suit ~ Tom ''Chrome Dome''
McCahill.
cuhulin

Old January 16th 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
WW[_2_]

"Steve L" > wrote in message
>I have a 2005 GMC Envoy with 55K miles. It is a 2nd vehicle and doesn't see
>a lot of miles lately. I think this hasn't helped the battery too much, as
>it has been so cold here in New England. I've had to jump it twice lately.
>
> So anyway, time for a new battery I think. I can have an Interstate
> installed for $100 or a Sears Diehard for ~$85.
>
> Any suggestions. Could be other brands too.
>
> I also need new tires on the vehicle. They are 245/65-17 The vehicle is
> used for road use so I'm looking for mileage, quiet, traction and long
> life. Since it's northern Mass and southern NH they need to have decent
> all weather traction. It's a 2W/4W GMC Envoy.
>
> peace out! and thanks for any suggestions and/or experience
>
> Steve
>

>WalMart best Everlast $75 with 3 year NO PRORATE exchange. I only buy
>Michelin tires but you must read reviews first, they all are not the same.
>I purchased a set for my SUV that reviews showed many people got 90 K miles
>on them. Reviews on TireRack WW

2002 a6 4.2 Tire Recommendations ddayaudi via CarKB.com Audi 1 December 8th 07 04:37 PM
tire recommendations Milleron Honda 30 November 1st 06 06:05 PM
tire recommendations? frank Mazda 8 April 13th 06 05:40 AM
A4 Tire recommendations Haywood Audi 26 October 9th 05 07:17 PM
65 tire recommendations bad65 Corvette 6 November 29th 04 10:53 PM