cap and rotor replacement

Old September 8th 11, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael[_19_]

Default cap and rotor replacement

2000 Accord, 68K. Dealer recommends a cap and rotor replacement.
Necessary or wait til I need to. $152.
Thanks
Old September 8th 11, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

Do it yourself for around $20. Not hard at all.

dan

Old September 8th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/07/2011 06:55 PM, Michael wrote:
> 2000 Accord, 68K. Dealer recommends a cap and rotor replacement.
> Necessary or wait til I need to. $152.
> Thanks

i'd wait. they're usually good for 100k. but i'd also recommend
inspecting for yourself. check inside the cap, and wipe the interior
with some of that blue synthetic cloth you get on a roll. avoid avoid
avoid getting sweaty fingers in there - the moisture/salt track can
cause spark tracking and loss of ignition power. particularly check the
center contact - if it's obviously worn or too wobbly, replace the cap
[and center contact] and arm together.

if you replace, make sure it's a good quality, preferably honda,
replacement. do NOT use aftermarket with copper or brass terminals -
copper oxide, the spark erosion product, is a conductor, and just like
sweaty fingers, you don't want that providing any stray conduction
paths. [aluminum oxide from aluminum terminal posts does not have this
problem.]

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

rotor and cap have short life... Mel P.[_2_] Jeep 4 December 9th 07 01:02 AM
Quality of distributor cap and rotor gearshift Honda 1 August 5th 05 02:55 AM
Dist Cap, rotor and Wires Steve Foley Jeep 6 July 17th 05 03:17 AM
help distributor cap and rotor || BMW 4 December 8th 04 05:52 PM
change my distributor cap and rotor Burt Squareman Technology 1 December 8th 04 04:37 PM