1986 Ford F-150 Help

Old October 1st 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hilltop Cycle ATV

Default 1986 Ford F-150 Help

I need to change the passenger's side valve cover gasket on this pickup . It
is fuel injected . I was wondering if anyone has ever done this ? I really
don't want to pull off the fuel injection airhorn if I really don't have to
.. Can it be done without removing this ? I know it will be a tight squeeze
to remove the top row of nuts on the valve cover but I was wondering if
anyone has done it successfully ?
Thanks,
Raz

Old October 1st 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
" Hilltop Cycle ATV" > wrote:

> I need to change the passenger's side valve cover gasket on this pickup . It
> is fuel injected . I was wondering if anyone has ever done this ? I really
> don't want to pull off the fuel injection airhorn if I really don't have to
> . Can it be done without removing this ? I know it will be a tight squeeze
> to remove the top row of nuts on the valve cover but I was wondering if
> anyone has done it successfully ?
> Thanks,
> Raz

It can't be done without removing the upper plenum.

Upper plenum isn't much more than 6 bolts, the EGR pipe, some
electrical connections and a brace. Given the failure prone
nature of the upper plenum gasket, you may be killing two birds
with one stone.
Old October 1st 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hilltop Cycle ATV

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> " Hilltop Cycle ATV" > wrote:
>
>> I need to change the passenger's side valve cover gasket on this pickup .
>> It
>> is fuel injected . I was wondering if anyone has ever done this ? I
>> really
>> don't want to pull off the fuel injection airhorn if I really don't have
>> . Can it be done without removing this ? I know it will be a tight
>> squeeze
>> to remove the top row of nuts on the valve cover but I was wondering if
>> anyone has done it successfully ?
>> Thanks,
>> Raz

> It can't be done without removing the upper plenum.
>
> Upper plenum isn't much more than 6 bolts, the EGR pipe, some
> electrical connections and a brace. Given the failure prone
> nature of the upper plenum gasket, you may be killing two birds
> with one stone.

So, it looks more complicated than it is ? Have you had them apart before ?
If so, do you happen to remember how much the gaskets cost ?

I got this pickup for $300 but it has a knocking sound in the top end , on
the same side as it needs a new gasket .
I had an experienced mechanic tell me that it doesn't sound like a
connecting rod but it could possibly be a pushrod has worn a hole though a
rocker arm. Which has has seen before.
The truck runs o.k. but sounds awful with the knocking. If I can get this on
the road for around $500, I will be happy . The other thing I like about
this, is that it is an extended cab . So, the whole family can go along.

Thanks,
Raz

Old October 1st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
" Hilltop Cycle ATV" > wrote:

> So, it looks more complicated than it is ? Have you had them apart before ?

Numerous times.

> If so, do you happen to remember how much the gaskets cost ?

The upper plenum gasket is $8.00
The valve cover gasket -may- be a reusable steel core silicone
gasket.

> I got this pickup for $300 but it has a knocking sound in the top end , on
> the same side as it needs a new gasket .
> I had an experienced mechanic tell me that it doesn't sound like a
> connecting rod but it could possibly be a pushrod has worn a hole though a
> rocker arm. Which has has seen before.

Very possible.

Old October 2nd 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hilltop Cycle ATV

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> " Hilltop Cycle ATV" > wrote:
>
>> So, it looks more complicated than it is ? Have you had them apart before
>> ?

> Numerous times.
>
>> If so, do you happen to remember how much the gaskets cost ?

> The upper plenum gasket is $8.00
> The valve cover gasket -may- be a reusable steel core silicone
> gasket.
>
>> I got this pickup for $300 but it has a knocking sound in the top end ,
>> on
>> the same side as it needs a new gasket .
>> I had an experienced mechanic tell me that it doesn't sound like a
>> connecting rod but it could possibly be a pushrod has worn a hole though
>> rocker arm. Which has has seen before.

> Very possible.
>
>> The truck runs o.k. but sounds awful with the knocking. If I can get this
>> on
>> the road for around $500, I will be happy . The other thing I like about
>> this, is that it is an extended cab . So, the whole family can go along.

Got the passenger side valve cover off, the hardest part was getting a torx
socket on ithe center bolt that is hidden .
Found out it is not the passenger side , I will pull the driver's side off ,
which looks alot easier . Then if I still don't see anything. I am probably
"in trouble" , do you have to pull the engine to get the oil pan off on
these pickups ?

Thanks for all your time,
Raz

Old October 2nd 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tiger Pilot

" . Then if I still don't see anything. I am probably
> "in trouble" , do you have to pull the engine to get the oil pan off on
> these pickups ?
>
> Thanks for all your time,
> Raz

I had an 84 with a 460. To remove the pan you had to unbolt the motor
mounts, jack the engine up
and place a 2x4 between the motor and motor mount. That gave enough
clearance to drop the pan, which gave
enough room to reach in and unbolt the oil pump pickup. Once that drops into
the pan there is enough rooom to
get the pan all the way out. If the engine still uses a two piece rear main
seal, replace that while you are in there.

Old October 3rd 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sonofadocker

I have a 1986 ford f150 4x4 with the 302.
mine also makes some terrible noises but for several years now.
the trucks runs great and always has. i was told by a ford mechanic
that this engine has an adjustable rocker assembly. the passenger side
is noisey.
i have not tried to quiet the motor down. the truck came from PA and
has alot of rust on bolts etc.
everything i try to fix breaks. so i have left it alone.
i paid 300.00 for the truck and get a macco paint job every two years.
still rust free body.

let me know if you try the repair. i might try it also.

Old October 3rd 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Slick

Hi I'm new here I work only on ford trucks NO! you don't have to pull
any centre doom at ALL.
There is an ekg flex hose don't bend it . you undo the i pan nuts. lift
very little and row the pan.
Yon may have to play with it and curse a bit yet lol they will come
off. Should take about 20 min to1/2hr.Just don't break the flex hose
that goes to the motor, for it's brittle and could leak after.

Old October 4th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hilltop Cycle ATV

Already ended up removing the center already . Didn't find my problem . So,
now, I need to remove the driver's side valve cover . Then if I can't find
my knock, then I will have to dig deeper .
Do you know if you can remove the oilpan without removing the engine or
lossening the motor mounts ?
I might have to see if I have a broken piston or worn rod .
Thanks,
Raz

oups.com...