Question on protocol

Old November 26th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

Default Inevitable computer arguments (was: Question on protocol) NMC

In article >,
barry > wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:29:33 -0600, pws >
> wrote:
>
> >Lanny Chambers wrote:
> >
> >> We also don't have to put it on our computers. I believe Leon uses some
> >> type of Unix, as do I. OpenOffice is great--I use a Mac-specific variant
> >> called NeoOffice. (There's even a version for Windows, so you too can
> >> read/write Office documents without the malware exposure.)

> >Of course not. I have used Macs before, and have dabbled with Linux.
> >
> >When I started to see that almost every single job I considered required
> >Windows experience but almost none of them cared if I knew any other
> >operating system, including Mac, I got the hint.
> >
> >Now Windows 95/98/SE/2000/XP & Vista are very familiar to me. Windows 98
> >or up is what almost everyone I know who owns a computer is using.
> >Since I get paid to help set up and maintain a lot of these systems, I
> >am very glad to be familiar with Windows rather than a less popular
> >operating system.
> >
> >I know someone who is about as anti-Microsoft as possible and uses Linux
> >on one machine, but interestingly enough, she has Windows XP loaded on
> >another computer and has used Windows since the early days....
> >
> >Pat

> i would dump microsoft in a second but some of the software i need to
> do what i do only runs on microsoft platforms.

What software is that?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old November 26th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

Default Question on protocol

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> Hey guys, I've had a great time with the "Where are you and your Miata"
> thread. I'd like to post the results. I've entered them into an excel
> spreadsheet. What's the best way?

The best way really is to put all the data (or rather to have us do it
ourselves, all over again) on a map at Bravenet.com. In fact, I've just set
one up - here we go:

http://pub13.bravenet.com/guestmap/s...num=1078466946

If everyone heads on over there and puts themselves on the map that's
probably the best way to view it for everyone.

Sorry Chris, should have said this much earlier...

Eric

Old November 26th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

pws > wrote in message
> She also has XP for the same reason that I do, to be able to help other
> people running the same software, which, like me, is most of the people
> she knows who are online.

One of my happiest days was when someone who always came to me with PC
questions bought a Mac and so had to go to someone else.

If I wrote software as reliable as Microsofts, I'd be out of a job.

Microsoft (and our government for that matter) is the logical result of a
bunch of people asking "Can I?" while not asking "Should I?"

Always remember - Very Important This!!! We need to segment because it's
important to be compatible with 8080 code, and most likely no one will ever
need more than 640k. Yeah, brilliant they were.

miker

Old November 26th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:21:58 GMT, Alan Baker >
wrote:

>In article >,
> barry > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:29:33 -0600, pws >
>> wrote:

>> >Of course not. I have used Macs before, and have dabbled with Linux.
>> >
>> >When I started to see that almost every single job I considered required
>> >Windows experience but almost none of them cared if I knew any other
>> >operating system, including Mac, I got the hint.
>> >
>> >Now Windows 95/98/SE/2000/XP & Vista are very familiar to me. Windows 98
>> >or up is what almost everyone I know who owns a computer is using.
>> >Since I get paid to help set up and maintain a lot of these systems, I
>> >am very glad to be familiar with Windows rather than a less popular
>> >operating system.
>> >
>> >I know someone who is about as anti-Microsoft as possible and uses Linux
>> >on one machine, but interestingly enough, she has Windows XP loaded on
>> >another computer and has used Windows since the early days....
>> >
>> >Pat

>> i would dump microsoft in a second but some of the software i need to
>> do what i do only runs on microsoft platforms.

>What software is that?
>
>> --------
>> "any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"

i trade foreign currency at home, and certain charting packages are
currently microsoft specific.

--------
"any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"
Old November 26th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:39:12 -0600, "miker"
> wrote:

>If I wrote software as reliable as Microsofts, I'd be out of a job.

perhaps, but if microsoft made miatas, we have to:

1) expect them to stop for no apparent reason and have to reboot them
to get them to run again;
2) have to upgrade them constantly just to get them to continue to
work;
3) have to buy a new miata when they stop servicing/suppporting the
version you own

in other words, we'd all be cursing bill gates.

--------
"any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"
Old November 26th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article >,
barry > wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:21:58 GMT, Alan Baker >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > barry > wrote:

> >> i would dump microsoft in a second but some of the software i need to
> >> do what i do only runs on microsoft platforms.

> >What software is that?
> >
> >> --------
> >> "any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"

> i trade foreign currency at home, and certain charting packages are
> currently microsoft specific.

Fair enough. But you do know that current Macs can run Windows in
Parallels (at full speed), letting you use only the programs that must
run under Windows with that and using everything else in Mac OS X, right?

Old November 26th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article
]>,
Alan Baker > wrote:

> But you do know that current Macs can run Windows in
> Parallels (at full speed), letting you use only the programs that must
> run under Windows with that and using everything else in Mac OS X, right?

Alternatively, many Windows applications will run on Intel Mac and Linux
under Crossover, without needing to install a Windows OS at all.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old November 26th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article >,
Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article
> ]>,
> Alan Baker > wrote:
>
> > But you do know that current Macs can run Windows in
> > Parallels (at full speed), letting you use only the programs that must
> > run under Windows with that and using everything else in Mac OS X, right?

> Alternatively, many Windows applications will run on Intel Mac and Linux
> under Crossover, without needing to install a Windows OS at all.

I'll have to check in to that...

Old November 27th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen[_2_]

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 12:53:58 -0600, pws wrote:

> Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>
>> I do not. Operating systems were an unstable equilibrium, since so
>> many people had only the resources to write for the biggest OS, and
>> others wrote for the biggest OS first. People buy the OS that runs the
>> software that they want to use. This expands the market share of the
>> biggest OS even more, reducing the incentive to write for other OS even
>> more, creating an exponential run-away process until all the people,
>> that are at least willing to consider the OS, run it. You may note
>> that many big software suppliers do not even bother to port their stuff
>> to apple or unix.

> The same with the software on my Tec3 computer in my Miata. The software
> for it is written to use with Windows, because the company knew that it
> would be by far the most likely operating system that the customer would
> have on their computer.
>
> I am not arguing that they created a gigantic monopoly, they clearly
> have.
>
>> The reason that MicroSoftbrain ended up with the chips was not because
>> MS DOS was particularly good, it was poor, but because IBM stupidly
>> gave them the initial advantage through their name and market share.
>> Of course, after MicroSoftbrain had the monopoly on the OS, they used
>> it to muscle in on related areas. But that does not require
>> intelligence, just lack of scruples.
>>
>> Leon

> It actually requires both. Windows did not end up on most of the
> computers in the world by accident.

Like I said, by random chance, not by accident. One operating system
had to end up on everybody's desktop, regardless of the intelligence
or capability of the buyers of the one that did. And MicroSoftbrain
was one of the least intelligent and capable of the contenders.

> Microsoft has some smart and
> unscrupulous people working for them, like any hugely successful company
> does.

No argument. And the money to attract and hold them.

> They won the fight, regardless of tactics.

Yes, but MicroSoftbrain won the *lottery* due to a mistake by IBM.
Not because of clever tactics, as you seem to think. After that, it
requires very little brain to exploit a position of absolute power.
(Though I am sure you can find some people, brain damaged ones, or
with other special circumstances, like scruples, who could not even
take advantage of such a situation.)

> We don't have to like it, but
> it is the truth, the numbers don't lie.

No, but your interpretation is likely to. They won, but the reason
you think why is is just your interpretation. You may want to think
about it again

Leon

--
Leon Bess Bozo .)
Old November 27th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen[_2_]

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:46:24 +0000, Lanny Chambers wrote:

> OpenOffice is great--I use a Mac-specific variant called NeoOffice.

Speak for yourself. If it is not TeX or LaTeX, I would not touch
it with a five-foot pole.

I even wrote a program to bounce all MS-Word documents send to me by
the college back to the sender unread. That is *commercial* software,
not a public language.

--
Leon Bess Bozo .)