1998 Jeep Cherokee power loss, missing, no codes...TPS??

Old August 15th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
katuah

Default 1998 Jeep Cherokee power loss, missing, no codes...TPS??

Hey y'all;

I've got one of those "mystery problems," could use some help. I drive
98 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L inline 6, with manual transmission, around 110K
miles. The problem I have is this: at about 2000 RPM, the engine
loses power and sometimes misses. During the latter incidents, it acts
as though its not getting enough fuel, something like the beginnings of
a fuel pump dying but not as severe. The problem is more pronounced if
under load (AC on, carrying heavy stuff, going uphill..) or in higher
gear ranges, and seems to be worse when the outside air temperature
changes rapidly. Gas mileage has dropped by about 5-6 mpg since the
problem started.

So far, several visits to the dealership have been fruitless. There are
no codes being generated, so there's not much to go on. The oxygen
sensor was replaced a few months before the current issue started due
to a different problem, and the throttle body & connections thoroughly
cleaned then, too. The dealership tried to tell me I had "weak valve
springs" and needed a complete engine overhaul ($800+) to replace them,
which did not sound right to me at all. I've had a lot of trouble
finding a good garage nearby, so I'm ready to start tinkering myself in
what little spare time I have. :-(

I've seen a lot of stuff on here about bad TPS sensors and/or bad
connections, could this be the cause of my problem, too? I don't have
a big toolkit nor am I terribly knowledgeable about fuel systems or
testing voltages and such, so I'm not sure how best for me to start
working with this. I bought a Haynes Manual a long time ago, but it
doesn't have much info in it about sensors & such for the 1998 model (&
newer).

Also, just recently, it has started with a new problem: when I turn on
the left turn signal, both lights blink as though I'd turned on the
hazards. Doesn't happen with the right blinker, doesn't happen if the
ignition is off and the car parked, only when running & in motion.
Almost simultaneously, the rear passenger electric door lock mechanism
began malfunctioning, and refusing to lock or unlock while making a
nasty grinding noise. I have no idea if these problems could be related
in any way (grounds gone bad? shorts? lightning? ) but I just wanted to
mention them in case they are clues.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Old August 15th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

I'm going to believe your Stealership, and confirm weak valve
springs act the way describe. And they have the equipment that tests for
that, and so does your Cherokee's Onboard Diagnostics:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm There are mechanics that will
replace them without pulling the head to cut the labor in half.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 15th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Someone else on this group had one of the engines with the bad valve
springs. Jerry B I think....

There are some engines out there with the bad springs, that's for sure.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 16th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

True.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 16th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

If all you need is new springs you can do that yourself.

They make adapters that thread into the spark plug holes that use air
pressure to hold the valves closed and you can compress and remove the old
ones with the head still on the engine.

If you think you may need or benefit from a valve job you can pull the head
in your driveway and have your corner machine shop work on the head and you
reinstall it.

The labor involved is pretty straightforward and you can save yourself a ton
of labor charges.

Old August 16th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Cal[_1_]

My 97 i6 has acted similarly. I have had others describe my problem as weak
springs also. I have also left mine with the dealership for days, only to
get back the same jeep problem (but $150 poorer..). The last time I tried
that was a couple years ago. They didn't believe in the weak spring thing,
they thought it would act the same way all the time if that were the case,
not just high rpm and under load. I don't believe them. Still seems like
weak springs.
I know the best way to get by this is to replace the spings. What I have
done is to use Seafoam. I pour about half a can slowly in the throttle body
at idle (or a little above idle), add the rest to the gas, and I am 'cured'
for about a year. ( Follow instructions on the can.) I tried the new plugs
and wires suggested by the dealership, and this is the only thing that has
worked for me. Of course, if you have the cash or time, replace the
springs. Especially since with this cheap fix , you're never really sure
about that trip to the mountains......

cal

Old August 16th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Be aware you may have to clean or replace your spark plugs after the SeaFoam
Treatment.

Old August 17th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

I had the same symptoms with my 90 XJ, it was the O2 sensor. I would
double check the connection, all connections for that matter as they
have always been a problem on XJ's.

Old August 17th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

The O2 sensor for the Renix system on the 88-91 XJ is under recall!

If you haven't had the recall done it is a freebie still.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 17th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
katuah

Hey Bill;

I have to ask, what is the defining thing to make you believe it is the
springs? I ask because I had thought that weak springs would cause
"clacking" if they weren't doing their job, sort of like a
redlined/overrotated engine, only starting at lower RPM's, but this
problem appears primarily at only around 2000 RPM (which seems really
low), and actually seems to lessen at higer RPM's (22-2500).

Is there a way to know besides the coded diagnostic, because the
computer tester at the dealership showed nothing of the sort -
actually, showed nothing at all, per the mechanics there.