Best aftermarket theft deterrents?

Old November 24th 04, 11:56 PM
SoCalMike

Terry wrote:
>>>fuel pump circuit kill is a great idea.

>>How would you prevent stalling while cruising?

> By not using radio trash parts!

i like the negative ground to coil idea. is it really just *that* easy?
wire from negative side of coil, to ground, with a switch in there? it
wont set off a MIL if the engine is started mistakenly?
Old November 25th 04, 03:33 AM
Terry

SoCalMike > wrote in message news:<oc9pd.80959$V41.43294@attbi_s52>...

> >>How would you prevent stalling while cruising?

> > By not using radio trash parts!

> i like the negative ground to coil idea. is it really just *that* easy?
> wire from negative side of coil, to ground, with a switch in there? it
> wont set off a MIL if the engine is started mistakenly?

I would never short anything to ground in a car I liked.
I would consider putting a switch in series with either
the ignition coil)or more correctly find the fuse that
supplies power to the ignitor and put switch in series
with that fuse), or in series with the fuel pump, my choice.
Or to be a real hardass, put a 4PST (4PDT but only use the same
side!) with one set in series with the fuel pump, one in series
with the ignition and one in series with the AT/Clutch interlock.

But even with all the defeats you can come up with, they can
still hoist the car onto a flat bed and haul her away. I have seen
several cars on flat beds in Lexington KY with lights flashing,
horns beeping, and in one case a voice system shouting "help I am
being stolen" with no one paying the slightest attention.

If I had a car I really liked I would cob a system with a GPS,
a cellphone (or a ham radio) link so the car could tell me where
she is. But even that would fail if they put the car inside a trailer.

If someone really wants my 1991 Civic hatchback, they can steal her.
I will not be happy and if I catch them it will likely get ugly.
I got rid of the rice boy rims and tires, have nothing that makes
her stand out. She is in good shape, but hardly something for a
thief to get excited over.

I think of cars as "she" because if you ignore them, they will go away.

Terry
Old November 25th 04, 03:33 AM
Terry

Old November 25th 04, 09:27 AM
Ricky Spartacus

"SoCalMike" wrote in message
> Terry wrote:
> I like the negative ground to coil idea. is it really just *that* easy?
> Wire from negative side of coil, to ground, with a switch in there?
> It wont set off a MIL if the engine is started mistakenly?

TYPE 1: Run 4-feet of plug wire from coil (secondary,) to switch
(spst) then ground with normal wire.
TYPE 2: Wire from negative side of coil (primary,) to ground,
with a suitable switch and a *resistor* (2-3-Ohms) in there. YOU
MUST include the resistor or you'll overheat and damage the coil.

Yes, these kill switches are *that* easy with minimal stock
alterations. Removing them simply means ripping the wires out.
There should be no MIL/CEL since ECU doesn't detect
spark. Example: R = V / A. 14.4-Volts divided by 6-Amps
is 2.4-Ohms at 86.4-Watts. Find a suitable resistor. Notice
that modern coils handle up to 8-Amps.

Old November 25th 04, 09:27 AM
Ricky Spartacus

Old November 25th 04, 05:51 PM
KWW

How about a count down timer so that, if the driver has not entered a
specific code into a keypad (turning a light green) then 12 VDC gets sent to
a reproduction Model A coil which is wired to a wide-mesh screen under the
driver's seat pad. This sends a high voltage, very low amp shock. That
way, IF the guy doesn't wreck the car (so you get a replacement), he will at
least get out fast.
I used to have such a setup on a chair for parties. Harmless but fun.
--
KWW

m...

Old November 25th 04, 05:51 PM
KWW

How about a count down timer so that, if the driver has not entered a
specific code into a keypad (turning a light green) then 12 VDC gets sent to
a reproduction Model A coil which is wired to a wide-mesh screen under the
driver's seat pad. This sends a high voltage, very low amp shock. That
way, IF the guy doesn't wreck the car (so you get a replacement), he will at
least get out fast.
I used to have such a setup on a chair for parties. Harmless but fun.
--
KWW

m...

Old November 25th 04, 11:27 PM
Terry

"KWW" > wrote in message news:<iYopd.391250$wV.369341@attbi_s54>...
> How about a count down timer so that, if the driver has not entered a
> specific code into a keypad (turning a light green) then 12 VDC gets sent to
> a reproduction Model A coil which is wired to a wide-mesh screen under the
> driver's seat pad. This sends a high voltage, very low amp shock. That
> way, IF the guy doesn't wreck the car (so you get a replacement), he will at
> least get out fast.
> I used to have such a setup on a chair for parties. Harmless but fun.
> --
> KWW

While I like the sound of it, ZAP-OUCH!,I would be afraid of
either having it false and go off on me, or to work as planned,
but kill the theif in which case you will go to jail for a long
time, and his family will get all of your money.
Terry
Old November 25th 04, 11:27 PM
Terry

Old November 26th 04, 07:39 PM