Brake servicing FAQ page update...

Old May 19th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Nick

Default Brake servicing FAQ page update...

I only apply it to the threaded section of the bolt and even then it
is just a thin layer, besides even if they rot, they cost so little
and are easy to replace. I will keep in in mind.

Thanks,
Nick

Old May 19th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
4p Intl,Chennai, India

On May 18, 9:01 pm, Grumpy AuContraire >
wrote:
> Tegger wrote:
> > =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
> > wrote innews:EMP2i.7464$vu2.228@trndny01:

> >>http://www.usededmonton.com/classifi...=miscellaneous
> >>-for-sale

> > Cool. But that can looks like it's kinda old.

> > Sure it's "new" government surplus, but the government got rid of it for a
> > reason...

> Ha! Here's a life time supply of the stuff...
>
> http://www.ellsworth.com/display/pro...ductid=410&Tab...
>
> JT- Hide quoted text -

Molykote is widely used in India and the results are excellent. For
lubr problems, you can click here.

http://www.4pcorporation.com/Problem_Solutions.asp

Four-P International Pvt Ltd
No.6 Esplanade, Indian Chamber Building 3rd floor,
Chennai 600 108 (India).
Fax:91 44 2533 2176,Ph :91 44 2533 1110/1112.
Email: >
Websites :
http://www.4pCorporation.com
http://www.YourBabysName.com
http://www.TeluguWebsite.com

Old May 19th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Michael Pardee

<Nick> wrote in message ...
>I only apply it to the threaded section of the bolt and even then it
> is just a thin layer, besides even if they rot, they cost so little
> and are easy to replace. I will keep in in mind.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Where do you find replacements?

Old May 21st 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Nick

From your local Honda/Acura dealer.

On Sat, 19 May 2007 05:07:51 -0700, "Michael Pardee"

Old May 23rd 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Yukkel

Tegger wrote:
> I have a (possible) confession to make. It's lengthy, but please read
> it.
>
> I have heretofore been advocating the use of copious quantities of anti-
> seize in certain locations during brake servicing in order to prevent
> corrosion and seizure of various parts.
>
> Since the government banned asbestos as a friction material (~1995), I
> have had, off and on, problems with glaze on my rotors. Glaze is a
> smeary, patchy, durable black substance, which no solvent can dissolve.
> You can't even sand it off. The only way of getting rid of it is to
> machine the rotors.
>
> Why was this happening? And why so intermittently? Over the last few
> years or so (I'm a slow learner...), I've been observing other people's
> brakes through the open-spoke wheels that are common these days, and
> have noticed that just about nobody has glaze, just lonely ol' me.
> Obviously it must be something I'm doing wrong.
>
> Then, this last weekend (Mother's Day weekend), I decided to do my
> annual brake "spring cleaning". While pulling things apart, sanding,
> greasing, chopping, slicing, dicing and julienning, I noticed the rotors
> had glazed up, AGAIN! Something made me study the pads closely. To my
> surprise and alarm, I noticed the pads showed signs of oil seepage and
> absorption. The absorption areas closely coincided with the glaze on
> the rotors. The absorption areas also coincided with where I had been
> most lavish with the anti-seize grease. Worse, the rear disc brakes
> showed the same symptoms.
>
> It appears on deeper investigation that anti-seizes of all kinds contain
> very light oils that creep readily when heated. And boy do they creep.
> This is only a theory right now, but I'm suspecting the oil soaks into
> the friction material, softening it so it smears on the rotors.
>
> I replaced all the pads and rotors this spring with brand-new OEM. ($$$)
> The ONLY grease I put this time was under the pad slide shims, between
> them and the mount bracket, and sparingly, at that. And this time I used
> a high-temp silicone lube, Sil-Glyde.
>
> In the fall of 2007, I'll see what the rotors look like and report back
> here.
>
> If anybody has been following my advice had has also experienced rotor
> glaze, please let me know.
>
> This page has been updated to reflect my new findings.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes2.html

the anti sieze that you were putting on was it High Temperature Nickel
Anti-Seize Lubricant? As a technician i have been servicing rear shoes
and using that for the front pads and have never glazing like that from
using high temperature nickel based lubricant
Old May 23rd 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Yukkel > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:

>> This page has been updated to reflect my new findings.
>> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes2.html
>>

> the anti sieze that you were putting on was it High Temperature Nickel
> Anti-Seize Lubricant? As a technician i have been servicing rear shoes
> and using that for the front pads and have never glazing like that
> from using high temperature nickel based lubricant

It was copper based and aluminum based.

I'm not sure it was the anti-seize that caused my glaze; that's just my
hunch right now.

My container of Permatex 133H says it's good to 1,600F. And it does stay
put very well. Problem is that it's the lighter fractions of the carrier
that migrate over time, not the aluminum itself.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/