94 Toyota Starter Removal

Old December 17th 03, 01:38 PM
BDM

Default 94 Toyota Starter Removal

Greetings,
What is the preferred way to remove a starter from a 94 Toyota 4x4 standard
bed
(4cyl, manual transmission)? I'm having a difficult time figuring out how
I'm supposed get to it with a socket, let alone correctly position it back
when I go to re-install. Is there some secret way to do this, short of
becoming a contortionist?

Any help will be appreciated.

-=Brad=-

Old December 18th 03, 05:56 AM
rnf2

"BDM" > wrote in message
> Greetings,
> What is the preferred way to remove a starter from a 94 Toyota 4x4

standard
> bed
> (4cyl, manual transmission)? I'm having a difficult time figuring out how
> I'm supposed get to it with a socket, let alone correctly position it back
> when I go to re-install. Is there some secret way to do this, short of
> becoming a contortionist?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> -=Brad=-

Two sticks of gelignite. then lift off the radiator cap and drive a new car
under, replace radiator cap.

seriously tho, what type of 94 toyo 4x4, Never had a prob with the Hilux in
NZ, is yours a landcruiser or other model?

rhys

Old December 18th 03, 05:56 AM
rnf2

Old December 18th 03, 02:03 PM
BDM

It's a Hilux standard bed. From what I can tell, the easiest way may be to
remove the passenger side front wheel and that splash plate thingy in the
wheel well. Going in from underneath looks to be more of a challenge.

Old December 18th 03, 02:03 PM
BDM

Old December 19th 03, 12:28 AM

how well can you swear? it will come in handy when doing this job! lol

Old December 19th 03, 12:28 AM

how well can you swear? it will come in handy when doing this job! lol

Old December 25th 03, 04:16 PM
Roger Brown

BDM wrote:

> It's a Hilux standard bed. From what I can tell, the easiest way may be to
> remove the passenger side front wheel and that splash plate thingy in the
> wheel well. Going in from underneath looks to be more of a challenge.
>
> "rnf2" > wrote in message
>
> > seriously tho, what type of 94 toyo 4x4, Never had a prob with the Hilux

> in
> > NZ, is yours a landcruiser or other model?

I have some removal tips on my page:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

--
Roger
Old December 25th 03, 04:16 PM
Roger Brown

Old December 30th 03, 02:24 PM
BDM

Roger, thanks for the site and tips. I did the job yesterday, and it went
off without a hitch. The easiest way for me to access the starter and it's
mounting bolts was via the passenger side wheel well, after removing the
splash plate. The job took less than an hour, and the dealer had the parts
in stock. With the truck now over 100,000 miles, I can only hope any future
repairs are this easy.

-=Brad=-