How to Amend/Fix Incomplete Driving Record Data

Old January 20th 05, 07:06 PM
Mike Brophy

Default How to Amend/Fix Incomplete Driving Record Data

Here's my story in a nutshell:
In Oct 2003 I was rear-ended by a car that was rear-ended by a mini-van
-- the mini-van initiated the accident by failing to stop, so I was the
last car in the line hit.

There was no damage to my vehicle or person -- it was a really slow
collision (5mph or less).

We all pulled to the shoulder, I called the dispatcher, explained the
details of the accident and I told her I had no damage or injury -- she
said it would be 2 hours before a Washington State Trooper could be on
scene. I asked if it was ok for me to leave the scene considering no
damage, etc. as long as I exchange insurance info with the other
parties. She said yes. I exchanged insurance info and went on my way.

Two months ago I moved my auto insurance to AllState. When they pulled
my driving record it showed a motor vehicle accident but there was no
other data -- nothing that said I was at fault or that another was at
fault, etc. It was just coded as an MVA with no other data.

AllState, in their infinite wisdom, rather than checking with my
previous carrier to see if a claim was filed by me or against me in
said accident, ASSUMED I WAS AT FAULT and increased my premium.

My question is, does anyone know the process in general or specifical
for WA state as to how I can at least submit an affidavit which can be
amended to the MVR explaining the details o the accident?

I've learned my lesson -- next time I will wait around no matter what
the dispatcher says. But it's ridiculous that NO DATA can be
interpreted by an insurance company as AT FAULT.

Mike
Seattle

Old January 20th 05, 08:11 PM
gpsman

Mike Brophy wrote: <brevity snip>

> My question is, does anyone know the process in general or specifical
> for WA state as to how I can at least submit an affidavit which can

be
> amended to the MVR explaining the details o the accident?
>
> I've learned my lesson -- next time I will wait around no matter what
> the dispatcher says. But it's ridiculous that NO DATA can be
> interpreted by an insurance company as AT FAULT.

It sounds as if you are screwed, my friend.

Insurance has gone nuts. Surely you have heard that companies are
increasing rates based on inquiries of agents? Call to find out if a
broken water-line is covered... they raise your rate based on...
there's nothing you can do about it except change carriers.

Chances are (I think) amending your MVR will have no effect on your
rates. The criteria of simply being involved in a crash, probably,
statistically, indicates you are likely to be involved in another
whether you are "at-fault" or not. Check w/your agent... if you dare...

My father was an insurance exec supervising the Claims Div. back in the
'60's. He quit and opened a bodyshop when he determined that his job
had varied from providing fair and equitable settlements to screwing as
many people as possible out of as much money as possible.

If you're bound and determined to amend your MVR I would first suggest
you get the Crash Report from WA and evaluate your chances... if you
haven't expired of old age by the time it arrives. Then, I guess you
will probably need the dreaded lawyer to straighten this mess out.

This couldn't possibly have been of asssistance, I know...
-----

- gpsman

Old January 20th 05, 08:14 PM
Brent P

In article .com>, Mike Brophy wrote:
> AllState, in their infinite wisdom, rather than checking with my
> previous carrier to see if a claim was filed by me or against me in
> said accident, ASSUMED I WAS AT FAULT and increased my premium.

Well, that's alstate's doing. time for a different insurance company.

Old January 21st 05, 06:01 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Mike Brophy wrote:
> Here's my story in a nutshell:

> Two months ago I moved my auto insurance to AllState.
>
> AllState, in their infinite wisdom, rather than checking with my
> previous carrier to see if a claim was filed by me or against me in
> said accident, ASSUMED I WAS AT FAULT and increased my premium.

Contact your state insurance commissioner's office. Tell them about it
and ask if they can be of assistance.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Knows Allstate is a bunch of morons)