1997 5.7 will not accelerate

Old June 29th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default 1997 5.7 will not accelerate

when i am stopped at a red light and the light turns green I stomp on
it and I just slowly go across the intersection. also it does not
accelerate very well to pass on the highway. It is better when the
engine is cool and in cool weather. Any ideas???

Old June 29th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jun 28, 8:04 pm, wrote:
> when i am stopped at a red light and the light turns green I stomp on
> it and I just slowly go across the intersection. also it does not
> accelerate very well to pass on the highway. It is better when the
> engine is cool and in cool weather. Any ideas???

Possibilities? Plugged catalytic converter or trans stuck in 4th.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old June 29th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

i just got it back from the mechanic. he says its fixed. he checked
out the transmission, it was good. he scanned and got 3 codes, 1- mass
air flow, 2-oxygen sensor and 3-egr circuit. he serviced all units. he
didn't replace anything just the egr gasket. So I think he pretty well
just cleaned everything. Any way 5 hours labour later its good to go.

Old June 29th 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jun 28, 10:23 pm, wrote:
> i just got it back from the mechanic. he says its fixed. he checked
> out the transmission, it was good. he scanned and got 3 codes, 1- mass
> air flow, 2-oxygen sensor and 3-egr circuit. he serviced all units. he
> didn't replace anything just the egr gasket. So I think he pretty well
> just cleaned everything. Any way 5 hours labour later its good to go.

Hmmm.... no mention of a check engine light in the original post.

The only item of those three that would cause severe power loss even
during full throttle mode would be the MAF, and I doubt a cleaning
would restore a MAF that reported so poorly as to cause your
symptoms. Even if it was unplugged the PCM would go into a backup
strategy that would allow for fair drivability.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old June 29th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

wrote:

OK, now I get it. Found this in another thread...
it seems ok when the engine is cold but when warm it idles ok, if i
am
sitting at a red light then the light turns gren the suburban barely
crawls across the intersection. it will cruise on the highway ok but
when i go to pass another vehicle it lacks acceleration. The fuel
pump
was replaced a year ago. the fuel filter was replaced about 4 weeks
ago. the plugs and distributor cap were replaced a couple weeks ago.
the exhaust system was replaced from front to back yesterday with O2
sensor simulators and no catalytic convertors. the compression on the
number 1 cylinder is 120. i didn't check the rest. fuel injector
cleaner was added to fuel tank in the last month. the last garage
that
looked at it said the distributor was advanced 18 degrees. they set
it
for top dead center by pulling out the distributor and moving it over
one cog. I am starting to think the timing chain jumped a cog. any
ideas?

Interesting shops you go to. One shop takes off the cats on an OBDII
vehicle and then installs rear O2 simulators. Sweet! That's not the
best part. The other shop thinks that your Vortec distributor
position effects final ignition timing, and moves it one tooth to
somehow compensate.

I get the feeling it would take a lot of money and competence to get
this thing back to a legal and properly* running state after all of
this butchery.

*Properly, not "seems OK".

Toyota MDT in MO

Old June 29th 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

I just took it for a drive, the check engine light is on now, but it
runs ok. I guess I will live with the light on if its running ok. The
last guy (in addition to the other things he did) also said something
about the timing was at 22 degrees he said he filed something and
tightened it down. I have no idea what he was talking about. The check
engine light did not come on before or after the trips to the other
mechanics.