1996 Subaru Legacy starting problem

Old July 7th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default 1996 Subaru Legacy starting problem

I have a 96 Subaru Legacy. Occasionally, when starting, I turn the
key, the dash warning lights come on (lamp check function, I guess)
but the starter doesn't turn.

Then, if I press in on the key or push up on it while turning, the
starter cranks just fine and the car starts.

I'm thinking the ignition switch is getting old (the car has 104K
miles and it is 12 years old).

Is that a hard thing to replace?

TIA

Andy
Old July 7th 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MasterBlaster

> wrote:

> I have a 96 Subaru Legacy. Occasionally, when starting, I turn the
> key, the dash warning lights come on (lamp check function, I guess)
> but the starter doesn't turn.
>
> Then, if I press in on the key or push up on it while turning, the
> starter cranks just fine and the car starts.
>
> I'm thinking the ignition switch is getting old (the car has 104K
> miles and it is 12 years old).
>
> Is that a hard thing to replace?

According to Autozone's online repair guide...

Ignition Switch
Subaru Coupes/Sedans/Wagons 1985-1996 Repair Guide

Legacy and Impreza

The ignition switch is mounted in place using special shear bolts.
Removal of the ignition switch requires replacement of these bolts.
When removing the bolts it is easiest if you use a suitable punch and
hammer to tap the bolts around. When installing new bolts tighten the
bolts until the shear heads break off.

1 - Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2 - Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.
3 - Disconnect the ignition switch harness from the body harness.
4 - Using a drift and hammer, hit the heads of the shear bolts to loosen and
remove the ignition switch mounting bolts.

To install:
1 - Install the ignition switch with new mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting
bolts until the bolt heads snap off.
2 - Connect the ignition switch electrical harness.
3 - Install the steering column covers.
4 - Connect the negative battery cable.

Old July 7th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>I have a 96 Subaru Legacy. Occasionally, when starting, I turn the
>key, the dash warning lights come on (lamp check function, I guess)
>but the starter doesn't turn.
>
>Then, if I press in on the key or push up on it while turning, the
>starter cranks just fine and the car starts.
>
>I'm thinking the ignition switch is getting old (the car has 104K
>miles and it is 12 years old).
>
>Is that a hard thing to replace?

It is not hard, but it's a freaking pain in the neck because the whole
steering column has to come apart. Lots of parts come out and they all
need to go back properly, but there's no heavy lifting involved.
--scott
Old July 13th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Thanks to both of you for the input.

I went to a local garage and the guy there verified what you said.
It's about a $300 job to do the column switch.

He also said it might be the contacts on the starter solenoid which I
guess is a pretty common problem. And a bit cheaper.

And, of course, since then, the car has started perfectly.

I have to listen the next time it doesn't start to see if I hear a
"click" which would indicate solenoid problems.

Thanks again.

Andy