1996 volkswagen motor problems

Old September 11th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
motoboi

Default 1996 volkswagen motor problems

hey guys i picked up a 1996 volkswagen jetta 2.0(manual trans)
with180k this summer.I plan to put a 16 valve motor in once i reach
200 k but i dont know if it is just a bolt in swap can i keep the same
harness,transmission and motor mounts .Anyways I just started driving
it. The car runs but with small problems that are driving me crazy
becuase i cant figure them out .The first problem is the car idles but
has a intermittent missat low rpm ,the second is that it lacks power
in the lower rpms its like its hesitating while im giving it throttle
to about 3000 rpm then after that u feel the difference i took it to a
local mechanic and he put the OBD2 scanner on it and got 5 differnt
codes p0501 (vss signal out of range),P0172(system to rich bank
one),p0300(miss fire detected),p0304(missfire cylinder 4)and p440(EVAP
system problem. i was told that the misfres may be due to bad
distributor, spark plugs, spark plug wires and a exhuast leak that i
had from the joint were the cat converter connects to main pipe. I
replaced all of the spark plugs as well as the distributor and spark
plug wire and fixed the exhaust leak (it was just a missing clamp).I
alsoran a whole tank with fuel injection cleaner ,replaced the timing
belt, water pump, fuel filter and cleaned throttle body. Took it for a
drive and same problem , so then i took it back to mechanic to get
scanned and nothing has changed. can any body help me all in put is
welcome i just want my car to run right thanx
Old September 11th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin[_2_]

motoboi wrote:
> hey guys i picked up a 1996 volkswagen jetta 2.0(manual trans)
> with180k this summer.I plan to put a 16 valve motor in once i reach
> 200 k but i dont know if it is just a bolt in swap can i keep the same
> harness,transmission and motor mounts .Anyways I just started driving
> it. The car runs but with small problems that are driving me crazy
> becuase i cant figure them out .The first problem is the car idles but
> has a intermittent missat low rpm ,the second is that it lacks power
> in the lower rpms its like its hesitating while im giving it throttle
> to about 3000 rpm then after that u feel the difference i took it to a
> local mechanic and he put the OBD2 scanner on it and got 5 differnt
> codes p0501 (vss signal out of range),P0172(system to rich bank
> one),p0300(miss fire detected),p0304(missfire cylinder 4)and p440(EVAP
> system problem. i was told that the misfres may be due to bad
> distributor, spark plugs, spark plug wires and a exhuast leak that i
> had from the joint were the cat converter connects to main pipe. I
> replaced all of the spark plugs as well as the distributor and spark
> plug wire and fixed the exhaust leak (it was just a missing clamp).I
> alsoran a whole tank with fuel injection cleaner ,replaced the timing
> belt, water pump, fuel filter and cleaned throttle body. Took it for a
> drive and same problem , so then i took it back to mechanic to get
> scanned and nothing has changed. can any body help me all in put is
> welcome i just want my car to run right thanx

automatic trans? did you fix the vss problem? is it shifting thru all
the gears?
Old September 11th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
motoboi

On Sep 11, 8:25*am, Steve Austin > wrote:
> motoboi wrote:
> > hey guys i picked up a 1996 volkswagen jetta 2.0(manual trans)
> > with180k this summer.I plan to put a 16 valve motor in once i reach
> > 200 k but i dont know if it is just a bolt in swap can i keep the same
> > harness,transmission and motor mounts .Anyways *I just started driving
> > it. The car runs but with small problems that are driving me crazy
> > becuase i cant figure them out .The first problem is the car idles but
> > has a intermittent missat low rpm ,the second is that it lacks power
> > in the lower rpms its like its hesitating while im giving it throttle
> > to about 3000 rpm then after that u feel the difference i took it to a
> > local mechanic and he put the OBD2 scanner on it and got 5 differnt
> > codes p0501 (vss signal out of range),P0172(system to rich bank
> > one),p0300(miss fire detected),p0304(missfire cylinder 4)and p440(EVAP
> > system problem. i was told that the misfres may be due to bad
> > distributor, spark plugs, spark plug wires and a exhuast leak that i
> > had from the joint were the cat converter connects to main pipe. I
> > replaced all of the spark plugs as well as the distributor and spark
> > plug wire and fixed the exhaust leak (it was just a missing clamp).I
> > alsoran a whole tank with fuel injection cleaner ,replaced the timing
> > belt, water pump, fuel filter and cleaned throttle body. Took it for a
> > drive and same problem , so then i took it back to mechanic to get
> > scanned and nothing has changed. can any body help me all in put is
> > welcome i just want my car to run right thanx

> automatic trans? *did you fix the vss problem? *is it shifting thru all
> the gears?- Hide quoted text -

manual trans and it is shifting thru all the gears
Old September 11th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

"motoboi" wrote: (1996 VW Jetta 2.0 180k manual trans)

1.) The car idles with an intermittent miss at low rpm.
2.) It lacks power in the lower rpms as if it's hesitating
until above 3000 rpm where it runs better.

I replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributor, timing belt, water pump,
and fuel filter. I cleaned the throttle body and fixed an exhaust leak
(it was just a missing clamp), and I ran through a whole tank of fuel
with fuel injection cleaner added. There was no improvement.

A local mechanic's OBD2 scan got the following codes:

p0501 (vss signal out of range)
P0172 (system too rich bank one)
p0300 (misfire detected)
p0304 (misfire cylinder 4)
p440 (EVAP system problem)

I just want my car to run right. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Another question: Later, I want to put a 16 valve motor. Is it a
bolt-in swap keeping the harness, transmission and motor mounts?

If it still misfires after a complete renewal of the ignition parts:

1.) Misfires and hesitation at low rpm, stronger running at high
rpm could be symptoms of a vacuum leak - cracked hose, loose
throttle body, bad pcv valve, EVAP system, IAC, or EGR.

2.) It could be a fuel mixture problem - defective injectors
or defective sensors causing the Engine Control Computer to
send the wrong fuel flow to the injectors.

I don't know anything about the engine swap.

Good luck.

Rodan.

BCM problems on a 1996 voyager [email protected] Chrysler 1 September 25th 07 09:31 AM
Flying Down To Rio. And São Paulo. And Brasilia... ::: 1996 Volkswagen Saveiro TSi [BR] right side angled.jpg (1/1) Square Wheels[_2_] Auto Photos 0 August 25th 07 09:35 AM
1996 Neon stalling problems Curt Dodge 4 March 10th 06 01:21 PM
Problems with 1996 A4 John Young Audi 2 June 4th 04 07:44 PM