I Was a Patient JLEDI Yesterday

Old September 9th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Default I Was a Patient JLEDI Yesterday

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> http://i2.tinypic.com/2j2hy1d.jpg
>
> So I was pulling into a strip mall parking lot yesterday evening (I
> was at the position marked in blue in the above picture). As I'm
> preparing to make a left turn along the path indicated by the blue
> arrow, I noticed an SUV stopped in the traffic lane at the location
> marked in red. A pedestrian was standing on the passenger side of the
> SUV attempting to enter the vehicle. In a scene straight out of
> "Saturday Night Fever," the driver of the SUV kept moving forward and
> reverse just as the pedestrian's hand was about to touch the door
> handle, preventing him from gripping the handle and opening the door.
>
> Now, I suppose I could have taken the path marked in yellow. Yes, it
> would have been driving the "wrong" way, but this was, after all, a
> parking lot, and the proper lane was being blocked by a MFFY. Or I
> could have continued straight ahead and taken the long way around.
> Instead, for a (literal) change of pace, I decided to follow the
> teachings of the JLEDI masters in this group, and I sat there and
> waited while these two assclowns ****ed around. Finally the pedestrian
> got in and the SUV pulled forward, clearing the way for me to complete
> my turn.
>
> Net loss: 30 seconds of my valuable time.
> Net gain: NOTHING.
>
> So I gotta ask you JLEDIs: what's in it for you? What do you get in
> exchange for the time that you allow others to steal from you? Do you
> get a warm fuzzy feeling inside? Do you feel better about yourself in
> some way? And what is it that stops you from defending yourself
> against those who would use you as their doormat?
>
> What am I missing?

Mostly, I think, any sense of public decorum while nestled anonymously
in your private vehicle and a distorted sense of time and your time's
value. Any person who measures their life in seconds wastes a great
deal of their life counting seconds. If your time were that valuable
you would operate your life more efficiently and/or run in every
instance where you now walk.

It's all a matter of perspective.

I think you have a persecution complex and feel weak and insignificant
and so feel compelled to "defend" yourself against any and all the
perceived slights inflicted upon you all day, every day... because you
have already allowed yourself to become somebody's doormat, dislike it,
and wish to prevent it from happening again.

Or, perhaps, because you are simply ill-bred. The more well-bred
rarely exhibit the distain they hold for the boorishly behaved, or
react to them. That would allow the boorishly behaved control over
one's emotions and thereby lower the better behaved person's
self-esteem. The boorishly behaved idiot perhaps goes on to feel
"victorious"... but nothing has been won except in their boorish
imagination.

Like Brent, when you spend every second of your life looking for
adversaries you should not be surprised when you find them at every
intersection, along every straightaway, around every corner and in
every parking lot. In most cases I believe their adversarial behavior
is misinterpreted and/or imagined by you both.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by
stupidity."
-----

- gpsman

Old September 10th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"gpsman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> [...]

and wish to prevent it from happening again.

Or, perhaps, because you are simply ill-bred. The more well-bred
rarely exhibit the distain they hold for the boorishly behaved, or
react to them. That would allow the boorishly behaved control over
one's emotions and thereby lower the better behaved person's
self-esteem. The boorishly behaved idiot perhaps goes on to feel
"victorious"... but nothing has been won except in their boorish
imagination.

Like Brent, when you spend every second of your life looking for
adversaries you should not be surprised when you find them at every
intersection, along every straightaway, around every corner and in
every parking lot. In most cases I believe their adversarial behavior
is misinterpreted and/or imagined by you both.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by

___________

Now that is absolute ownership... nice work. You hit the nail on the head.

brink

Old September 10th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

brink wrote:
> Now that is absolute ownership... nice work. You hit the nail on the head.

I assume you remember the thread I started mentioning how I got some
slow cyclists to follow the rules and subsequently out of my way by
repeatedly telling them to move right. Do you now think I should have
just stayed behind them and reduced my cruising speed from 20 down to 5
mph for the remaining 2 miles of my trip? That would have wasted 18
minutes of my time.

Old September 10th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Arif Khokar wrote:
> brink wrote:
>> Now that is absolute ownership... nice work. You hit the nail on the head.

> I assume you remember the thread I started mentioning how I got some
> slow cyclists to follow the rules and subsequently out of my way by
> repeatedly telling them to move right. Do you now think I should have
> just stayed behind them and reduced my cruising speed from 20 down to 5
> mph for the remaining 2 miles of my trip? That would have wasted 18
> minutes of my time.

Bicycling is a great example of how slow drivers behave when they
preceive delay. I've found they become angerier and more upset than any
fast drivers. Fast drivers tend to just move left and go, they are gone,
long gone. No problem. Slow drivers can get angry, hostile. Plus they'll
sit around and delay themselves to screw with a bicyclist.

Of course nothing quite makes a slow driver as angry as passing them
with a bicycle.

Last dufus like that I encountered wasn't accelerating and I was about
to end up waiting an additional cycle because of him. So I pulled out
into the left lane (empty, as everyone else had made it through the
intersection by then) and started to pass him. Now he decides to
accelerate a little faster. Took him to 32mph where he then decided to
just camp out to my right and match my speed.... I fell in behind him
and then he started swerving across both lanes and nailing the brakes at
random to try and get me to hit him I suppose. All I did was try to pass
him with my bicycle...

Old September 10th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> brink wrote:
>> Now that is absolute ownership... nice work. You hit the nail on the
>> head.

> I assume you remember the thread I started mentioning how I got some slow
> cyclists to follow the rules and subsequently out of my way by repeatedly
> telling them to move right. Do you now think I should have just stayed
> behind them and reduced my cruising speed from 20 down to 5 mph for the
> remaining 2 miles of my trip?

Do I think you should have done that? Yes.

Would I do it? Of course not.

brink

Old September 10th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel

brink wrote:
> "gpsman" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>
>>http://i2.tinypic.com/2j2hy1d.jpg
>>
>>So I was pulling into a strip mall parking lot yesterday evening (I
>>was at the position marked in blue in the above picture). As I'm
>>preparing to make a left turn along the path indicated by the blue
>>arrow, I noticed an SUV stopped in the traffic lane at the location
>>marked in red. A pedestrian was standing on the passenger side of the
>>SUV attempting to enter the vehicle. In a scene straight out of
>>"Saturday Night Fever," the driver of the SUV kept moving forward and
>>reverse just as the pedestrian's hand was about to touch the door
>>handle, preventing him from gripping the handle and opening the door.
>>
>>Now, I suppose I could have taken the path marked in yellow. Yes, it
>>would have been driving the "wrong" way, but this was, after all, a
>>parking lot, and the proper lane was being blocked by a MFFY. Or I
>>could have continued straight ahead and taken the long way around.
>>Instead, for a (literal) change of pace, I decided to follow the
>>teachings of the JLEDI masters in this group, and I sat there and
>>waited while these two assclowns ****ed around. Finally the pedestrian
>>got in and the SUV pulled forward, clearing the way for me to complete
>>my turn.
>>
>>Net loss: 30 seconds of my valuable time.
>>Net gain: NOTHING.
>>
>>So I gotta ask you JLEDIs: what's in it for you? What do you get in
>>exchange for the time that you allow others to steal from you? Do you
>>get a warm fuzzy feeling inside? Do you feel better about yourself in
>>some way? And what is it that stops you from defending yourself
>>against those who would use you as their doormat?
>>
>>What am I missing?

> Mostly, I think, any sense of public decorum while nestled anonymously
> in your private vehicle and a distorted sense of time and your time's
> value. Any person who measures their life in seconds wastes a great
> deal of their life counting seconds. If your time were that valuable
> you would operate your life more efficiently and/or run in every
> instance where you now walk.
>
> It's all a matter of perspective.

Indeed. Now if you ask my boss, he will remind you that my time gets
costed to whatever job I'm working on at a fairly high rate, so if it
takes me an extra half hour to get to a job site that's costing the
company money (not to mention that's a half hour of my life that I've
lost for no good reason, since generally I don't stop working
automatically after eight hours; I'm generally responsible for getting
tasks done, therefore if I'm needlessly delayed, I still have things to
do.) Therefore, the little delays really do matter, and I do wish that
people would show some "sense of public decorum while nestled
anonymously in (their) vehicles" and not needlessly block other motorists.

(snip armchair psychologist babble.)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old September 10th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), brink said in
rec.autos.driving:
> Mostly, I think, any sense of public decorum while nestled anonymously
> in your private vehicle and a distorted sense of time and your time's
> value. Any person who measures their life in seconds wastes a great
> deal of their life counting seconds. If your time were that valuable
> you would operate your life more efficiently and/or run in every
> instance where you now walk.
>
> It's all a matter of perspective.

I have to agree with you here. Scott is beginning to sound like a prime
candidate for a heart attack or a stroke at the rate he's been going
these days.

--
F orever
B enefitting
Old September 10th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

brink wrote:
> "Arif Khokar" > wrote in message

>> I assume you remember the thread I started mentioning how I got some slow
>> cyclists to follow the rules and subsequently out of my way by repeatedly
>> telling them to move right. Do you now think I should have just stayed
>> behind them and reduced my cruising speed from 20 down to 5 mph for the
>> remaining 2 miles of my trip?

> Do I think you should have done that? Yes.

So you're saying I should have slowed down and patiently rode behind
them at a fast walking pace for the next 25 minutes?

> Would I do it? Of course not.

Oh, so I have to be a JLEDI, but you don't?
Old September 10th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> brink wrote:
>> "Arif Khokar" > wrote in message

>>> I assume you remember the thread I started mentioning how I got some
>>> slow cyclists to follow the rules and subsequently out of my way by
>>> repeatedly telling them to move right. Do you now think I should have
>>> just stayed behind them and reduced my cruising speed from 20 down to 5
>>> mph for the remaining 2 miles of my trip?

>> Do I think you should have done that? Yes.

> So you're saying I should have slowed down and patiently rode behind them
> at a fast walking pace for the next 25 minutes?

Yes.

Old September 10th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Nate Nagel > wrote in
:

> [...]

>> were that valuable you would operate your life more efficiently
>> and/or run in every instance where you now walk.
>>
>> It's all a matter of perspective.

> Indeed. Now if you ask my boss, he will remind you that my time gets
> costed to whatever job I'm working on at a fairly high rate, so if it
> takes me an extra half hour to get to a job site that's costing the
> company money (not to mention that's a half hour of my life that I've
> lost for no good reason, since generally I don't stop working
> automatically after eight hours; I'm generally responsible for getting
> tasks done, therefore if I'm needlessly delayed, I still have things
> to do.) Therefore, the little delays really do matter, and I do wish
> that people would show some "sense of public decorum while nestled
> anonymously in (their) vehicles" and not needlessly block other

How often do you travel to a job site through a shopping center PARKING
LOT? Both of Scott's examples were in shopping center parking lots.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik