1997 Chevy Silverado

Old January 21st 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
General

Default 1997 Chevy Silverado

I have a 1997 Chevy Silveradoo with a 5.7 litre engine. Recently it has
started to miss badly when in idle. I had it scoped of which the
computer stated that at first cylinders 5 and 7 were missing....less
than a minute later 5 and 7 were firing again but cylinder 4 was now
missing...then it was neither 5,7, or 4, but only 3 missing. I have
recently changed all spark plugs and wires less than 60 000km with
orignal OEM parts (AC Delco). Also, it is becoming harder to start with
the first turn of the key. I suspect the fuel pump, but was wondering
if anyone else has had similar symptoms before. Thanks for your input
into the matter.

Old January 21st 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

General wrote:
> I have a 1997 Chevy Silveradoo with a 5.7 litre engine. Recently it has
> started to miss badly when in idle. I had it scoped of which the
> computer stated that at first cylinders 5 and 7 were missing....less
> than a minute later 5 and 7 were firing again but cylinder 4 was now
> missing...then it was neither 5,7, or 4, but only 3 missing. I have
> recently changed all spark plugs and wires less than 60 000km with
> orignal OEM parts (AC Delco). Also, it is becoming harder to start with
> the first turn of the key. I suspect the fuel pump, but was wondering
> if anyone else has had similar symptoms before. Thanks for your input
> into the matter.

It's good to hear that you used OE tuneup parts. I'm going to suggest
two mo AC Delco cap and rotor. Your engine has a funky distributor
cap that I can only assume was designed using the 'style over
substance' method. You will notice that the plug wires exit the cap
neatly to the left and right sides, unlike on conventional caps where
each wire is equally spaced around the diameter of the cap. Cool, huh?
The problem is that to make the cap look like that, most of the cap's
spark plug wire terminals aren't anywhere near where the rotor "fires"
their respective cylinders. If you inspect the top of the cap you will
see the molded-in routing that dictates which terminal is fed by which
clock position on the distributor.

The real damning evidence here is that cylinder 5's plug wire enters
right where the cylinder 7 terminal is inside the cap. It's the same
for the cylinder 4 wire and cylinder 3 terminal. Now you can see why
an ignition crossfire is so likely, and it is also likely that
something like this would be intermittant, setting the misfire codes in
no particular order. The 4/3 combination is *really* close on the cap,
as is the 7/2. There are many problem areas where ignition crossfire
is facilitated on this cap, so you could conceivably see more misfire
codes in the future.

Try the cap and rotor for ~$50US and see if that takes care of it.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old January 21st 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
General

Thanks, but there is no Cap....it is individual coil packs for each
cylinder. I'm quite certain now it is the fuel pump.

Old January 22nd 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article
om>,
"General" > wrote:

> Comboverfish wrote:
> > General wrote:
> > > I have a 1997 Chevy Silveradoo with a 5.7 litre engine. Recently it has
> > > started to miss badly when in idle. I had it scoped of which the
> > > computer stated that at first cylinders 5 and 7 were missing....less
> > > than a minute later 5 and 7 were firing again but cylinder 4 was now
> > > missing...then it was neither 5,7, or 4, but only 3 missing. I have
> > > recently changed all spark plugs and wires less than 60 000km with
> > > orignal OEM parts (AC Delco). Also, it is becoming harder to start with
> > > the first turn of the key. I suspect the fuel pump, but was wondering
> > > if anyone else has had similar symptoms before. Thanks for your input
> > > into the matter.

> > It's good to hear that you used OE tuneup parts. I'm going to suggest
> > two mo AC Delco cap and rotor. Your engine has a funky distributor
> > cap that I can only assume was designed using the 'style over
> > substance' method. You will notice that the plug wires exit the cap
> > neatly to the left and right sides, unlike on conventional caps where
> > each wire is equally spaced around the diameter of the cap. Cool, huh?
> > The problem is that to make the cap look like that, most of the cap's
> > spark plug wire terminals aren't anywhere near where the rotor "fires"
> > their respective cylinders. If you inspect the top of the cap you will
> > see the molded-in routing that dictates which terminal is fed by which
> > clock position on the distributor.
> >
> > The real damning evidence here is that cylinder 5's plug wire enters
> > right where the cylinder 7 terminal is inside the cap. It's the same
> > for the cylinder 4 wire and cylinder 3 terminal. Now you can see why
> > an ignition crossfire is so likely, and it is also likely that
> > something like this would be intermittant, setting the misfire codes in
> > no particular order. The 4/3 combination is *really* close on the cap,
> > as is the 7/2. There are many problem areas where ignition crossfire
> > is facilitated on this cap, so you could conceivably see more misfire
> > codes in the future.
> >
> > Try the cap and rotor for ~$50US and see if that takes care of it.
> >
> > Toyota MDT in MO

> Thanks, but there is no Cap....it is individual coil packs for each
> cylinder. I'm quite certain now it is the fuel pump.

Then it is not a 1997 Silverado with a 5.7.
Old January 22nd 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> In article
> om>,
> "General" > wrote:
> >
> > Comboverfish wrote:
> > >
> > > It's good to hear that you used OE tuneup parts. I'm going to suggest
> > > two mo AC Delco cap and rotor. Your engine has a funky distributor
> > > cap that I can only assume was designed using the 'style over
> > > substance' method. You will notice that the plug wires exit the cap
> > > neatly to the left and right sides, unlike on conventional caps where
> > > each wire is equally spaced around the diameter of the cap. Cool, huh?
> > > The problem is that to make the cap look like that, most of the cap's
> > > spark plug wire terminals aren't anywhere near where the rotor "fires"
> > > their respective cylinders. If you inspect the top of the cap you will
> > > see the molded-in routing that dictates which terminal is fed by which
> > > clock position on the distributor.
> > >
> > > The real damning evidence here is that cylinder 5's plug wire enters
> > > right where the cylinder 7 terminal is inside the cap. It's the same
> > > for the cylinder 4 wire and cylinder 3 terminal. Now you can see why
> > > an ignition crossfire is so likely, and it is also likely that
> > > something like this would be intermittant, setting the misfire codes in
> > > no particular order. The 4/3 combination is *really* close on the cap,
> > > as is the 7/2. There are many problem areas where ignition crossfire
> > > is facilitated on this cap, so you could conceivably see more misfire
> > > codes in the future.
> > >
> > > Try the cap and rotor for ~$50US and see if that takes care of it.
> > >
> > > Toyota MDT in MO

> > Thanks, but there is no Cap....it is individual coil packs for each
> > cylinder. I'm quite certain now it is the fuel pump.

> Then it is not a 1997 Silverado with a 5.7.

Geez, you ever get the feeling you just wasted 200+ words?

Is a 5.7 litre different in Canada than a US 5.7 liter? Hmmm...

Toyota MDT in MO

Old January 22nd 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
General

please stop wasting my time yank.

Old January 22nd 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
General

Sure it is. Perhaps it is different up here.

Old January 22nd 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

General top posted:
> please stop wasting my time yank.

I will in no way impede you from ****ing yourself. Good luck with the
simple problem you can't figure out.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old January 22nd 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Smith

Don't know answer to question, but my '97 K1500 with 5.7 doesn't have coil
packs.

Old January 22nd 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_2_]

"General" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> please stop wasting my time yank.

I, for one, do not understand why Comboverfish's comprehensive
response--obviously laborously created to help one specific person out of
his plight--called for or deserved such an insulting reply. His responses
have pretty much all been unselfish sharing of real-world experiences, not
mere quotes from repair manuals or highly theoretical guesses. He even
admitted having been 'off the mark' about his analysis of an unusual vehicle
when he said, "Geez, you ever get the feeling you just wasted 200+
words?"--obviously a self-deprecating remark and an apparent apology.
Please continue offering your expertise, C-Fish, as many of us benefit
from and appreciate your ideas. s