'90 Civic LX Rear Speaker Install Advice Needed

Old October 10th 04, 05:32 AM
WaterWatcher

Default '90 Civic LX Rear Speaker Install Advice Needed

Hi all. After only 14 years I've decided two stereo speakers aren't enough
in my '90 Civic sedan. I want to install two 6 1/2" speakers in the rear
deck. The metal under this deck has cutouts for what appears to be 6 1/2"
speakers, with three screw holes. Do I just cut the fiberboard from above
the cutouts and drop the speakers in from the top and drill new holes? Or
do the speakers mount from the bottom? There seems to be very little
clearance underneath for bottom mounting due to the trunk lid springs
running accross there. Also, the cutouts seem to press against the speaker
cone surrounds when I hold them up there from the bottom. Anyone have
experience doing this?

Thanks for any advice,
WW

Old October 24th 04, 12:10 AM
lamont1

honda's usually have the same type of rear speaker installation proceedure,
the cars that came with speakers have a hole that doesnt seem that big
because the speakers mount to the honda speaker grills, they actually are
about an inch above the rear deck. then the magnets stick out through that
hole. you should get some speaker grills for that car mount the speakers to
it then drop them in the hole. i have those grills by the way on a parts
car.

Old October 25th 04, 06:14 AM
WaterWatcher

Thanks. I ended up cutting the rear deck out where the metal had the
speaker holes underneath and screwing the speakers to the fiberboard deck
from the top. Probably not the best way to do it but it works. Not much
clearance in there for a screwdriver either with the slope of the rear
window. Next time I'm at the wrecking yard I'll have a look for those
grilles you mention.

WW

Old October 28th 04, 07:27 AM
Red Cloud

"WaterWatcher" > wrote in message news:<qX2ad.231821$3l3.23777@attbi_s03>...
> Hi all. After only 14 years I've decided two stereo speakers aren't enough
> in my '90 Civic sedan. I want to install two 6 1/2" speakers in the rear
> deck. The metal under this deck has cutouts for what appears to be 6 1/2"
> speakers, with three screw holes. Do I just cut the fiberboard from above
> the cutouts and drop the speakers in from the top and drill new holes? Or
> do the speakers mount from the bottom? There seems to be very little
> clearance underneath for bottom mounting due to the trunk lid springs
> running accross there. Also, the cutouts seem to press against the speaker
> cone surrounds when I hold them up there from the bottom. Anyone have
> experience doing this?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> WW

You don't cut the hole big. The speaker must not going down too much when
you can't open the truck. See there is a truck opening metal run through
the underneath the speaker that make sure not to touch that when you install
the speaker.