2000 3.8L T&C Throwing It's Belt

Old November 3rd 04, 12:57 AM
Richard Smith

Default 2000 3.8L T&C Throwing It's Belt

Twice in the past two months it's thrown the serpentine belt. Tensioner
moves normally and the belt doesn't appear glazed. What should I be looking
for?

The only contributing factor could be water splash from a puddle...but the
splash guard is still in place so I'm not sure that's a part of it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Old November 3rd 04, 03:23 AM
Bill Putney

Richard Smith wrote:

> Twice in the past two months it's thrown the serpentine belt. Tensioner
> moves normally and the belt doesn't appear glazed. What should I be looking
> for?
>
> The only contributing factor could be water splash from a puddle...but the
> splash guard is still in place so I'm not sure that's a part of it.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

I haven't seen this question come up in a long time, but it used to
appear quite often. I believe the answer is some problem with the idler
pulley being out of plane - requires replacement or shiming or
something. Do a Google search on this ng and you should find the answer
several times (or some nice person who really knows the answer will post
it).

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old November 3rd 04, 03:23 AM
Bill Putney

Old November 3rd 04, 09:26 AM
maxpower

Idler pulley going bad and causing belt out of alignment. A/c drain tube
missing and when turning corners water from drain hits P/s pulley causing it
to slide off alignment or even cause to fall off

Old November 3rd 04, 09:26 AM
maxpower

Old November 5th 04, 02:13 AM
jim cronin

I had seven belts replaced, they replaced the belt tensioner 2 times,
replaced the AC compressor once a pulley then they went to a tech service
bulletin for a 1999 Chrysler that told them to replace the main bracket that
bolts to the engine part number 4612412. That worked been good since June of
2003. My wife was so afraid to drive the car I went out and bought a Honda
Accord. Now I have 3 cars

Old November 5th 04, 02:13 AM
jim cronin

Old November 5th 04, 02:48 AM