Is it bad to start car with gas pedal to floor?

Old February 6th 07, 01:41 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Default Is it bad to start car with gas pedal to floor?

William H. Bowen wrote:

> How old is this Lumina and does it have fuel injection or a carb (some
> very early ones did actually use a Rochester E2SE 2-barrel carb with
> electronic mixture control)?

A carbureted LUMINA? Nope. Don't think so. The very early Cavalier and
Citation were carb'd, but not a Lumina.
Old February 7th 07, 10:40 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
William H. Bowen

Steve > wrote:

>William H. Bowen wrote:
>
>> How old is this Lumina and does it have fuel injection or a carb (some
>> very early ones did actually use a Rochester E2SE 2-barrel carb with
>> electronic mixture control)?

>A carbureted LUMINA? Nope. Don't think so. The very early Cavalier and
>Citation were carb'd, but not a Lumina.

Steve,

You're partially right - I was thinking 1982-84 vintage, which is of
course the Celebrity, not the Lumina.

That's what I get for trying to reply to posts at 3 in the morning.

Bill
Old February 10th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
> I guess my 1978 Dodge van is cold natured.In cold weather,the way I
> crank it up is to press the gas pedal to the floor twice and switch on
> the ignition,it won't start the first time or second time,but on the
> third try it always cranks up.When it does crank it runs kind of raggity
> untill the engine warms up.If I sit there and let it warm up for about
> five minutes and then shut it off and wait a few more minutes and then
> crank it up again,it cranks right up and runs ok.I know it needs a new
> choke spring,but new choke springs have been unavailable for years.I
> probally should install a manual choke on there.
> cuhulin

The choke needs to be working properly and properly adjusted for best
cold weather starting. When you press the pedal to the floor twice, you
are giving it a little extra shot of gas via the accelerator pump.

A manual choke conversion is normally pretty easy.

Seems that I have seen some electric conversions too, but never used one,
and havent owned a carbureted car in years.

1994 - 318i Will not Start? Ralph Griffith BMW 0 January 28th 07 10:25 PM
'83 VW Rabbit CIS hard cold start Gene VW water cooled 12 January 22nd 07 01:22 PM
Brake Pedal Fade DavidB Honda 3 December 28th 04 06:21 AM
Sticky clutch pedal (A4) Robert Kidd VW water cooled 2 October 1st 04 01:07 AM