Xenon headlights

Old December 3rd 04, 07:42 AM

Default Xenon headlights

Does anyone know how hard is it to change out the factory headlights
for Xenons?
I have a 2001 325ci.
Thanks for any help.

Old December 3rd 04, 09:05 AM
TonyK

> Does anyone know how hard is it to change out the factory headlights
> for Xenons?
> I have a 2001 325ci.
> Thanks for any help.

ISTR very expensive.

Old December 3rd 04, 11:51 AM
nick smith

"TonyK" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> > Does anyone know how hard is it to change out the factory headlights
> > for Xenons?
> > I have a 2001 325ci.
> > Thanks for any help.
> >

> ISTR very expensive.

In UK its about £500 and a bit of hassle - you can make significant
improvements with Osram silver star or Philips Vision plus for about £20 or £40
if you have four headlights.... Then power them through relays wired with
thick cable so full volts reach the filaments.

Nick

Nick

Old December 3rd 04, 04:50 PM
Ramone Cila

> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how hard is it to change out the factory headlights
> for Xenons?
> I have a 2001 325ci.
> Thanks for any help.

I don't know how hard or how expensive, since I have only had them on new
cars, but they are an incredible driving and safety asset. Truly remarkable,
particularly for people who suffer any type or degree of night blindness,
but better for all in every way.

And on another note: while it seems to escape the attention of most people,
the active headlights are really remarkable. It is amazing what a few
degrees of directed illumination does on a dark road. I love 'em, I don't
know that I would ever consider another *new* car that wasn't fitted with
active zenons.

Old December 3rd 04, 05:26 PM
Jeff Strickland

"nick smith" > wrote in message

> "TonyK" > wrote in message
> >
> > > wrote in message
> > > Does anyone know how hard is it to change out the factory headlights
> > > for Xenons?
> > > I have a 2001 325ci.
> > > Thanks for any help.
> > >

> > ISTR very expensive.
> >

> In UK its about £500 and a bit of hassle - you can make significant
> improvements with Osram silver star or Philips Vision plus for about £20

or £40
> if you have four headlights.... Then power them through relays wired with
> thick cable so full volts reach the filaments.

I put SilverStars in my car, and I did not have to do anything to the
wiring. They are a direct replacement for the halogen lamps that came out.
They don't draw any more current, and certainly not enough more current to
stress the wires. I spent close to $100 (USD) for 4 lamps, and that was
tough to explain to the Mrs.; lights for my car are more than double the
cost of lights for her car.

Old December 3rd 04, 06:10 PM
nick smith

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> > > ISTR very expensive.
> > >

> > In UK its about £500 and a bit of hassle - you can make significant
> > improvements with Osram silver star or Philips Vision plus for about £20

> or £40
> > if you have four headlights.... Then power them through relays wired with
> > thick cable so full volts reach the filaments.
> >

> I put SilverStars in my car, and I did not have to do anything to the
> wiring. They are a direct replacement for the halogen lamps that came out.
> They don't draw any more current, and certainly not enough more current to
> stress the wires. I spent close to $100 (USD) for 4 lamps, and that was
> tough to explain to the Mrs.; lights for my car are more than double the
> cost of lights for her car.

Agreed - you don't HAVE to but typically there is a volt, sometimes more, of
drop in the wiring, switches etc built in as stock, which makes the bulbs not
as bright as they could be. A volt makes a LOT of difference in 12 ! The light
becomes brighter and whiter, all for no extra load !

Nick

Old December 3rd 04, 06:49 PM
Jeff Strickland

"nick smith" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

headlights

> > > In UK its about £500 and a bit of hassle - you can make significant
> > > improvements with Osram silver star or Philips Vision plus for about

£20
> > or £40
> > > if you have four headlights.... Then power them through relays wired

with
> > > thick cable so full volts reach the filaments.
> > >

> > I put SilverStars in my car, and I did not have to do anything to the
> > wiring. They are a direct replacement for the halogen lamps that came

out.
> > They don't draw any more current, and certainly not enough more current

> > stress the wires. I spent close to $100 (USD) for 4 lamps, and that was
> > tough to explain to the Mrs.; lights for my car are more than double the
> > cost of lights for her car.
> >

> Agreed - you don't HAVE to but typically there is a volt, sometimes more,

of
> drop in the wiring, switches etc built in as stock, which makes the bulbs

not
> as bright as they could be. A volt makes a LOT of difference in 12 ! The

light
> becomes brighter and whiter, all for no extra load !
>
> Nick

Are you suggesting that if I cut into the Low Beam wire and add a relay that
gets power directly from the battery using heavier wires, then my lights can
be even brighter?

Old December 3rd 04, 07:08 PM
Randolph

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "nick smith" > wrote in message
> > if you have four headlights.... Then power them through relays wired with
> > thick cable so full volts reach the filaments.
> >

> I put SilverStars in my car, and I did not have to do anything to the
> wiring. They are a direct replacement for the halogen lamps that came out.
> They don't draw any more current, and certainly not enough more current to
> stress the wires.

You are right that the SilverStars draw the same current as standard
bulbs. I think Nick meant to say that using relays is an additional
upgrade that can be done to improve lighting. I do not know how the
wiring is done on a 2001 325ci, but on many cars the entire current for
the headlights go through the headlights switch and meters of wire. The
result is a significant voltage drop before the current reaches the
light bulb. A 10% reduction in voltage results in about a 21% drop in
power at the bulb.

Adding relays to provide power directly from the battery (using the
factory switch to power the relay coils only) can increase the voltage
at the bulb. I did this upgrade to a German car from a somewhat less
prestigious maker, and the improvement was dramatic. Then again, perhaps
BMW already puts relays in the circuit.
Old December 3rd 04, 08:20 PM
bfd

"nick smith" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

This is true for upgrading to factory xenon lights. If the original owner
had purchased xenon lights as a factory option when he bought the car, the
xenon lights with the self-adjusting mechanism, it would have *only* cost
like $750, a relative bargain....

Old December 3rd 04, 09:19 PM
E.R.

In a previous posting, "Jeff Strickland" >
had the audacity to say:

:Are you suggesting that if I cut into the Low Beam wire and add a relay that
:gets power directly from the battery using heavier wires, then my lights can
:be even brighter?

Yup.

Should be plenty of (correct, useful, informative) information
on this at www.danielsternlighting.com

--
E.R. aka SJG aka Ricardo
present location: vancouver bc canada