RIM SIZE FOR 2006 WRANGLER X

Old August 27th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Default RIM SIZE FOR 2006 WRANGLER X

Tracie wrote:

> Sorry....one moret thing. What about extended bumpstops? Do I need
> them for the front AND rear with the 2.25" spacer lift or just for the
> rear?

You need to extend the bumpstops to match the spacer lift on front and
back or things can bottom out and break.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Old August 27th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Tracie wrote:

> Bill/Mike/TW --
>
> That's what I thought. I didn't think there was a difference in the
> height either. In order to save myself all the headaches (and you
> poor guys as well ), I have decided to go with a 2.25" coil spacer
> lift with the new shocks and my stock springs. I will most likely add
> a 1" body lift for 32" tire clearance in the future. Which will still
> give me roughly 5.5" of lift (with the 32s). And that's close enough
> to what I wanted overall anyway (I wanted 6" of lift overall, but will
> settle for 5.5").
>
> Someone mentioned that when you get over 2" of suspension lift (Mike I
> think this was you), that you start to have all sorts of headaches.
> Not to sound silly, but will the 2.25" spacer vs. the 2" spacer make
> much difference in the way of potential headaches associated with
> driveshaft, adjustable control arms, etc.?

At 2" you are walking a fine line as Bill noted that could have issues
with vibes, especially when running empty. You want 2.25"

Some vehicles will present this more than others as no two are exactly
the same for every angle. There is no way to tell.

I am running at the edge of trouble on my 3" lift because it used the
wrong shackles that were recommended by a 'so called' Jeep Shop back
when I didn't know any better. (these guys are 'set up' artists, they
set you up for their future income) I get a driveline harmonic rumble
when I run empty and no top or doors 'and' I eat driveshaft u-joints
faster than I should likely. I can change a u-joint on the side of the
trail in 10 minutes though...

Old August 27th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bill Spiliotopoulos

? "Tracie" > ?????? ??? ??????
oups.com...
On Aug 27, 8:25 am, "Bill Spiliotopoulos" > wrote:
> [...]

> > which requires the pinion angle to be set almost parallel to the
> > driveshaft (0.5 degrees lower). You won't notice driveline vibes when in
> > 2wd mode though. But the front pinion angle also affects the front
> > caster
> > angle.
> > By raising 2" in the TJ, the caster increases from -7 degrees to
> > about -5.
> > The front pinion also gets 2 degrees higher than the driveshaft. By
> > re-adjusting the front pinion angle, you fix the caster angle also. When
> > the front pinion is adjusted properly, you loose only 0.3 degrees of
> > caster angle for the 2" lift compared to the factory caster setting.

> > Now I speak all this from personal experience on the exact same vehicle
> > as
> > the O.P., as I have installed the same lift on my TJ and setting the
> > pinion angles was what made it to ride smooth like stock again.

> > About adding cargo and upsetting the rear driveline angle to create
> > vibes,
> > this is what happens in the TJ.
> > There is a range that the pinion angle may be off, which doesn't create
> > noticeable vibes. The rear pinion is set to the upper side of this
> > range.
> > When you load the TJ and the suspension its lower, the rear pinion will
> > operate to the lower side of the range, and you won't get any vibes.
> > With
> > slight load, the pinion angle is at the center of the range and it feels
> > like running a bit smoother. But if you remove the hardtop and the rear
> > seat, which makes the suspension sit higher, you will notice driveline
> > vibes.

> > Bill Spiliotopoulos,
> > '96 XJ,
> > '06 TJ.

> > ? "Mike Romain" > ?????? ??? ??????
> ng.com...
> >> What 'are' you talking about?

> >> The front has a double cardan or CV joint already so needs 'no
> >> tweaking'
> >> at all even for a larger lift and a 2" is not going to change the rear
> >> enough to matter.

> >> You get that much/more change with a load on or off.

> >> By your reckoning if I put 4 people and gear in my Jeep, it won't drive
> >> because my height will be off by at least 2".

> >> Mike
> >> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> >> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
> >> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> >> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
> >> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

>So what you're saying is this:
>
>I get a 2.25 inch spacer lift with new shocks
>
>When I do get this lift setup, I will have to do two things: a.) drop
>the transfer case 1/2 inch, and b.) readjust the FRONT pinion angle
>which in turn readjusts the caster angle.
>
>Will I have to adjust the REAR trackbar as well with a trackbar

Hi Tracie,

1)
2.25" inch spacers should be used if you remove the existing 0.25 factory
installed spacers/isolators in the TJ.
More than 2" spacer lift is not recomended.

If you get the 2" spacers, you must use them together with the factory 0.25
spacers to achieve the 2" lift.

2)
I have dropped the transfer case about 1/2 inch, but I have the D44 rear,
which has a shorter driveshaft and the pinion angle is affected more by the
lift, than a D35.

On the 2006 TJ model, if you have ABS, you have the D44. Otherwise you have
the D35.

I would recomend to you to drop the transfer case by gradually stacking wide
washers between the frame and skid
plate, until the engine doesn't feel rough when accelerating uphill in 1st
or 2nd gear. You will need to replace the 6 transfer case bolts with longer
ones. Start with 4 washers 2mm thick, and add up to 6 or 7. Use the widest
washers you can get (at least 1" diameter).

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'96 XJ
'06 TJ.

Old August 27th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_5_]

Tracie wrote:
> And TW....
>
> You stated that with a 2" inch suspension lift you do NOT need to
> relocate the front or rear track bar. Same question....does the 2.25"
> spacer vs. the 2" spacer change that?

The factory designs the suspension to center the axles under the
body/chassis. When you start lifting the chassis, the axles become
un-centered in relation. The more you lift, the more this occurs. While
it is always best to have everything to factory spec, with 2 or 2.25"
pucks, the axles have not moved a great deal so you can get away without
relocating them to center. Just know that they will be off slightly.

tw

Old August 27th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bill Spiliotopoulos

? "Tracie" > ?????? ??? ??????
oups.com...

Old August 27th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bill Spiliotopoulos

? "Tracie" > ?????? ??? ??????
oups.com...
> On Aug 24, 10:06 am, Tracie > wrote:
>> On Aug 24, 9:42 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>>

>> > What 'are' you talking about?

>> > The front has a double cardan or CV joint already so needs 'no
>> > tweaking'
>> > at all even for a larger lift and a 2" is not going to change the rear
>> > enough to matter.

>> > You get that much/more change with a load on or off.

>> > By your reckoning if I put 4 people and gear in my Jeep, it won't drive
>> > because my height will be off by at least 2".

>> > Mike
>> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
>> > Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
>> > Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
>> > (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

>> Yippee!! I got my BF Goodrich Mud Terrains today! I will be getting
>> them installed this weekend. They are the 31 X 10.5 X 15. They are
>> AWESOME looking!
>>
>> I just have a question. I will be getting a 2.25" coil spacer lift
>> with new shocks sometime in the near future. I just wanted to get the
>> new tires and get them put on first before I did the lift. Do I need
>> an alignment with new tires, or should I wait until I get the lift
>> done to get the alignment?
>>
>> THANKS- Hide quoted text -

> One more question....should I get my stock steering stabilizer
> replaced with a more heavy duty one due to the increase in the size of
> the tires? I am going from 215/75/15 up to 31 X 10.5 X 15.

Nice tires.

Have you tried to fit the 5th tire on the spare tire mount?
You will probably have to relocate the mount a bit higher / outer using some
kind of spacers, and raise the 3rd brake light switch.
Tell us how it fits, I'm interested to buy the same tires later this year.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'96 XJ
'06 TJ.

Old August 27th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_5_]

Bill Spiliotopoulos wrote:
> Nice tires.
>
> Have you tried to fit the 5th tire on the spare tire mount?
> You will probably have to relocate the mount a bit higher / outer using some
> kind of spacers, and raise the 3rd brake light switch.
> Tell us how it fits, I'm interested to buy the same tires later this year.
>
> Bill Spiliotopoulos,
> '96 XJ
> '06 TJ.

Those tires should fit fine on the stock carrier.

tw
Old August 27th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

"Bill Spiliotopoulos" > wrote in message

> On the 2006 TJ model, if you have ABS, you have the D44. Otherwise you
> have the D35.

Bill, are you certain about this? In the past TJ's ABS was not available
with the Dana 44, and if you had the 30" tire/wheel group with ABS, you got
the 35, otherwise it was the 44. At least in 2000 this was true, as the
proof is parked in my garage, and AFAIK every year subsequent has been the
same until '07.

Besides, I don't think the X has the 44 available anyway, but I might be
incorrect.

Old August 27th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_5_]

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:
> Bill, are you certain about this? In the past TJ's ABS was not available
> with the Dana 44, and if you had the 30" tire/wheel group with ABS, you got
> the 35, otherwise it was the 44. At least in 2000 this was true, as the
> proof is parked in my garage, and AFAIK every year subsequent has been the
> same until '07.
>

> Besides, I don't think the X has the 44 available anyway, but I might be
> incorrect.

Matt, you are correct. You were stuck with the D35 if you wanted ABS. It
was never an issue for me because I wanted a D44 and did not want
ABS....not sure about the D44/X thing though I do think it was an option
for the X.

tw
Old August 27th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I have a 2006 TJ with ABS and D44. And I have a brochure from Jeep stating
that with ABS a D44 is required, the brochure was printer in 10/2005.

Here is a scan of the page:
http://alma-tech.com/tmp/06tj-specs.jpg

However, I nearly killed myself one day, while failing to climbing a steep
slippery hill. I could climb 90% up, and then I could not complete the
climb. When I stuck, I hit the brakes to put reverse, but some glitch in
the ABS program had almost disabled the brakes, and the jeep went down the
slope in neutral and no brakes. Almost a free fall and very scaring
experience. I was lucky I didn't skid to the side, and there was a big flat
area at the bottom of the hill and didn't crush anywhere.

From that day I disable ABS everytime I go offroad by removing fuse 7 from
the fusebox behind the glove box.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'96 XJ,
'06 TJ.

? "twaldron" > ?????? ??? ??????
> Matt Macchiarolo wrote:
>> Bill, are you certain about this? In the past TJ's ABS was not available
>> with the Dana 44, and if you had the 30" tire/wheel group with ABS, you
>> got the 35, otherwise it was the 44. At least in 2000 this was true, as
>> the proof is parked in my garage, and AFAIK every year subsequent has
>> been the same until '07.
>>

>> Besides, I don't think the X has the 44 available anyway, but I might be
>> incorrect.

> Matt, you are correct. You were stuck with the D35 if you wanted ABS. It
> was never an issue for me because I wanted a D44 and did not want
> ABS....not sure about the D44/X thing though I do think it was an option
> for the X.
>
> tw

2006 Wrangler rims fit 94 wrangler?? Anyone have answer? Jeeeprs Jeep 1 May 18th 07 03:37 AM
Noisy new 2006 Wrangler TJ Tracie Jeep 3 February 21st 07 04:16 PM
Tire size for lifted 2002 Jeep Wrangler Wilson Holmes Jeep 6 April 14th 06 09:06 PM
Need Full Size Doors '97 Wrangler TJ jeepers kreepers! Jeep 10 April 2nd 06 04:48 AM
2006 Wrangler changes???? Robert Jeep 8 April 4th 05 05:54 PM