Wrangler Heater Problems..

Old December 16th 04, 06:25 PM
sp

Default Wrangler Heater Problems..

Hello,

The heater in my 97 Wrangler is not near as warm as last year
(according to my wife!) ...Last year it would run you out it was so
hot. This year it barely keeps yo warm.

It also doesn't work on the highest setting which I mentioned before.
I checked the for-mentioned relay that some suggested might be bad.
(Tthe one in the dashboard behind the glove box) and it was ok. I
guess I can get used to not having the highest setting until I can
spare the money to take it to the dealer..but I am confused on why the
heat has gotten cooler.

Any suggestions?

thanks!!
SP
Old December 16th 04, 06:53 PM
Patrick

Best way i to flush and clean the heating/cooling system, and replace the
thermostat...
i always had been very succesfull doing this, for about 50 $ labor included.

Pat

LE CLONE

279 Notre-Dame
Gatineau, Qc
J8P 1K6
(819) 643-0511
SANS FRAIS 1 888 643 0511
NOUVEAU REVENDEUR AUTORISEE SERVICE INTERNET

www.leclone.com

Old December 16th 04, 06:57 PM
Snow

The high speed on the fan runs directly from the battery voltage (ie. it is
12 volts) if the high setting is not working then either you selector switch
is bad or the more common problem the fuse link has blown. If this is the
case then you better get wiring diagrams, a good multimeter and start
trouble shooting everything that's on the same fusible link as something
caused the link to blow. when and only when you find the problem and fix it
replace the fuseable link with one of equal value. Fuseable links are
available at most autoparts stores.

As for testing the fan, directly connect it to the battery and see if it
works.

Snow...

"sp" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> The heater in my 97 Wrangler is not near as warm as last year
> (according to my wife!) ...Last year it would run you out it was so
> hot. This year it barely keeps yo warm.
>
> It also doesn't work on the highest setting which I mentioned before.
> I checked the for-mentioned relay that some suggested might be bad.
> (Tthe one in the dashboard behind the glove box) and it was ok. I
> guess I can get used to not having the highest setting until I can
> spare the money to take it to the dealer..but I am confused on why the
> heat has gotten cooler.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> thanks!!
> SP

---

Old December 16th 04, 07:04 PM
Tom T

Have you checked the water level in the radiator (low level will not
produce
enough heat), bad thermostat (stuck open) or none allowing water to
circulate too
fast. Missing high fan speed must be switch, blower motor, or flaw in
the
wiring.
Get to work, it's getting cold !
Tom T

Old December 16th 04, 09:11 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Your high speed relay is located in your Power Distribution box
next to your battery. Tests similar to this XJ:
http://www.billhughes.com/blower.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old December 16th 04, 09:50 PM
E. Jason Brooks

My heater acted the same way for about a year and then stopped heating
completely. It just put out air that was outdoor temperature. I found out,
after finding another coolant leak on the driveway, that the heater core
went bad. Took it to the shop, they had it for the day and it cost me about
$500. I hope yours is easier and less expensive.

Oh, my evaporator is bad too, so I have no a/c. lol