"bent" tail??

Old July 1st 04, 09:43 PM
sophie

Default "bent" tail??

one of my goldfish (sarassa comet) has a strange bend in the tail part
of her spine - if she was a person it would definitely be scoliosis...
it's got worse in the last week or so; it used to be occasionally
noticeable but today is definitely there all the time. I hope the
diagram below is clear (head at top, tail at bottom, no fin)

/

the only info I could find on bent spines suggested either disease,
including TB, or electric shock. The fish is otherwise fine, eating,
swimming with no problems, behaving normally, so I'm not inclined to
suspect a disease, and I honestly don't see that the filter could be
leaking electricity into the tank without shorting itself out or harming
the other fish...

is there a problem? or have I just got a wonky fish?

--
sophie
Old July 2nd 04, 08:41 AM
sophie

In message ,
writes
#1 cause .. vitamin C deficiency
#2 cause ... nutrient deficiency
#3 cause .. genetic problem
# 25 ... stray electrical current

thanks Ingrid; as the fish eats a varied (and fairly sensible, I think)
diet, can I rule out #1 and #2? and as I'm pretty sure it's not #25,
that probably leaves #3. (do I need to worry about #4 - #24??)

sophie wrote:

one of my goldfish (sarassa comet) has a strange bend in the tail part
of her spine - if she was a person it would definitely be scoliosis...
it's got worse in the last week or so; it used to be occasionally
noticeable but today is definitely there all the time. I hope the
diagram below is clear (head at top, tail at bottom, no fin)

/

the only info I could find on bent spines suggested either disease,
including TB, or electric shock. The fish is otherwise fine, eating,
swimming with no problems, behaving normally, so I'm not inclined to
suspect a disease, and I honestly don't see that the filter could be
leaking electricity into the tank without shorting itself out or harming
the other fish...

is there a problem? or have I just got a wonky fish?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

--
sophie
Old July 2nd 04, 02:07 PM
[email protected]

Old July 2nd 04, 03:01 PM
[email protected]

varied food doesnt necessarily mean there is enough vitamin C. but..... I put stray
current way down the list cause it is rare. usually people will feel a buzz from the
water and know something is up.
the fish could also have damaged the back, either when young, or, done something to
it and the muscles arent working right. sorta like bruising muscles and not being
able to move those until they heal.

In message ,
writes

FANTAIL TAIL LENGTH cabaloz Goldfish 1 May 14th 04 03:05 AM
tail turned blood red [email protected] Goldfish 4 April 29th 04 07:54 PM
Split tail gourami?? Eric Schreiber General 3 December 31st 03 05:37 AM
Koi waving tail David General 4 July 17th 03 04:25 PM
FS: RED (wag tail) Platy's RED (wag tail) Platy's RED (wag tail) Platy's C.S. Marketplace 0 July 1st 03 03:48 PM