Hmm, I wonder what this could do?

Old November 26th 04, 05:45 PM
MCHuntley

Default Hmm, I wonder what this could do?

I was looking over my engine this evening, on my 1986 Vanagon GL. I
discovered a white wire with a female spade connector hanging loose by the
power steering pump. There is another white wire with a female spade
connector plugged into what appears to be a pressure switch on one of the
fittings for the Power Steering pump.
Does anyone know what this wire does, if it is essential? and is that were
it goes? I am still waiting for my shop manual, but finding this wire loose
makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks,
Matt

Old November 28th 04, 12:13 PM

MCHuntley wrote:
> I was looking over my engine this evening, on my 1986 Vanagon GL. I
> discovered a white wire with a female spade connector hanging loose by the
> power steering pump. There is another white wire with a female spade
> connector plugged into what appears to be a pressure switch on one of the
> fittings for the Power Steering pump.
> Does anyone know what this wire does, if it is essential? and is that were
> it goes? I am still waiting for my shop manual, but finding this wire loose
> makes me uncomfortable.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Is it all white or does it have a colored stripe on it as well?

TBerk
Old November 28th 04, 12:13 PM

Old November 30th 04, 09:43 PM
MCHuntley

It looks the same as the other wire plugged into the sensor.
I plugged it in. It has made no noticable difference.
I have heard it was some kind of Idle/Steering at full lock sensor. I will
have to try and see how the van behaves with/without it plugged in.

Thanks,
Matt