help! Anenome sucked into power head

Old October 6th 04, 02:21 AM
david

Default help! Anenome sucked into power head

My recently purchased long tentacle anenome was sucked into my rio 2500
powerhead last night. I found it this morning and immediately unplugged the
pump. The power head had the grate on the inflow that has long slits and
all the tentacles were sucked in.

After turning off the pump, the anenome slowly pulled its tentacles out.
Unfortunately it looks like a small part of the main body was also sucked
through one of the slits along with some tentacles. This small part of the
body has swollen and now the anenome can not fit back through and release
itself. It has been this way all day.

I have put the anenome on the bottom of the tank with the cage to the pump
attached to it in the hopes it will work itself out.

Any suggestions please!!!

Old October 6th 04, 02:29 AM
Billy

"david" wrote in message
ink.net...

| Any suggestions please!!!

It's hard, but you must be patient. Any assistance from you may
solidify the creature's fate. You have done everything right thus
far.

---

Old October 6th 04, 02:38 AM
david

Thanks for responding. Can you give me guidance on how to assess the health
of the anenome? is there any risk that an unhealthy anenome will harm the
tank?
"Billy" wrote in message

ink.net...

Old October 6th 04, 04:14 AM
Billy

"david" wrote in message
ink.net...
| Thanks for responding. Can you give me guidance on how to assess
the health
| of the anenome? is there any risk that an unhealthy anenome will
harm the
| tank?

Watch for signs that he appears to be "melting". The flesh of the
anenome will actually begin to break down, and this will cause tank
health issues. Once you see this, I would remove the animal and look
for better covers for the pumps. I've seen people use tiny zip-ties
and plastic mesh sheets from the craft store, old ladies and little
girls use it for "latch-hooking" or some such.

---

Old October 6th 04, 11:07 AM
david

Update: Good news. Last night the anenome pulled its body out of the pump
grate/cage. However, for some bizzare reason, the anenome is still using
what looks like sunction cups or mini tentacles located just below the large
tentacles to hold on to the outside of the pump grate/cage. As a result the
pump cage, which makes a great sail, is taking the anenome for a free ride
around the tank. I can not understand why it won't let go.
"david" wrote in message
ink.net...
My recently purchased long tentacle anenome was sucked into my rio 2500
powerhead last night. I found it this morning and immediately unplugged

the
pump. The power head had the grate on the inflow that has long slits and
all the tentacles were sucked in.

After turning off the pump, the anenome slowly pulled its tentacles out.
Unfortunately it looks like a small part of the main body was also sucked
through one of the slits along with some tentacles. This small part of

the
body has swollen and now the anenome can not fit back through and release
itself. It has been this way all day.

I have put the anenome on the bottom of the tank with the cage to the pump
attached to it in the hopes it will work itself out.

Any suggestions please!!!

The 2$ CO2 power reactor [email protected] Plants 0 October 3rd 04 08:33 AM
Throttle a pump harmful? Ross Bagley Reefs 38 March 11th 04 05:11 PM
power head and a filter david winch Goldfish 1 February 23rd 04 02:20 AM
Power Head ? AK Reefs 4 December 8th 03 08:13 PM
How to hook skimmer to power head? Pete Reefs 2 August 1st 03 03:02 AM