Why are there cobwebs in my tank?

Old February 21st 05, 09:19 AM
thewes

Default Why are there cobwebs in my tank?

Hi eveyrone. I'm having a bit of an issue. I have two bettas hanging
out in a 10g tank. I've noticed that my tanks is full of cobweb-like
wisps. It is the strangest thing. It does not seem to be effecting the
bettas at all, they seem fine. But it seems like there is more of this
stuff all the time. I've looked online and I can't figure anything out
about this. Despite the fact that it does not SEEM to be hurting the
fish (yet), it's really bothering me. It is this opaque, cloudy, thick
wisps just floating through my tank and clinging on to the filter
intake, the heater, thermometer and even the sides of the tank. Is this
some sort of fungus or algae or something? It appears to be just
slightly more dense than water (if not AS dense) considering how easy
it moves through water. I begining to wonder if it is the biproduct of
the chemicals I'm adding to my tank?? Here is a list...
-Bit of aquarium salt
-small daily doses of MelaFix
-small daily doses of PimaFix
-AquaSafe by Tetra
-EasyBalance by Tetra
-Little bit of Stress Coat

I was thinking it could be some sort of remaining residue from the
EasyBalance. Seems to be the same consistancy but different color? I
had my filter off for a while while i was treating them with the
MelaFix/PimaFix combo, it's on though. Sorry, I'm a total novice with
aquaria, and im super worried. If anyone has any advice or clue as to
what this could be or how to fix it, i would be much in debt! Thanks
everyone!

Old February 21st 05, 10:41 AM
Elaine T

thewes wrote:
[...]

Ugh. Why are you adding all those chemicals to your tank??? The ONLY
things you should be adding to the tank on a regular basis are plant
fertilizers if you have live plants. Add Stress Coat or AquaSafe but
not both to your bucket of tap water to dechlorinate it when you do a
water change. And if your bucket of tapwater holds 2 gallons, add a 2
gallon dose, not 10. When you've run out of both of those, which should
take you a very long time, buy a simpler dechlorinator like AmQuel for
chloramines or Genesis for chlorine.

If you're adding salt daily, that's building up in the tank water too.
Bettas don't even like salt! And the claims on Tetra's EasyBalance are
ridiculous. There is no way around changing water and no reason to use
the stuff at all. You don't mention why you were using melafix/pimafix
but when you use a medicine, only remove any carbon from your filter.
Don't turn it off or you'll lose the beneficial bacteria that convert
ammonia to nitrate.

As for the wisps, it could be fungus, bacteria, who knows? Stress coat
has aloe in it that adds organics to the water as do melafix and pimafix
so lots of things could be living on the organics in your tankwater.
Clean up the water and the thready stuff will probably go away.

Since you had your filter off (don't do that again, please), you may get
an ammonia spike. IF you measure ammonia, add one dose of AquaSafe to
detoxify it.

You need to start doing water changes to remove all the chemicals from
the water, but your fish are used to them and large water changes may
shock the fish. I think I'd change only a gallon a day for maybe 5
days, disturbing the fish as little as possible. Then I'd start doing
20% water changes with gravel-vacs twice a week in case there's uneaten
food adding to the problem. Once the weird thready stuff is gone, I'd

__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old February 21st 05, 07:26 PM
spiral_72

HA!
Your funny Elaine..... Hehehe.

Old February 21st 05, 09:35 PM
Elaine T

spiral_72 wrote:
HA!
Your funny Elaine..... Hehehe.

Not sure what the funny part was, but glad to make someone laugh. *grin*

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old February 22nd 05, 01:39 AM
NetMax

"thewes" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I looked after a 37g which had these annoying algae 'hairs' which were
several inches long. It was a bit of a nuisance to get rid off, and I
don't think I was completely successful. I used mechanical removal
(toothbrush twirling) and was going to try changes in the lights next. I
know there was no salt, MelaFix, PimaFix, AquaSafe, Stress Coat or
EasyBalance in that tank. Do you really keep fish in that soup? I dare
say someone saw you coming. Shame on the pet shop that has been giving
you advice. I would take Elaine's recommendations and try to get these
fish back into water.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old March 1st 05, 08:04 AM
thewes

hmm thanks for the advice...but i didnt mean to imply i was adding all
these to tank daily or something, if thats what you thought...

the pima and melafix...yea those were going in everyday, but i add both
EasyBalance and AquaSafe to the tank (well, to the new bucket of water)
every water change...which is about an 25% every 2-4 days or so (more
than usual because of this issue). And i only put in Stress Coat after
handling the fish (one betta is an escape artist and jumps into the
other half of the tank) because the store i bought the stuff at told
me it can have a sort of calming effect on the fish as well as help
with the slime coat. little bit more than a teaspoon of aquarium salt
is all that goes in with each water change too. is that really all that
outrageous? did i mention i use a siphon every time i change the water?
also, im not sure what i said that gave you this impression but im not
adding a 10g dose of aquasafe to 2 gallons of water...what sense would
that make? the store keeps telling me the pima and melafix is a must
right now because they are still healing (and look to be fighting some
fin/tailrot still). hmm still looking at everything you said, i cant
understand why you think 'all those chemicals' are so bad...how else do
people control pH, kH, chlorine levels, nitrates, phosphates,
etc..... without putting something in the water? everything ive read
and heard so far says "add ph down/up" "add FloraPride" "add this,
add that" i mean...sorry for being a little new and niave, but is 5mL
of easybalance with every 25% water change going to turn my 10g tank
into 'soup'? what you said though, Elaine, about the various organic
elements in some of these chemicals is very true, so it could be a
sort of fungus or algae...why it is not hurting my fish...i dont know.
the other thing the someone else told me is that this sorta slime is
what bettas produce to retain a bubble nest or something like
that...ive never raised or spawned bettas...so i wouldnt know. like i
said, im not adding all this stuff ALL the time EVERYDAY...and im not
quite sure why you thought that elaine? maybe because i said im new.
new i am, but not totally stupid. again thanks for the info though.
btw im not sure why i had an ! mark in my last post/message...but i
didnt write that...(i dont think?)

Old March 1st 05, 07:39 PM
Batik

I agree with Elaine. That is a lot of chemicals you're adding to the water
at each water change. All i add is dechlorinator, nitrite ammonia should
balance out if your tank i well cycled. pH is okay as long as there aren't
huge variations. I've actually been told that it isn't the actual ph value
fish get affected by but by changes in it and that i shouldn't mess with pH
regulators. In terms of melafix and pinafix i would only add one or the
other. Take care of one problem first then tackle another.

oups.com...

Old March 2nd 05, 03:53 AM
Elaine T

thewes wrote:
[...]

Oh, good. I must have misunderstood how much stuff you were adding.
Your posting style is difficult for me to read.

There is rarely any need to control pH, kH, nitrates, phosphates, etc.
in basic tanks like yours other than by changing water. The fish will
adapt to your local pH and hardness, and the water changes remove the
phosphates, nitrates, and other chemicals that build up. The only you
must have to keep fish is dechlorinator or chloramine neutralizer. You
will read of people controlling water more carefully, but it's usually
for things like heavily planted tanks, discus tanks, or breeding. BTW,
I said to only add 2 gallons' worth for a 2 gallon water change because
I've honestly met people who didn't know that.

Anyone who tells you to add pH up or pH down don't know what they're
talking about (it's a good tip-off to stop listening). pH down is a
great way to grow algae since it's phosphoric acid, and neither works
for more than a short amount of time. Controlling kH is only necessary
if you have very soft water with a lot pH or a lot of live plants.
Easybalance and Stresscoat and simply unnecessary. We NEVER added
Stresscoat to fishtanks after handling fish where I worked and the fish
were always fine. LFS wants more of your money.

Florapride is a potash and iron fertilizer for plants. If you have live
plants, you do need to add fertilizer. In my betta's tank, I add AmQuel
for chloramines when I change water, and fertilizers for the plants.
That's all I use. When he damaged his fins, (stupid fish bit his own
tail) I added ONE half-dose of Melafix and then started changing more
water. His fins did not rot.

As for the cobwebby stuff, if it's is green, it's algae. Twirl the
strands around a toothbrush to remove them and keep it from coming back
by reducing the amount of light on the tank. If you have live plants,
it's not so simple and you have to balance nutrients. If it's white or
grey, it's bacteria or fungus living on excess nutrients in the water
column from overfeeding or the chemicals you are adding. Bettas do not
make "slime" that is visible in a tank. You say the cobwebby stuff is
not hurting your fish, but they have had finrot for over a week.

If I were you, I'd only add AquaSafe for the next few water changes and
filter over fresh carbon to get the Melafix, Pimafix, Stresscoat and
Easybalance out. There's no sense continuing to add Melafix and Pimafix
because the finrot is apparantly resistant to them. That will clean up
the water considerably. Leave the salt out as well because bettas don't
need it. If you want, you can post what you're feeding and people here
can help you decide whether you're feeding the right amount because
excess food and fish waste can foul the water and worsen tank
conditions. Bettas are little piglets and will happily eat more than
they actually need. Overfed bettas tend not to live as long.

Finrot usually goes on a long time in poor water, but heals very easily
if you can provide extremely clean water. If you want to post a
description of the rot, we may be able decide whether a different
medicine or only very clean water is necessary.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__