Best Temperature for Tetras

Old November 15th 04, 02:37 AM
Dan White

Default Best Temperature for Tetras

Just a question. Someone in here recommended that tetras like temps to be
about 80F. I've got black neons, cardinals and just got a few brass tetras.
I had been keeping the temp at 76-77 and they are big and colorful. I've
been surfing around and I haven't really found much that mentions anything
other than temps of "74 to 82" or whatnot. I was hoping to see what the
conventional wisdom is regarding temps for tetras before I make a change
like that. I also have a betta and will have some angels in there soon.

Thanks,
dwhite

Old November 15th 04, 05:48 AM
NetMax

"Dan White" wrote in message
t...
Just a question. Someone in here recommended that tetras like temps to
be
about 80F. I've got black neons, cardinals and just got a few brass
tetras.
I had been keeping the temp at 76-77 and they are big and colorful.
I've
been surfing around and I haven't really found much that mentions
anything
other than temps of "74 to 82" or whatnot. I was hoping to see what
the
conventional wisdom is regarding temps for tetras before I make a
change
like that. I also have a betta and will have some angels in there
soon.

Thanks,
dwhite

Generally speaking, the higher temperatures will increase their rate of
metabolism, appetite, coloration and activity level. For small tetras,
this probably also reduces their life expectancy, and with small stomachs
they will be hungry more often. An elevated temperature also generally
reduces the amount of pathogen types in the water, increases their
ability to fight off diseases (if they are healthy to start with) and can
make it more difficult to grow certain plants.

Angelfish do well at 77F and 80F. I think Bettas start labouring at much
higher temperatures (but I'm not sure). What is certain is that a
Betta's activity levels are significantly higher at tropical temperatures
(76 to 80F) than at ambient.

All of these general observations may actually not make any significant
difference in your application, so if you find everything is working well
at 77F, I would leave it alone. I've used 77F for literally millions of
fish in 100s of tanks. It's a nice set point as a balance between many
factors (imho).
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old November 15th 04, 08:05 AM
Dan White

"NetMax" wrote in message
.. .

All of these general observations may actually not make any significant
difference in your application, so if you find everything is working well
at 77F, I would leave it alone. I've used 77F for literally millions of
fish in 100s of tanks. It's a nice set point as a balance between many
factors (imho).
--

sounds like good advice. thanks.

dwhite

Best Temperature RedForeman General 5 August 4th 04 09:12 AM
Best Temperature RedForeman General 5 August 4th 04 09:12 AM
how do you temperature match during winter months Dennis Fox General 4 November 4th 03 01:32 AM
Question: how to lower temperature NetMax General 1 July 23rd 03 04:31 AM
Question: how to lower temperature NetMax General 0 July 22nd 03 04:56 AM