156 engine stall

Old January 1st 05, 05:56 AM
jazza

Default 156 engine stall

(1999 5spd manual, 2.0 TSpark)Have an intermittent problem with the engine
not idling. Happened twice lately with engine at normal operating
temperature. Had to keep applying accelerator to keep the engine running
at standstill. Is there an idle valve that controls idle speed which may
be playing up? Cheers.

Old January 2nd 05, 12:13 PM
Simon Mason

"jazza" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> (1999 5spd manual, 2.0 TSpark)Have an intermittent problem with the engine
> not idling. Happened twice lately with engine at normal operating
> temperature. Had to keep applying accelerator to keep the engine running
> at standstill. Is there an idle valve that controls idle speed which may
> be playing up? Cheers.

Sounds like the lambda sensor is faulty. I've had three in 6 years.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old January 2nd 05, 01:02 PM
jazza

Thanks Simon. Seems like a good idea to keep a spare lambda sensor handy.
Excuse the ignorance - could you please tell me where to find the sensor?
I'm new to Alfas - 2 weeks, however I've had a Moto Guzzi California EV
1100 for 3 years (but thats anoter (happy) story).

Old January 2nd 05, 02:08 PM
Catman

jazza wrote:

<snip>
> I'm new to Alfas - 2 weeks, however I've had a Moto Guzzi California EV
> 1100 for 3 years (but thats anoter (happy) story).

A man after my own heart
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old January 3rd 05, 04:04 PM
Simon Mason

"jazza" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Thanks Simon. Seems like a good idea to keep a spare lambda sensor handy.
> Excuse the ignorance - could you please tell me where to find the sensor?
> I'm new to Alfas - 2 weeks, however I've had a Moto Guzzi California EV
> 1100 for 3 years (but thats anoter (happy) story).

I don't exactly know as my dealer has always replaced it. It is somewhere in
the exhaust.
--
Simon M.

Old January 10th 05, 03:44 PM
magoo75

Hi Jazza

I think i have a similar probem. Can you verify if its the same from
the description below.

I have a 2000 156 1.8 TSpark and when idling the rev counter begins to
fluctuate from regular idling revs (about 1000rpm) to almost 500rpm and
then back to the normal idling revs again. It doesn't always happen but
i've noticed that sometimes you do have to give it a bit of welly when
trying to reverse the car or it cuts out. Is this like the problem
you're having? If you could let me know i'd appreciate it. Cheers
Magoo75

Old January 10th 05, 08:05 PM
Alfistagj

This hunting of the revs (something else IMHO than stopping) is usually
cuased by dirt built up in the inner circumference of the air inlet at the
location of the butterfly valve.
Due to this dirt, the butterfly valve doesn't close fully, and let's air
come into the engine although the ECU thinks the valve is closed.
The ECU then gets a signal that the air/fuel mixture is too lean and adds
fuel so it revs up again etc etc.
Just take the look at http://www.pbase.com/tas/various at images 4 through 7
Easy DIY job.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"magoo75" > schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old January 12th 05, 12:28 AM
Ppelectron

>Hi Jazza
>
>I think i have a similar probem. Can you verify if its the same from
>the description below.
>
>I have a 2000 156 1.8 TSpark and when idling the rev counter begins to
>fluctuate from regular idling revs (about 1000rpm) to almost 500rpm and
>then back to the normal idling revs again. It doesn't always happen but
>i've noticed that sometimes you do have to give it a bit of welly when
>trying to reverse the car or it cuts out. Is this like the problem
>you're having? If you could let me know i'd appreciate it. Cheers
>Magoo75

That sounds like the classic butterfly valve problem. I had the same problem on
my 156 V6 and with assistance from several people on here it was traced to a
certain air inlet butterfly valve that is accessed by removing the air tube
that sits between the air filter and the engine. I took the tube off, opened
the valve gently with my fingers and cleaned up the flap and the metal housing
in which it sits. The key is to make sure that it can close properly. Mine had
a little dirt around the edge although not a lot. Took 20 mins and fixed the
problem Yours may or may not be the same....

Phil 156 V6 1998