alfa 156 start problems

Old December 27th 04, 12:19 AM
hmspilky

Default alfa 156 start problems

i got a 156 1.6 tspark lusso on a 51 plate and im well stuck.
the other nite i pulled up in my drive and turned the engine off with no
previouse problems. 9 hours later after a freezing cold nite i go to start
the thing and i get nothin? the car tries to turn over but doesnt start.
after trying both keys i decided to read the book lol. the code key light
doesnt light at all on the dash with either key? but in the book it says
that if theres a prob with it it will flash. ive only had the car a week
and cant get it to the dealer till after new year. any chance its somethin
simple??? oh yeah after the problem i ran the batt down so i replaced it
but still no luck? thx

Old December 27th 04, 12:46 AM
Alfistagj

- low battery?
- did you flood the engine while trying to start?
- if flooded, press the accelerator down for 10 minutes allowing the petrol
to evaporize; them try to start again.
- never start (crank) the engine for longer then 10 seconds at a time; then
wait 30-60 seconds to give the battery time to recuperate. When freezing
your battery will have approx 50% less capacity than when 10ºC
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"hmspilky" > schreef in bericht
lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 27th 04, 06:18 AM
bobdabilda

"Alfistagj" > wrote in message
.. .
> - did you flood the engine while trying to start?
> - if flooded, press the accelerator down for 10 minutes allowing the
> petrol to evaporize; them try to start again.

Are 156's not drive-by-wire?

Old December 27th 04, 02:09 PM
hmspilky

thx for the sugestion but i still get nothing. it seems to be more to do
with the key code or somthing electrical. but im not sure. is there any
way to reset the system? i disconected the battery for 30 mins but ive got
the same problem

Old December 27th 04, 04:30 PM
Neil G

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 08:09:51 -0500, "hmspilky"
> wrote:

Have you tried another (good) battery?

Remember the requirements for combustion

Neil
Old December 27th 04, 06:01 PM
hmspilky

i replaced the battery with a new heavy duty calcium battery

Old December 27th 04, 08:33 PM
Alfistagj

"bobdabilda" > schreef in
bericht ...

> "Alfistagj" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> - did you flood the engine while trying to start?
>> - if flooded, press the accelerator down for 10 minutes allowing the
>> petrol to evaporize; them try to start again.

> Are 156's not drive-by-wire?

Not the older ones.

Old December 27th 04, 10:16 PM
Hughes.

In article outautos.com>,
"hmspilky" > wrote:

> i got a 156 1.6 tspark lusso on a 51 plate and im well stuck.
> the other nite i pulled up in my drive and turned the engine off with no
> previouse problems. 9 hours later after a freezing cold nite i go to start
> the thing and i get nothin? the car tries to turn over but doesnt start.
> after trying both keys i decided to read the book lol. the code key light
> doesnt light at all on the dash with either key? but in the book it says
> that if theres a prob with it it will flash. ive only had the car a week
> and cant get it to the dealer till after new year. any chance its somethin
> simple??? oh yeah after the problem i ran the batt down so i replaced it
> but still no luck? thx

Usual suspects are battery (which you've changed) distributor, rotor arm, loose
HT lead, or knackered plugs (although 8 titanium plugs all stopping working
seems unlikely)

Or it could be the keys as you suspect, or the ECU. Although I seem to remeber
that if the car didn't catch first try and I try to start my car without turning
the key back to the off position the car won't even turn over, so if your car
turns over the engine I don't think it will be the keycode.

--
I Amuse (I am Hughes.)
Judge Nutmeg in #Digi

1998 156 2.0 TS Sport
Old December 28th 04, 08:25 PM
Alfistagj

Old December 28th 04, 10:48 PM
mike

Hi There

Have you tried the automatic fuel cut of switch under the
passenger front seat.

Mike 156 T Spark 1999 T Plate
lkaboutautos.com...

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html